“Perfect to share with a group”
Review of Josie Bones - CLOSED

Josie Bones
Cuisines: Contemporary, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Perfect to share with a group”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Some really interesting dishes. The best in my opinion are the pig trotters spring rolls ( fantastic) and beetroot carpaccio. Some succulent meat dishes aswell. The beer menu is a bit overwhelming but the waiters can guide you as needed - great with a group

• Visited April 2012

Sydney, Australia
“Amazing beer variety”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Went here with my wife and some friends on a trip down to melbourne. I found this place on the web and wasnt aure what to expect except that I had read that the bar had over 200 varieties of beer....i wast 100% sure that was true until they gace me the menu - I gave up after the 10th page cause there was so much variety.

We got some complimentary bread which was delicious an ordered some spanner crab some cuttlefish dishes....both were amazing. The size of the dishes was really small.....far too small for the money you pay for.

Atmosphere was great, the layout of the bar/restaurant was. Even loved the fact that we shared a massive table with some other people - we went there just to have drink so that didn't bother us at all.

Would i go back? yes but next time I would just go there for the beer. Food is great but can hurt your back pocket.

Melbourne
“Meat & Beer but not just for the boys”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Comfortable, cosy and well proportioned room.
The menu is done tapas style however the owner / waitstaff have an excellent knowledge of the dishes and are able to match each to the large supply of beers available.

The pork belly or rabbit is my favourite

Visited July 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Worth every penny - lovely atmosphere, food and service”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Josie Bones certainly isn't the cheapest place to eat, but it's excellent value for money. The serving sizes are great, and I love that you can order individual oysters (as I'm usually with oyster-hating fellow diners!). The food is consistently great every time I go (about 4 or 5 times now), and is great for a date, catching up with friends, or solo. I was a bit anxious the first time I went, as I'd heard it was all about offal, which I'm not a fan of. Whilst there are some unusual cuts of meat on the menu, there are plenty of "regular" cuts, and the less common cuts are so well prepared that you will be rewarded for stepping out of your comfort zone.

I most recently went alone, and the service was impeccable. They seated me at the bar, and the staff serving me were lovely and friendly. I received a great beer recommendation (they have hundreds of beers - draft, bottled and cellared) that matched exactly what I was hankering for. I LOVE the pork ribs, and get them every time -- meat falling off the bone, and their smokey miso BBQ sauce is just amazing. There have been a few incarnations of the quinoa salad, and all have been brilliant. I really love that the serving sizes are moderate: not too much for two plates on your own, or you can grab few to share if dining with friends. It means you can ensure space for dessert (and a dessert wine or beer), which is always terrific. Most recently, I had the tarte tatin with beer caramel and it was very yummy!

I love bringing friends from out of town here, as it's something a bit different, but you can be guaranteed there is something for everyone.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank jujujulia
Australia
“Lovely evening and lovely food”
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

My beer loving husband took some friends and I to dinner here after reading the beer reviews. He was not disappointed and neither were we. The waitress was lovely and helpful, and the food simple, interesting and delicious. I would definitely recommend.