“Local Colour”

Ranked #35 of 126 Restaurants in Collingwood
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, International, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: With great food and drink six nights a week, and some of Melbourne's best live music and DJs on the weekends, it's pretty easy to see why so many folks love to call The Gem in Collingwood their very own pub.Drop in sometime and see why the critics rate our pub grub as some of the best damn pub food in Melbourne.Great music. Great food. A great Collingwood pub. A great Melbourne pub.
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Collingwood was once a working class/industrial inner suburb of Melbourne. In more recent years the popularity of the suburb is reflected in property prices that have become mind-boggling to the oldtimers. The now named "The Gem Bar & Dining Room was once the haunt of the older residents (and their dogs) Now this venue's appearance has not changed so much but the inner workings certainly have... The Gem is now a gastropub of the first order without the airy-fairy airs of some others The menu is regularly changing and is always fun trying to decide what dish to try.... The Brazilian Fish Stew however must ALWAYS feature... the uproar when the chef tried to take it off the menu caused its return... and for good reason. A good wine range and a selection of beers makes this a great place for picking up good food and some local colour. Live entertainment some nights add a bit of fun.

There are newer reviews for The Gem Bar and Dining

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I recently attended a small function within The Gem’s private dining room on Sunday 6th May. I highly recommend the 14 hour slow cooked pork burger with coleslaw. Delicious menu and great value for money.

1  Thank Wiggsey
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Go there on a Sunday and experience a fantastic band with an ageless sound. The food was gourmet intaste but not in price. We had a fantastic night and would go again when we have a chance.

Reviewed September 10, 2010

This is a fantastic place! I was in town with a friend of mine, and we went to go see some live music at the Gem. We had never been there before, but heard the food was uncommonly good.
The downstairs of the Gem is a cozy pub room, with a tiny stage area and small bar. There is a dining room behind the bar room, and upstairs are more dining rooms. It seems to have been an old boarding house at one time, from the look of the layout.
We were seated in one of the upstairs dining rooms - each room had a very "vintagey" feel - I felt more like I was in Memphis than Melbourne.
The food was EXCELLENT! I had a duck pasta that was the best I've ever had, and my friend had a vegetarian dish, I believe it was an eggplant stack. (I was so in love with my choice, I must admit I didn't pay too much attention to hers!). It was five-star food in my book, and the service was great - casual but caring. I was shocked at the low prices of our mains - for food like this, I would have paid a lot more.
I'll be visiting the Gem every time I go back to Melbourne- it truly is a "gem" of a place. This is a great place for a romantic date, or for dinner with friends, especially since in addition to the great food, you can go downstairs and enjoy a live band after dinner!