“Best Brunch I've had in a long time”
Review of Gigi Baba - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gigi Baba
Cuisines: Turkish
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Gigibaba with new ownership, is a cafe, restaurant, bar not to be missed. I went along with a friend for brunch today and was amazed by the interesting array of dishes to choose from. Breakfast or lunch...hmmm there where so many yummy flavours. I decided on the poached eggs with lentils, and my friend had the turkish eggs. Hearty serves with labna, spices and toasted turkish bread. We also ordered with a side of haloumi with a middle eastern twist. The coffee was devine and nothing was too much trouble. I would like to keep this new little find to myself, but with food and service as good as this ~ deserves to be shared. Love the cosy atmosphere, I will definitely be back at night to try the bar!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The new owner explained that the liquor licence was still coming due to a snafu from previous owner, so in the meantime they are doing breakfasts and lunches.

It was Queens birthday and everywhere was pretty quiet. Decided on late breakfast and this place looked interesting.

Excellent coffee to start. Nicely pulled.

Both our dishes were yummy. One was a lentil based hotpot, mine was tomato and peppers in eschabol? Sauce with eggs. With plenty of toasted pide. Lots of other interesting sounding choices.

Lovely flavours and generous serves.

Give it a go!

1  Thank Lyn&MarkfromOz
Reviewed February 26, 2013

i am a bit reluctant to write this review as we were at this restaurant over a year ago. we had heard so much about it, tried a number of times, but couldn't get a table each time and one day when we walked in for lunch, to our delight, bang, there was one available!

our delight turned into dismay when the woman who greeted us did not look happy, barely looked at us as she led us to the table. when she came back to take our orders, she still looked grim, rattled off the specials without joy, took the order and left. except for this person, i am sure everyone involved in hospitality knows that it is not just the food that is served, but the service itself which is so crucial.

the food came. yes, we agreed it was good. but the servings were minuscle while the prices were way over the top. hence we have not been back since.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We love this place, and have been eating here since it first opened its doors. Chef/owner Ismail and Marcel's mezze style turkish food with a touch of french just blows your mind. Sorry but you will be hard pressed to find a better eatery in Melbourne. I'm talking about the quality, the inspiration and standard of the food. This is serious eating not food for show. I would like to keep it for ourselves but this place deserves its place

1  Thank Lorenek
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I followed chef/owner Ismael from his original restaurant Eminem in Perth to Gigi Baba in Melbourne because of the amazing food, delicious wine and great service.
I have eaten here on multiple occasions and although each time I build it up more and more I have never been disappointed.
We recently moved to Melbourne and I was worried I would spend every weekend here! In fact, when heading in this direction I have not yet walked past this restaurant.

FOOD:
Absolutely the most flavourful food I have ever tasted. Dishes are designed to share so just order a bit of everything, or you can always ask for degustation of "feed me" option, where they bring you what's good.
The baba ganoush is the best I have ever tasted. So smokey and full of flavour. Hummus is also amazing. They will keep bringing bread until you say stop. We usually order the cauliflower and pomegranate salad and the broad bean salad. The lamb is what we go for. I think it's important to have it in this order so you don't spoil the flavour of the next one: lamb cutlets, lamb kofte, lamb sausages. Trust me - you will not be disappointed!
For desert the baklava is great (bite sized) but usually we are far too full for more food.
The turkish coffee is amazing and definitely worth a try. I usually ask for half the amount of sugar as its quite thick and sweet.

DRINKS:
Lots of choice. You can order wine by the glass, 300ml flask, half bottle or bottle. Great way of trying lots of different wines. Cocktails are also very good.

SERVICE:
We have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Though we haven't needed much help with menu selection since we have been so many times, one of the staff members read our future usin our coffee dregs ;) very entertaining and great to see they enjoy their job.

COST:
We usually spend about $120 between 2 people including food, drinks, coffee and desert if we have it. To me it is a bargain for such an amazing gem.

OVERALL:
I consider myself a "foodie" and have travelled quite a bit. There is only 1 restaurant in the world I consider to be better than this one, and that is Vue De Monde (also in Melbourne) which is very very expensive (about $700 for 2 people). I could eat here every night! SO DELICIOUS!!

1  Thank ALeeKAt-