“Package deal is good value - just one snag”

Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ossett
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Being self-employed, the price of business hotel accommodation is important, and I normally look at budget chains before Holiday Inns. However, for one night at HI Wakefield I was quoted £67.50 for room, breakfast and dinner, which works out cheaper than several of the budget chains once you have added meal costs. Nothing to complain about with the hotel, the rooms are a bit small but perfectly adequate, place is clean, staff are welcoming, food is very good. BUT ... my biggest beef with the IHG group remains, they still insist on charging - heavily - for internet access. McDonalds will give free unlimited broadband access to anyone that goes in for a coffee, and people paying £50+ for a hotel room are entitled to expect the same in my opinion. Surely IHG can understand that these charges just annoy people and put them off coming back? I can only assume that they are locked into a contract with an internet service provider which they can't afford to break - my recommendation would be that they bite the bullet, stick a couple of quid on the room charge and give free broadband access. I for one would then probably use them a lot more.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stephen H

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here for a few weeks last year and I'm glad to say the place hasn't changed. The staff, without a doubt, are the best bit about this hotel; they're simply wonderful. I also enjoy the food here - a little expensive, perhaps, but good quality and always enjoyable.

The rooms are a touch basic (Though they do have nice LG LCD's), but clean, relatively spacious and a generally pleasant place to spend your time. I certainly don't bother to look elsewhere when I have to work nearby.

Room Tip: If you're eating in the hotel, then the executive dinner, bed breakfast rate is very good value...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stay here on business regularly, great location, quiet (considering only yards from M1), rooms average size but very comfortable, nice buffet breakfast with a good variety, staff always helpful, would recommend for families too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tigerpants01
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just arrived at the hotel, nice, friendly staff but they charge nearly £4.00 for ONE hour wifi access. Even McDonalds offer that for free! When are these hotels going to realise that wifi is pretty much as basic as providing sheets and towels these days. OUTRAGEOUS!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank DWhitelegg
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear DWhitelegg,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincere apology for the dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay. I regret you found our Internet charge steep. I want to assure you that our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide not only comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations but also offer Internet services at a competitive value. Nevertheless I would like to inform you that with the re-branding of our loyalty Program, we are now offering Free internet for our Elite members and this will be free for all members by 2014.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights. The room was fine, air con works well (as it was very hot weather). Clean and comfortable. Plenty of hot water. The staff were very helpful & friendly, especially in the restaurant & bar. Breakfast was good - everything you could want. Had a bar snack which was also very good and reasonably priced. The only disappointment was the coffee at breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank scritchen
Reviewed June 27, 2013

A perfectly decent three-star hotel that does exactly what it's meant to do. I found the staff to be friendly, the restaurant and bar staff particularly so. The food was good quality and good value.

The only problem I'd highlight is the rip-off internet package - £19.95 for 24hrs and it wasn't until I checked out that I realised there was a special offer on which would have saved a fortune, so this should have been made clear to me at check-in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GarethK95
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear GarethK95,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It is also nice to know that you enjoyed the food. I am sorry you were not happy with the internet charges. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just off the M1.Easy to find. Rooms a bit old but OK. Car park next to cricket field. Breakfast Ok but nothing special. Signs everywhere saying "Starbucks" but they serve ordinary coffee at breakfast and no real decaff (just powdered rubbish).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Nikandlesley,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am truly sorry to hear that the breakfat served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ossett
Ramada Wakefield
#17 of 19 in Wakefield
York House Hotel
York House Hotel
#9 of 19 in Wakefield

Been to Holiday Inn Wakefield M1, Jct. 40? Share your experiences!