“A surprising find”

Cuisines: European, French, Gastropub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I went here on a Saturday night with my husband. We came into the pub which really doesn't give any clue as to the modern and stylish restaurant that is set behind it! The welcome in the pub was very warm and my glass of wine very cold. After a while we went through to the restaurant which has a a small bar to sit, have a drink and decide what you fancy from the menu. When the table was ready we were taken upstairs to a very stylish and well set out room. It has areas off the main seating area too, which is where we sat so it is not cramped and has a sense of intimacy. we were given olives and bread to start which were perfect. I had calamari to start and they were super fresh, lightly battered and totally scrummy! My husband had pate which he said was delicious. To follow I had snapper and my husband had lamb both of which were perfectly cooked and beautifully presented and accompanied by a vegetable selection. The portions were more than generous which sadly meant we didn't try any of the wonderful sounding deserts! The service was prompt and courteous and the bill was surprisingly reasonable at around £50 which also included a bottle of wine and coffees.
Ossett is not an area we usually visit but we will visit again as it was very good food, served in a very warm and welcoming atmosphere at a very reasonable price!

2  Thank suediver

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Having eaten here before when I was in the area, we felt certain of a good night. Initially the restaurant didn't sound like they wanted the booking. On arrival the girl behind the var was friendly, and the kitchen accommodating to tweaks to the menu. However the speed of starter and main was slow (main arrived 40 mins after we finished starter) 2 of the mains were good, but the third overcooked and not good. Overall the service was not at all friendly - in comparison to last visit.

1  Thank CarlDeborah
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had a small hen party of 6 ladies - we booked a meal and met in the bar downstairs for a bottles or two of wine before the meal - the restaurant is decorated in a modern / stylish way and was very comfortable.

The food was great (it had been recommended by a friend) we all had starters and a main - but the food was so good we decided to get deserts to share......as we didn't want to miss out on anything...but would have struggled to eat one each...

We had coffees all round and left happy (and very full) - went else where to round off the evening (bad move)...... we all wished we had just stayed in the bar downstairs as the atmosphere seemed friendly and welcoming.

Am going again soon and taking some good friends as a treat for all the help provided for my wedding - cant wait x

1  Thank Andrea G
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am sure that there are many people in the Wakefield area who have never heard of Millers and are missing out on one of the best restaurants in the area. The food is superb and the restaurant is so lovely inside. The decor is gorgeous and the seating has been arranged to give every table some privacy. I love the room, it has a lovely ambience and is so relaxing. You have the pub downstairs which is always busy serving a full range of ales and then you walk through to the restaurant into a lovely calm environment. You definitely have the best of both worlds by visiting and I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went to the millers to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I ordered a lovely wild mushroom and Rockfort dressing bruschetta and my husband had the mixed hor oeuvres. Very pleasant start. But the main was outstanding. Rump lamb steak that just melted and was so tasty. Good portions of vegetables that were cooked beautifully. My husband had the game pie which he really enjoyed but made a comment that the meat was slightly dry. Good wine accompanied the meal. We pushed the boat out to enjoy a dessert as the menu looked so good. I had the homemade cheesecake which was gorgeous but my husbands dessert trumped mine. It was like an Eton mess but better and I would certainly recommend this for anyone with a sweet tooth. We like to play a game of guess the bill. I normally win....but we both guessed at around £90 and was stunned when it came to just £70. This is really good value and I hope the millers don't get greedy and put up their prices. I think they've got it just right. The pub below was absolutely chokka block. This place is definitely doing something right. Would certainly recommend it.

1  Thank Helen W