Forest Walks Lodge
$75
$70
Agoda.com
Country Club Tasmania(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$113
$109
Sheffield Motor Inn(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
$93
$77
Agoda.com
Kentish Hills Retreat(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
$85
$79
$95
$92
Travelocity
$65
$63
  • Pool
Village Family Motor Inn(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$84
$81
Hotels.com
Riverside Hotel Motel(Riverside)(Great Value!)
$69
$67
Hotwire.com
Auldington(Launceston)(Great Value!)
$80
$72
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsguided walkwestern tiersvenisontasmanian experienceself sustainingdelicious meallocal ingredientsworld heritagesolar panelsthis wonderful placeincredible knowledgehome grownvegetable gardenmaster chefresident ducksbooked nightspeace and quiet
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We were heading to Forest Walks Lodge which I had booked due to the many good reviews on Trip advisor. We drove in late one afternoon. There had been a large storm the night before and the unsealed road, (which was way off the beaten track), was littered with branches and leaves. Our petrol was low, there was no mobile phone reception and my husband was threatening to divorce me. All this changed however, when we finally arrived at the lodge. Once there, we weren't disappointed. The home was in a clearing with views as far as the eye could see.The rooms were beautiful and tastefully furnished and our dinner was excellent. Even our mainly carnivorous son thoroughly enjoyed Sean's delicious goat's cheese and caramelised onion tart which is saying something. We had a great time there and would highly recommend it.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Yvonne U
Reviewed June 10, 2014

I organised a stay here as part of birthday trip to Tasmania for my adult son due to his passion for sustainable living and environmental conservation. We were not disappointed as Sean and Rosemary are dedicated to the 'eco' philosophy and in fact have a vast amount of experiences living and working 'green'. The lodge itself is very comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated and the perfect place to relax. It is located in a gorgeous valley setting with fabulous views all around. The food is absolutely amazing - and Sean went out of his way to cater for our dietary requirements - I am gluten intolerant and my son is vegetarian. A lot of the produce comes from their own organic garden. We also went on the guided walk with Sean and this is well and truly worth every cent. Sean has such an incredible depth of knowledge about the rainforest, environmental issues and history that he obviously loves sharing. Would love to visit again if I get back to Tassie sometime.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Dear reader
I am a fan of walking and have done both the walks listed above but nothing compares to the fantastic verging on magical rainforest walk Sean took us on. I have done many walks and this was the best by far. Truly peaceful and in awe of the wonders of the rainforest. I am a 5 star type of gal and was more than comfortable in the lodge. The room was very clean and comfortable with a beautiful outlook. I was glad to escape bland corporate beige hotels!

Sean would win Master chef if he entered- he has a passion for food and the environment equally shared by Rosemary who was a very accommodating and welcoming host. It is 5 out of 5 from me and I am planning my next trip!

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank StudioQ
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This remotely located property is truly setup as an eco friendly location. With it's rustic feel and appearance, you can't help but relax as soon as you enter. Don't let the tag "eco" fool you, Sean and Rosemary make you feel very welcome and put on brilliant meals that would easily rival some of the city restaurants. Fitness Centre? What better way than a range of walks through various forest areas and climbs, whilst being safely guided by Sean. Views from the rooms of close by ranges and forests set the scene for a delightful getaway no matter what season.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Allen0510
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The term "eco" gets bandied around a lot, but in my experience it's a weasel word that rarely lives up to the hype. I was so pleased to find that Forest Walks Lodge is the real deal. The hosts Sean and Rosemary are veterans of the conservation movement who have obviously poured their collective heart and soul into creating the what is a genuine eco lodge. The beautifully designed building is self sufficient for power, water and waste. It is warm and well appointed. Most of the food comes from the garden and local suppliers, and is superbly prepared. I'll remember the bacon we had for breakfast until the day I die! The wine list is excellent, and the company is great.

But what struck me the most was the sense of place. Forest Walks Lodge is located in a tiny, hidden valley with Quamby Bluff to the north and the Great Western Tiers to the south. To watch the sun rise over the mountains and light up the escarpment while mist rose from the valley floor was a powerful experience.

If you think eco means roughing it, think again. Forest Walks Lodge offers truly sustainable luxury in a stunning part of the world. I can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business