Sheldon's Retreat B&B
  • Restaurant
$111
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel(Biggin-by-Hartington)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bpeak districtlocal pubfruitbiscuitsattention to detailboth nightscouple of nightslovely placefriends and familysmall roomretreatvillagejaybakewellvarietycheese
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Im coming with my friends to stay 3 days the day of new years eve we go to the walk we enjoy our stay our rooms are very clean very nice smell every morning the hostess come and clean our room the breakfast is very nice everything is there various breakfast the owner are very nice and helpful we enjoyed our stay at that guest house maybe come back another time thank you

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I liked the service frankly it was great good luck and good team I plan to return very soon, I hope you'll make a new hotel with the same services and even better I liked the service was really attentive hostess our rooms was well treated really good smell we find everything we needed and if we really needed something just call the manager by phone and he resolved on site

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sofia B
Reviewed March 22, 2013

i had one week stay in it , i was very stadfied , there is nothing negative , food vey good and varied , staff vey attentive and responsive , specially ( maria )Rooms were very clean, spacious and functional.
a great stay !!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank OussamaHan
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Sheldon's has received some awful - and in my opinion - unnecessarily hostile reviews. Yet also some fine and outstanding endorsements. How can this be explained? I will try.

I think some context is probably required. The present owner explained to us that he bought this property - outhouses, land, cottage - with the intention of creating a Luxury Spa Retreat with 15 bedrooms, Yet Sheldon is a small village and the present owners are not locals - indeed, not English. The proposal met with considerable local opposition - as one might have anticipated. The dream of the 15 bedded luxury spa has had to be scaled down and all that the planners allowed was for a small 5 bed B&B. This is not what the owners want and things are therefore a little in limbo. Hence, this explains the complaints that parts of the buildings at the back are not converted/finished.

We visited in mid March 2013 and it was very cold outside. We were the only visitors staying. Our room was fine - nice products, constant hot water, extremely comfortable bed. A little cold on entry but it soon warmed up when we turned the valves on the radiators - not rocket science!! The place is neatly located for visiting in & around Bakewell - without the hussle and bussle of some of the area. Our vegetarian breakfasts were really fine - & there is tea and coffee and snacks available in the dining room all day without charge.

Also, the hosts could not be more engaging or helpful. Our only mistake was asking to have dinner in on Friday evening. This mistake was made because the place advertises as if it is a specialist vegetarian restaurant/cafe. We were delighted to have found a vegetarian B&B with a restaurant in the Peak District. But, and this may partly be to do with the fact that we were the only guests out of season, there was no real choice. We had a reasonable soup and a rice dish with spinach; I had a lager can and my partner a glass of red wine. It was well served with interesting conversation flowed with the owner - see above. Our basic complaint was that it was £20 each. For what it was, this was simply too high a charge. It might have been just about okay for gourment veggie food. But this was far from such; it could have been cooked easily and cheaply. This such obvious lack of value, makes one look harder at the charges for the B&B component - which was £95 a night.....nearly £50 per person per day.

This is also most definitely too high a price for what is on offer. We could have stayed at a local hotel with dinner included for the same price; in fact less!! It is as if their prices reflect their original ambition to be a Spa ....whilst the reality is that they are a B&B. They dont want to be a B&B but that is all the Peak Tourism will allow them to be. It was particularly gutting to pay £40 for our dinner as for the next night we ate at the local pub - 80 metres away!! - and we had fantastic hand pumped beer - 4 pints - two meals - for £24......and I had a whisky chaser too!!! Now there is value! To be fair, the owner told me about the pub when I booked. But, as I have stated above, we wanted good veggie food; we are veggies!!!

So to summarise, there are many good things to this place; not least the delightful folk that run it. If you are going walking in the area....this is an interesting place to stay - but for what it is, it is over-priced. Maybe, they could revise their prices and get cracking with a better range and quality of veggie food. Until they do the latter I would always eat at the pub. I might stay again......but only if prices were revised down a little until planning permisison is granted for the full spa conversion.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phil L
olandds, Manager at Sheldon's Retreat B&B, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your participation in the comment in tripadvisor i appreciate it Thank you once again for us to share your experience
In the beginning I want to say that for the price of the rooms I think it is normal because we live in a rich area and the people have a lot of community business ...etc so we can not change the prices because of that
and for the dinner i want to say that's is homemade cooked and its fresh ...
for the rest i want to say if you didn't enjoyed the stay you can come back I'll do it for you a nice price for the room and something special for you thank you again ..
Best regards marianne

Reviewed January 2, 2013

on arrival at the cafe, we were told that the old menu was finished, and they hadn't done a new one yet (strange way to run an eatery)- but the hostess said she could make us some food if we wanted. Unfortunately she seemed to be under the misapprehension that we knew the contents of her fridge, which made ordering a little difficult, but when we did eventually get some food it was fine (although we were offered banana "juice" which turned out to be milk, so may be problematic for food allergy sufferers!!) . The hostess also apologised for the food being vegetarian- I got the impression they only kept it that way to avoid getting a new sign, as the new menu (which appeared by the end of our stay) was rather uninspiring.
Breakfast was also rather strange, and not served early enough for our liking (we wanted to get some proper walking in!!Breakfast before 8.30 would be good in winter when it gets dark at 4)
my advice to the owners would be
1) read a vegetarian cookbook
2) tuna is not a vegetable
3) at least take the bread for breakfast out of the freezer the night before

That said, the room was fine, nice vegan shower products, and the location of Sheldon is perfect for walks etc not exactly luxurious, but fine

Room Tip: you can hear every chair scrape and mobile phone buzz from upstairs on the bottom floor, so a bad choice for light sleepers, on the other hand, top floor would be a bad choice for anyone struggling with stairs!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Amy T
karen p, Owner at Sheldon's Retreat B&B, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Vegetarians eat fish don't they