Bulgari Resort Bali
Suarga Padang Padang(Uluwatu)(Great Value!)
$252
Agoda.com
Radisson Blu Bali Uluwatu(Uluwatu)(Great Value!)
$153
Hotels.com
$751
$900
$810
Hideaway Villas Bali(Uluwatu)(Great Value!)
$134
$127
Orbitz.com
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort(Uluwatu)(Great Value!)
$323
$274
Priceline
Sal Secret Spot(Uluwatu)(Great Value!)
$81
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
All reviewsitalian restaurantil ristorantethe cliffindian oceanplunge poolbang and olufsenprivate beachfour seasonsbutler servicesocean viewliving areaunforgettable experiencebuggy serviceour honeymoonoutdoor showerwedding ceremonyworth every penny
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We just returned from a two-night stay and had a wonderful time. We stayed in villa number 21 which I would highly recommend, as it is situated next to the "Bulgari villa" which is their version of the presidential villa. This makes the villa more peaceful than the others. Now I should say up front that the service in Bali in general is excellent, and at this resort this is certainly the case.
Others have mentioned the Four Seasons Jimbaran in comparision to this resort, and I would like to add my thoughts here. Please realise that in Bali there are several different styles of resorts that are located in several different locations - you can have beach (Jimbaran, Nusa Dua, etc.), forest (Ubud), and you can choose to stay on a cliff (Uluwatu). So comparing Bulgari to Four Seasons Jimbaran really makes no sense. The setting is totally different. Seasoned travellers to Bali will know what I'm talking about.
We really enjoyed the view from villa number 21. I would not go there and get anything less than a "cliff view" villa, as if you do you will see roofs of other villas. The cliff view villas have just that - a cliff view, unobstructed. So you have been warned in advance.
The villas themselves are gorgeous. They are Balinese in design with the extravagance of the Bulgari brand. Now, they do not have wood carvings and statues scattered throughout (if this is how you define "Balinese", but being Asian I think I do have a competent appreciation of this culture). There is a small courtyard surrounding the bathroom, full of plants and tasteful outdoor lighting. The resort makes liberal use of the colour black, the bathub is a blond marble tub with black marble surround that is set in the center, as this is pulled off beautifully. It is actually a perfect fusion of Balinese and contemporary. The outdoor lighting is absolutely brilliant in design - a modern take on Balinese tradition.
The facilities are also lovely in design. The pool and outdoor areas are very well done.
The meals were good but quite expensive at times - but just go there expecting this and you won't be surprised. The Italian restaurant was the most expensive, but who goes to Bali to eat Italian? I think most of the people eating there were not actually staying at the resort, but rather came from elsewhere to get a glimpse of the place.
One of the best "secrets" of this resort is actually the beach grill, we had our lunch there
both afternoons and this was the highlight of the stay! The grill is located at the base of the cliff, so you have to take a funicular (slanted elevator) down to it. It is steps from the beach. The view is gorgeous - a panorama of the ocean and absolutely worth the time and price. We had their "daily special" for US $29, which included a meat (lamb or fresh fish), starch, and freshly-made salad. They have a very limited menu and do serve drinks as well. Remember that this is located HALFWAY DOWN A CLIFF, and they prepare the food freshly there on the grill. This means they have to hand-carry everything there. So please take things in perspective. About the beach - you cannot swim as it is full of large rocks, but you can walk about and just enjoy the views, sounds, and multi-coloured sea shells. The staff on the beach are very doting and will get your chair ready, will bring water and face sprays, etc. as well. You can also order from a drinks menu. Soft drinks and fruit drinks were $5 and alcoholic drinks were $12 - very reasonable considering the location!
The staff were very friendly and always available. Service is excellent and they are very doting. Once you rang them, services were delivered promptly. The buggy service was offered frequently but we declined it, prefering to walk about the grounds to see the flowers and resident monkeys.
The only complaint we could come up with was perhaps the villa is a tad dark at night, and could perhaps use an additional lamp or two? Otherwise, we can complain about nothing.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cyrus3325
Reviewed September 7, 2009

To be fair it was not one single person's fault that our stay at the Bulgari went horribly wrong. The employees are very well intentioned but they have not been trained as well as say Four Seasons staff. For $1,000 a night we expected perfection. We had already stayed at the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay and Sayan which were fabulous. The Bulgari is very isolated down near Uluwatu. You cannot walk to town or anywhere outside the hotel and I don't believe there are many restaurants nearby so you are pretty stuck. The views are amazing...cliff-top overlooking the ocean. Rooms were very fancy but not Balinese at all. Huge bathroom and the outdoor space, including plunge pool were great.
Now to the bad parts...when we arrived we went down the funicular to the ocean front cafe thinking we would have a casual lunch. We soon realized that the hotel does not do anything casual. It is literally a thatched hut with wooden tables but the only entrees were $45 steaks and seafood dishes. No sandwiches or salads to speak of. Horrible service and the food was inedible. We had dinner at the italian restaurant...food was ok, better service, very expensive. Back to our room where things went downhill...in the middle of the night my husband and I realized we had no running water. Called the front desk and they said they had no idea how long it would be to fix. Then we woke up at 6am and I turned on the light next to the bed and suddenly there were hundreds of bugs all over the bed. I thought at first they had been IN the bed and freaked out. I would post pictures of it here but it is too gross! Our butler came and said he had no idea what it was so we decided to pack up and leave the hotel (later found out it was from the villa roofing which they are supposed to treat for insects). We still had NO running water at 7am when we left and went back to the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay. To their credit we did get our money back for the one night we stayed there and a gift and apology note were sent to us at the Four Seasons from the Bulgari. We heard that over the next several days they still were having water problems which apparently is not uncommon for them. They looked to be adding some Bulgari Villas but I think they need to get the water and bug situation under control before adding more rooms and guests!

7  Thank ChestnutSeal
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I agree with the 2 previous posts, and just want to add that the Italian Restaurant was uninspired and pretentious, while the asian one was serving great food.
We had a villa on the second row, but still with a nice sea view, the transfer to the beach is spectacular, and we had a mile long walk without encountering anyone. (but it is not possible to swim in the ocean)
The decoration and furniture of the villa and the bathroom was high-end ,but a little bit too dark,and the bed was too soft. (with spring noises)
On one day we were served a mediocre breakfast with canned juice, they apologised and took it off the bill, on the second day breakfast was perfect.
Great service from Agung our personal butler.
They charge 60 US $ + tax for the airport drop off in their cheapest car, taxi was 8,50 US$

Reviewed August 17, 2009

Nothing is left to chance in this wonderful resort, every single detail is thought through. The villa is designed in a modern style yet playing with indonesian elements and its comfort is state of art. Facilities are perfect with beautiful view of the Jungle and the ocean from everywhere in the resort. Food is delicious and service is personalized, always oriented towards making guests stay more pleasurable. This hotel is a MUST in Bali, nothing compares to its perfection.

Reviewed August 14, 2009

Before starting this review, I'd like to say that I have been to Bali in July/August 8 times already, in good conditions, and that I have been to many high end hotels and resorts on the island.
I had heard many positive comments/reviews concerning the Bulgari and I was rather excited to stay in this hotel for 4 nights. However I left with a contrasted impression due to several points I will now develop.

Pros:
-The situation is pretty decent, as the view is definitely breathtaking (one of the nicest in Bali), and the hotel is located less than half an hour away from the International Airport.
-The hotel itself is design and, as it is only 34 months old, it is still in good condition. The decoration is modern and more tasteful than at the Four Seasons at Jimbaran Bay.
-There are two very nice boutiques located within the hotel (they are pretty expensive though).
-The breakfast, which is a hybrid between "all you can eat" buffet and a la carte, is delicious and offers a sumptuous view.
-The bathroom is beautiful, spacious and clean. It contains 2 showers (outdoor and indoor) and a large bathtub, plus two sinks.

Cons:
-The service is OK, but definitely not worth the price. Service at Four Seasons Sayan/JImbaran Bay, Alila, any of the Aman hotels is clearly better, personnel is more attentive. A few examples: the buggy (which is indispensable to any movement in the hotel) once took 20 minutes to arrive at my room while "5 to 7 minutes" is announced; the staff at the restaurants is not as professional as in Mozaic, Cire or the restaurant of the Amandari for instance; we had booking issues at the restaurant because our butler forgot to make the reservation for us...
-The food at the Italian restaurant, which is supposed to be the best of its kind on the island, is overpriced and not that great.
-The beach is nice but it is almost impossible to go swim: the ground is full of rocks and the waves are more of the "surfing caliber" - high and dangerous.
-The 2 rooms I've been into were infected with armies of tiny ants. I found some in my bag, inside my laptop... Some came under my keyboard (annoying), and BEHIND my screen (very annoying). In total, I probably killed around 40 before giving up and asking for some bug spray.
-The cliffside villas have a great view but the ones that are located higher offer a pretty mediocre view.
-The rooms are poorly lit. Huge windows compensate during the day, but the room is somber after sunset.

To conclude, overall Bulgari is a classy and sumptuous 5 star hotel. However I would not recommend it to a friend as some other comparable hotels that offer relatively similar prestations are slightly better... and cheaper. I am thinking about the brand new Alila which is extremely design (almost making Bulgari look traditional), offers a better service and serves tastier food for a couple hundred dollars less per night. I would also recommend the Four Seasons at Jimbaran Bay, which is very similar to Bulgari (although older) but offers a truly professional service at a lower price.