Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge
1,187 results
All reviewsresearch centerzip liningpaul beaverpoison dart frogspink dolphinsthe riverchino villagehammock roomfishpersonal guideamazon junglemachu picchuterra firmaprivate guidethe entire staffthe kitchen staffalfredo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2014

In late December, 2013 I, my wife, our son and his family of four and my daughter spent 8 days at Amazonia Expeditions' two lodges. Having been to the former Amazonia camp 24 years ago, and having had a most enjoyable time, we returned and were quite pleased by the overall ambience and comfort of both the main lodge and the research center.
We were there during Christmas and watched Dolly Beaver, who along with her husband, Paul Beaver are proprietors, have her staff prepare a Christmas-day fiesta for a nearby village. That included a chicken lunch for 200 or so children and their families and a present for each and every child. Amazonia's devotion to the area and the environment was abundantly evident.
In the forest, our guide was great, willing to share his vast knowledge and answer all questions. At the lodges, the staff was friendly and Dolly a warm hostess.
Meals were buffet style, with a reasonable amount of choices. Oh, yes, whenever any guest was departing a special cake was baked for them...and a birthday cake to celebrate my 75th.
The jungle is the jungle so the territory comes with what one might expect...but all 7 of us left with smiles and great memories.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank FMontana
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We are a family of four and arrived on Christmas Day for a 7 night stay costing around $750 per night.
The lodge and research centre are crudely constructed buildings that would not pass minimum safety standards anywhere in the world. They are literally an accident waiting to happen.
The rooms are backpacker standard with bare floorboards. Beds are crude timber roughly nailed together to make a base with a mattress and mosquito net thrown on top.
The bathrooms have rusty locks and mould on the doors. It is cringe- worthy.
Food, however, was the biggest issue. I am guessing the food budget was around $5 per day per person.
Christmas Dinner was spaghetti with tomato sauce and tinned vegetables. I couldn't believe that I had brought my family all this way for a Special Christmas and this is what we were given. There was not a pudding, Christmas cake or fruit mince pie in sight. Nothing special at all.
A lot of the meals were cat fish that the guests caught on fishing trips. A big plate of Spam was on the breakfast table every morning but no one touched it. There was no morning or afternoon tea so at lunch, it was wise to eat a lot of rice!!!
The cost was absurd for such a sub standard product.
The Amazon is hot but there are no fans here because they claim to be Eco- friendly.
I dutifully arrived with biodegradable body wash, shampoo and laundry wash. They provide pump soap next to the basins and cake soap in the showers!!!!!
I had always relied on tripadvisor.com but was badly let down this time. I hope I can save someone else from this poor choice.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank juliannekillara
AmazoniaUSAoffice, General Manager at Amazonia Expeditions' Tahuayo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Is this about the emails regarding teddy? Clients filled out a positive trip report at our Iquitos office, told their guide that they had a wonderful trip and did not mention any complaint to owner Dolly who was on site. But two weeks before the trip general manager Paul had an exchange of emails about helping to return a lost teddy bear to another Australian family that recently visited. The email exchange took a nasty turn. We had many other people visit during Christmas and will ask all others there at the same time to evaluate us.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We spent days with Amazonia Expeditions during late November, our time was split between the main lodge and the research lodge. Before I get a little more detailed, I just want to say that overall my time at the lodge was very enjoyable and satisfying. The thing that really made this stay so enjoyable for me was that we could go on day hikes and canoes, get a little wet and dirty and really feel like we were in the thick of the jungle, but then return to the comforts of the lodge in the afternoon and evening.
Our guide, Weninger, was excellent; and what time I spent with the other guides, I dont think this was an exception. All the guides seemed very knowledgable, but maybe more important is their capability to cater the excursions to exactly what we, the clients, wanted to see and do.
A great place to explore the rainforest: big trees, caimans, birds, dolphins, monkeys, giant beavers, electric eels, and more. Hiking was very fun, I think our guide realized that we enjoyed crossing streams and such and would go out of his way to make the hiking challenging! Canoing through tight streams with bushes and trees on both sides and above was priceless.
The food is perfectly good, if a little plain. The rooms are very clean, the beds comfortable, there are numerous locations at both lodges to relax, read, socialize, etc., the service staff is very friendly and accomodating.
On top of it all the guides and staff play soccer and volleyball every evening, if you play either sport with reasonable proficiency they will gladly involve you.

I couldnt put a price on this vacation, it was amazing.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex C
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We visited here for the first time in 2000 and fell in love with the place and the people. We have returned six more times so far, for a total of seven visits. For an up close and personal learning experience with the Amazonian jungle, this is the place to go. The rooms are rustic but very nice, with comfortable beds and screened-in rooms. The full menu of breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day is fantastic and varied--you won't go hungry here even if you don't eat the grubs from the palm nuts. There is so much to do, and the guides are so knowledgeable and helpful. The people there become like family members in just a short time. Visiting the local villagers, fishing for piranha and other native South American fish, hiking in the highlands and the lowlands spotting amazing trees and wildlife, ascending to the jungle canopy and ziplining, and learning about native customs, traditions and way of life make for a one-of-a-kind experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We spent ten days with Amazonia Expeditions at the Tahuayo Lodge and the Amazon Research Center upriver. Our guide planned one perfect expedition after another for us. Each was filled with surprises -- caimans, watsons, river otters, electric eels, and the list goes on.

Aside from these details, what I'll really remember from the trip is the energy that the staff shared with us. You could feel this incredible love for the Amazon: the people, the culture, and the wildlife. Very special.

Room Tip: If you want to only hear the jungle early in the morning, ask for a room in the back of the lodge.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends