2,988 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantsmaller resortcosta ricanightly entertainmentonion ringsall inclusive resortcab ridechicken wingshowler monkeyspool barlangosta beachin townlow tiderecommend this resortresort staffdance lessonszip lining
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Stayed at Barcelo the first week of June. The property is somewhat remote from town however , the grounds and surf are beautiful. Staff were extremely nice and had no issues to deal with. Did not spend much time at the resorts because we took tours a couple of days and the other days we spent much of out time in downtown Tamarindo ($5 cab ride each way) which is a very nice small beach town. Kids wanted to surf and beach stuff like surf boards boogie boards which were not available for rent at Barcelo.
We ate breakfast each morning at the resort which had all you really needed to eat . Never had lunch because we were not there during the day. The evening buffet was average, it would fill you up, but nothing to write home about. After a couple of days we realized that we probably should have stayed in town (that's where we spent most of our time) and not done the all inclusive so we could have enjoyed the local restaurants. If you want an average AI resort than this will be it. Other than that, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JIM9955
Reviewed June 5, 2010

After reading some of the reviews, my husband I decided to stay at the Barcelo Langosta Beach, Costa Rica. What a terrible mistake we made. Upon our arrival and waiting for a room, we decided to go the restaurant for lunch. What we saw in the restaurant was the most disgusting sight for an eating place. There was a total infestation of flies that were sitting on the food/salads/desserts. What a horrible sight to see everyone with their napkins just chasing away the flies from their tables. I had to ponder if this was a sign that the place was unsanitary. Eventually, I spoke to the Manager about the disgusting condition and was told that the hotel is situated near to a "mangrove" hence the reasons for the voluminous amount of flies. Of course, that was a bogus excuse. I kindly suggested to him that the place needed to be fumigated because his explanation was totally unacceptable to paying guests. Needless to say, the bar which is a flight up in the lobby also had the fly infestation which was rather annoying.

The food lacked variety. It seemed that they heated the same thing every day. Because of this, we ate our meals outside. We paid for 3 days internet service and got only 1 day usage. We were told by the front desk that they were having a problem and we will have access as soon as possible which we never did. Upon checking out when we requested a refund for the 2 days that we couldn't use the internet, we were told that the person resposible for the refund was not in. Frustrated, we left never to return again. The liquor was cheap and tasted like water. Even though the location of the hotel is suitable, I will never go there again. As a matter of fact, I'm still having nightmares from all those flies sitting on the food.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Whot a holiday best we have had for along time.Both 60 and we had a brill time.food drinks and fishing were great.The staff were very helpfull and went out of there way to help you.I Would tell any of our friends to visit this hotel for a holiday.COSTA RICA is top of our list for our next holiday.Virgin were first class planning this from start to finish a lot more english should give it a go.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank genowash
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I could write a novella about our one-week stay in Costa Rica - it was that jam-packed with activity and experiences for all of us (myself and my three girls , aged 21, 19 and 12). We did tours that included ziplining, water tubing, mud baths and hotsprings, horseback riding, boat tours up the coastlines and through the mangroves. We did shopping and sight-seeing, dancing and swimming. And lots of eating and drinking (coffee, fabulous coffee!). We even managed the odd bout of downtime by the pool.

I cannot say enough good about the Barcelo Langosta and its wonderful staff. The resort is nicely appointed (at 3.5 stars, its well worth it...) and the staff are amazing. I want to name a few in particular, who are so very much appreciated by me and my family: Alberto, Elvin, Cesar, Carlos, Luis Diego (all wait staff members and nothing short of awesome!), Fabian, Manuel Antonio (most excellent alcohol-alchemists!) Alexander (the grill master!), Greddy (Maitre'd/Waiter Extraordinaire) and Alan (cutest/friendliest guard on the resort). The cleaning staff who tended to our rooms everyday were outstanding and I very much appreciated the extra care they took everyday. The poolside bar and the pool were a great treat, especially late afternoon when a good cool-off was needed. The ocean -- what's to say? Magnificent. Breathtaking sunsets, warm sand, plenty of sun, sea-shell hunts, volleyball, surfing, kayaking... it's all fantastic.

When off the resort doing our tours/trekking, we ran into more friendly folk who are definitely getting a shout-out as well: Captain Taca and his crew on the Marlin del Rey. If you're going to do anything while in the Tamarindo area, make sure you take the Sunset Sail on the Marlin del Rey. It is fabulous. We also had a wonderful ride through the mangroves on the Estuary with Jose Manuel - he was an excellent guide who shared a great deal about the area and he served us fresh pineapple (a most pleasant surprise!)... on our way back to the resort, he stopped at one of the vendors in the village and purchased some of her rice pudding (magnificent). Jose Manuel shared that little bit extra with us and it made our day. We did the Mega Combo Tour (through Destination Adventures, yo Chris, thank you!) up to the Rincon de le Vieja and it was outstanding. Jam-packed fun all around. Our final 'big' tour was a horseback ride through the back country with the unforgettable and very sweet Tejo Hernandez. With him ably leading us novice riders along, we got to see a good deal of the 'real' Costa Rica... far away from resorts and tourist attractions - right out into the countryside and then into Brasilito - it was wonderful. Tejo even serenaded us along the way! Should you do any of the tours be sure to ask for the Marlin del Rey, Jose Manuel for the Estuary and Tejo Hernandez for the horseback riding in particular (those are local tours).

Anyway - long-short of it: Go to Costa Rica, to Tamarindo, to the Barcelo Langosta. Go and enjoy all the sights, sounds, sun and sand of the area. Go and be surrounded by beautiful country and equally beautiful people. I know one thing for sure... I will be going back. And staying longer. Loved it all! Pura Vida!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family