“very slow service”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The staff are really friendly and helpful and the food is hit and miss...sometimes it is great other times it isnt so great....the problem here is the slow slow service and the long wait at weekends...such a shame cos the staff that are working are chasing their butts off to accomodate everyone.. Management need to employ more waitresses.waiters to ease the burden!

There are newer reviews for Royal Oak Beefeater

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have eaten in this restaurant four or five times over the past year or two, sometimes because I was just walking past (it is on the Wealdway) and I have never been disappointed. I am writing this review now because I happened to see some of the other reviews here for the place, that I thought really quite unfair.

Yes, this is a Beefeater, a chain restaurant owned I believe by Whitbreads. But I can only say that my own experiences here have been very positive. The staff have always been really friendly, cheerful and helpful. The food has been well cooked, attractive and excellent value. The place is not at all expensive; mon-sat up to c6pm you can have a steak meal for £8. They have a respectable choice of good wines. There is a bar part and a restaurant part and both are good. It can get busy but if you haven't booked they will do their best to fit you in anyway.

Dunno, if this is what chain restaurants are like I say bring them on, we need more..

2  Thank penninewalker
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We went here today without a booking and it was really busy. The staff were amazing from start to finish despite being completely manic. There was a little wait for the food but considering how busy it was, the wait was completely reasonable. When the food arrived they were all cooked to perfection. What impressed us all most was how attentive the waitress was throughout and she was running around constantly, im sure she must have run a few miles whilst we were there! I would recommend this to anyone wanting a good meal in a nice atmosphere with stunning service. Well done beefeater!

2  Thank addickinkent
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We ate here yesterday, the restaurant was busy and we had not booked but that did not deter the Front of House making some subtle table changes to accommodate our group of 4. The service was efficient and polite. We feel that the food choice on the Daytime menu allows 3 course to be eaten without feeling overly full.

1  Thank JLo-Denmead
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I visited this grill while staying at the Premier Inn behind the Royal Oak. Bar lacks atmosphere, seems to be a problem if you want to stand at the bar and most people seem to be stting around as they are on business, reading books, twiddling with phones etc. No problems with the lager. First problem was my company had ordered a meal deal with the Premier Inn stay. Although you couldnt argue about the value of this, the limited menu left a alot to be desired and was restrictive. Settled for the soup and steak, soup was okay but not fresh and although oit was tomato it was thickened with cream instead of a small swirl. Steak was cooked very well but the mushrooms were overcooked and the chips werent anything fantastic and these were the "special chips!" , supposed to be bottomless but was never asked. The service was poor and very little attention to the table, never asked if the "bottomless" chips would like to be replenished nor if I wanted a drink, had to leave the table to go to the bar! A large group held court in what seemed to be the lounge and seemed to be rowdy. I wouldnt have liked to have a family meal around this.
Breakfast was below average, selection was good, however the toaster took an age to deliver, and the cooked breakfast was greasy. Scrambled eggs were ok but the bacon was fatty and the hash browns were greasy.