“Gone down hill”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wrotham Heath
Swindon
“Gone down hill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

We have been staying at this Holiday in for several years now. When we first stayed we couldn't believe how good it was for a holiday inn. The rooms were smart and the service excellent. We stayed in 2009 and were shocked at the state of the place, particularly the carpets. We were told that it was due to flood damage. When we booked to go this year we assumed it would have been refurbished in 2 years (or at least carpets replaced). We were disappointed to see the carpets in the lounge area were still horrible and stained. The rooms were quite shabby and the bathroom was dirty. The service was terrible. The harassed barman kept getting our order wrong. He was grumpy and had clearly had enough of running the busy bar on his own.

The internet access was overpriced. On the plus side it was nice to get a smoking room.

I really hope this hotel improves as we used to love staying here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mobaypop
HolidayInn_Maidstone, Manager at Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Maidstone-Sevenoaks. Please accept my apologies for the shortfall in service that you received. I will be very happy to meet up with you on your next visit and discuss the many improvements made. I am pleased that you enjoyed the smoking room.

Kevin Pugh
Holiday Inn Maidstone-Sevenoaks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

Typical holiday inn in terms of offering and found staff ver friendly and helpful. I was actually working nights and they accommodated my nocturnal habits exceedingly well. On the one occasion I did order room service I asked if there was any chance of something that was not on the menu and chef was more than happy to prepare. One minor niggle was the bed was a little too bouncy for my liking but that's just about personal preference. Overall I liked this place and would use again.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank MalcH
HolidayInn_Maidstone, Manager at Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for the good feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Kevin Pugh
Holiday Inn Maidstone-Sevenoaks
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

I booked my wedding in the hotel and took advantage of their very reasonable packages. After looking at other hotels in the area and finding packages for around the £5k to £7k mark I was sold on the Holiday Inn after one visit due to how nice the hotel is. I have to admit that I was dubious as were a few family and friends. There is a good saying of "you get what you pay for" which did put some doubt in my mind that the service or food would lack due to the low price. The rooms for the reception and ceremony are bland and more geared towards meetings but once decorated were really like anywhere else.

I stayed the night before with a large group of family and friends, none of which had any problems booking in or with their stay. Food for breakfast was good and a standard buffet style. Both mornings staff were helpful and made sure we could all be seated together.

The wedding day itself was absolutely faultless. I had a person on hand all day who made sure everything was fine, he kept checking with me which was really nice. The wedding breakfast was lovely and food was a very good standard, staff even gave alternative desserts to guests who didn't like what they were given, the drinks reception was lovely, the evening buffet was really good and the DJ was brilliant and again kept checking that everything was to my satisfaction.

We were also given a suite for our wedding night which was massive and a really nice way to end our day.

I can't recommend this enough staff really were lovely and helpful in every respect. And bearing in mind I could've had the same package elsewhere for double/treble the price it's really amazing. The only one downside was the price of the drinks. Being the bride I didn't buy any all night but it has been commented on that they were very steep. In all fairness to the hotel they are a business and not a charity and have to make their money!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank bexterking
Thank you for taking the time to give us such valuable comments. I am so pleased that everything went well. Congratulations and all the best.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I love this hotel. I have stayed on business and more recently with my family. The rooms are well equipped and spacious. Great showers, friendly staff in every department and they all go the extra mile...apart from the chefs. This is why Holiday Inn frustrates me. We booked a table for two and left the kids to fend for themselves with room service so my wife and I could have a meal together. The first time in months we had the chance to just have the two of us. As we had driven that day through the Champagne region of France, we decided to order a bottle of champagne. Fantastic. Well presented, well served. I had Chicken skewers with a hot Japanese sauce. Well no I did not as it turns out. I had 4 pieces of bland chicken on a stick with no sauce. The chef forgot it. we returned it and was offered an alternative. We chose something different which when served was nothing like the description on the menu. We asked to speak to the manager who in the end was very apologetic, discounted our meal but said he was struggling to get the chef to serve what was described on the menu. General Manager, get this sorted out. I will stay here again but I always seem to be disappointed with the Holiday Inn restaurants I visit. Its not just Sevenoaks, its Edinburgh, Wakefield, Brighton, they all lack this chance to serve great food. One day I will learn my lesson and eat at a local restaurant. Anyway, highly recommend this hotel as a hotel and you will love the staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kdr1968
Thank you for your comments. Glad you had a good stay at the hotel. On reading your comments, I was disappointed to learn that the food served to you was below standard. I apologise for this. I was pleased to see that once we were made of aware of the situation we responded quickly. I hope in some way that compensated for the poor experience. We take all complaints seriously and would like to assure you that measures have already been taken to ensure similar situations do not occur for other guests staying at the hotel in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

This hotel is perfect for any meetings in Kent or the south east. It can be a little busy as its the first post of call from the channel tunnel so make sure you book. Several times I have stayed its been full of Germans and Dutch on holiday which makes dinner a busy affair.

The food is good with a nice selection, this is one of the only hotels where I normally eat in my room due to a long day of driving and flights and the service is always very friendly.

The hotel is a gym and a pool which are clean and great for use after a long day.

The rooms can be a bit of a walk from reception, I got lost the last time I stayed trying to find my room on the 3rd floor, there are no lifts that I am aware of...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank MrJohnAS
Thank you for giving us such good feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

Checking out, the receptionist asked if we had enjoyed our stay. When i replied "Not very much," she smiled but wasn't interested enough to enquire what the problem had been. There were many. The room was spacious and well-appointed, the head waiter in the restaurant was charming and eager to please - and that is all that can be said on the positive side.

In the bar for a pre-dinner drink the service was surly and unwelcoming. "Got to change the barrel" said the barman and left us waiting without apology. In the dining room the booking we had been told was necessary had not been made by reception - and in any case it would not have been necessary. Having chosen from an unappealing and unimaginative menu, we waited forty minutes for our food to arrive. No roll and butter. Rip-off wine list starting at approx £17.00 a bottle. Service at breakfast was unenthusiastic and cheerless.

We don't wish to be told to "Have a nice day" every five minutes but we do expect hotel staff to look as though they are pleased that our presence is keeping them employed. Our impression was of a hotel whose manager had failed to instil in his/her staff any sense of pride or professionalism. We will never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
HolidayInn_Maidstone, Manager at Holiday Inn Maidstone - Sevenoaks, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please be assured that we take all comments on board in order to improve our services. I would like to demonstrate to you that we are capable of delivering the standards we are famous for and hope that you do choose us for your next visit to the area so we can restore your faith in our hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Wrotham Heath hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

Booked a double executive room for two nights as told was only way to guarantee a fridge in room. Was a bit annoyed as stayed in Hi standard before, and actually the night before this at another hotel (see reviw) (booked later) and got the fridge - only needed it to keep babies milk cold.

Hotel is impressive as you enter, seems grand and well presented, lots of tress around hotel and looks like a bit forest lodge which is nice.

Check in was ok. Room was close to reception which was good. But not as good as expected for exec. Have previously stayed in a mixture. This was small for exec and no better equipped (other than questionably the fridge). Room was clean and with large LCD TV plus king sized bed and small sofa - No view to speak of. Had a poor nights sleep as duvet too small for bed - only realised in middle of night and had a draught coming through the window, tried to put heating on but system far too noisy not to wake baby again.

In morning asked recepetion to sort duvet, very pleasant and friendly apoligised, assured us would be done straight away we said will be out till about 5pm, so no rush.

Got back about 6pm duvet still not sorted so had to complain to reception - They apologised (again)

Order main meal plus kids meal as did previous eve on special offer where kids eat free. However told tonight kids dont eat free in bar like last night as that offer a restuarant only offer. had eaten last night in the bar at the same time ordering off the restaurant menu. But tonight as they had chosen to bother to open the restaurant this offer not available in the bar. So ok fine we move to the restaurant. But oh no, that not open for another half hour!!!! Baby getting hungry and tired, I just had to pay it. Look meal only a fiver but bar and restaurant VERY pricey anyway another fiver feels like an insult. For arguing over this made to feel like a no body. Clearly you have to be on a business account whre costs dont matter to use this hotel. Have used many hotels for leisure and business before and i dont appreciate being looked down on depending whether I am in suit or in jeans with my family, thank you very much.

On checkout I am presented with a bill of £120 - 3 breakfasts, 2 eve meals, 2 kids meals and few drinks. This cannot be right. Found one mistake holiday inn voucher I had exchanged loyalty points not taken off - still seemed expensive but they lay it out in a very confusing manner. Somethings broken down to the individual drink others lumping entire checsks together. Upon further inspection after left worked out there was an entire check that was not mine. Called hotel and reception apologised they good at that. With no hassle sorted out a refund. I ask, how many people on business bother to check invioces?? What esle have they snuck on other people bills that they have not realised. Not usual HI practise. Very reluctant to use this hotel again - Will be sending letter to HI HQ with complaint.

Room Tip: Check food and drink prices - Keep all your recepits and check them over a cofee at checkout