“Crowded House 2 Day Gallipoli Visit”

Crowded House Private Day Tours
2 Days 1 night Gallipoli Troy Landing Beaches Tour From Istanbul
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Eceabat
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Crowded House Tours is based in the town of Eceabat, right on the edge of the Gallipoli battlefields. Both of Crowded House's owner and guides have extensive experience and a passion for the battlefields and the history of the region. With our local knowledge we can take you to all parts of the peninsula and help you share that history.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I took a varied 2 Day Gallipoli Tour with CH. I elected to do the Gallipoli Tour with overnight accomodation option, and use a free day the next day to spend more time at the site.

I was collected from my accomodation in Istanbul at the correct time of early AM and we arrived at Eceabat around lunchtime where we were given a great Turkish meal and taken on a 3 hour tour around the main parts of the Gallipoli site. My only point with this was that it didnt allow a lot of time at each spot, with the quest to get to the next within 10-15 minutes. So, if you are after some time to spend at each significant site or cemetery, greater than 5-10 minutes, you wont get it on this quick visit.

Instead, I arranged to come back to the site the following day and walk around myself. I completed a walk that is available with sound recordings, notes, historical excerpts and a map that is available on the Australian Department of Veterans Affairs website. I highly recommend this if you have a day to do it.

The local bus (dolmus) was not running until 12:30pm due to down season, so when I wanted to get to the site mid morning Ramazan offered to drop me there in his car which was greatly appreciated and over and above.

I joined the bus of the day tour at the top of Chunuk Bair at 4pm when they had completed their run for a ride back to the hotel, and then on to Istanbul where we were all dropped at our accomodation.

Overall, a great experience and the assistance of the staff at the hotel to facilitate my tour was greatly appreciated.

Oliver

1  Thank Oliver F

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. Snorkelling in ANZAC Cove, checking out a sunken boat, was an amazing experience and something I will never forget.

We also took a tour of Gallipoli which we found extremely humbling. Our tour guide was extremely informative and gave an extremely detailed and unbiased account of the events that occurred in World War One.

We booked this through Crowded House Tours and they were fantastic. Their hospitality was great and we would highly recommend them to anyone looking to experience Gallipoli and its history.

3  Thank Adam R
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The afternoon tour of Gallipoli made up up of mostly Australians and a few Kiwis was a highlight of my trip to Turkey. It's no wonder that Gallipoli draws so many visitors from down under to this peaceful place with so much shared history for both countries. The tour led by Bill was very informative and for TL60 was very good value with a hearty lunch as part of the deal. It was quite busy on the Saturday of our tour during the school holidays but I heard from others that visited on the Monday that the peninsula was not as busy that would have made for better photo opportunities. Having visited it now puts everything into perspective when watching the live ANZAC dawn parades from Gallipoli and the massive loss of human life.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We did a 2 day private tour of Troy and Gallipoli, departing from and returning to Istanbul. The drivers were safe and the cars new, and everything was very efficient and ran on time. The guides were both extremely knowledgeable and friendly and brought the places alive. We were a party of 6, including children aged 10 and 7, and we found the private tour was the best way to visit the sites. The big advantage is that after visiting Gallipoli you head back to Istanbul so arrive around 6pm rather than the 11pm or midnight of the group tours that don't depart until late in the afternoon. For children it is definitely worth the extra money.

1  Thank hodgepodgeblackie
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We joined Bulent (Bill) for an afternoon tour of Gallipoli. Once we got used to his accent Turkish/Australian (?!), we found Bill to be extremely knowledgable about the ANZAC's Gallipoli campaign. As New Zealanders, it was important for us to visit key sites and we felt this was largely achieved.

For TL60 each we began with a meal at Crowded House at 12pm then at 1pm we headed out in a bus for the tour. Bill provided background about the campaign, also sharing how Ottomans became involved in WW1 which was good for us to hear. He provided context around what was happening through each part of the campaign, what the strategies of the allies was, what the Ottomans were thinking and doing, talking about factors such as supplies, geography, weather etc at the time and how these things impacted on both sides.

We stopped at Kapatebe (Brighton Beach), ANZAC Cove, North Beach, Lone Pine, Johnston's Jolly, 57th Regiment (Turkish Memorial), The Nec and Chanuk Bere. Overall it was a pretty short and sharp and this is likely because part of the tour group had come from Istanbul (4 hours away) and were being dropped back there afterwards (we finished the tour at 6pm). Bill was warm and friendly and did a great job and he clearly has a good depth of understanding of our shared histories.

If you only have a small amount of time this is likely a perfect option. Staying in Eceabat the night before it (like us) would be less tiring than leaving from Istanbul at 6am in the morning (unless you are staying on in Eceabat or Canakkale. If you want to take your time really exploring Gallipoli perhaps there are other options or you go back to some parts yourself that may have been missed altogether or you wanted more time to explore.

On arrival back at Hotel Crowded House we had 30 minutes before buses departed to Istanbul. The hotel only has one toilet available for their tour group something which needs to be addressed as people were queuing prior to getting on the bus and when the got back and we we were being hurried up to get in the minivans for the drive back to Istanbul.

2  Thank dawnndean