“Practically perfect”

Ranked #3 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Agonda
London, United Kingdom
“Practically perfect”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Just back from 4 days at Agonda Cottages, and I can't praise this place enough.

Right on the beach, there are about 12 huts on either side of a sand covered pathway, with an outdoor dining/bar/sitting around area, with a reception desk and kitchen. The dining area has a fantastic view of the beach, and is only a few steps from it.

The cottages consist of one bedroom with a roofless bathroom area attached. They are clean, good sizes, very comfortable and very nicely decorated. The outside bathroom is slightly strange but fun, with a western toilet, sink, and solar shower.

The restaurant area has tables in the shade as well as sun loungers in the sun. There are also more of these on the beach.

The food and drink is simply amazing. Fresh fish, curries, western breakfasts, cocktails, and western snacks and burgers are available, and pretty much everything we had was excellent, with very large portions. I'd recommend the mozzarella sticks, the snapper, and watermelon fresh cocktails.

The service is excellent, and every staff member was helpful and friendly. I got a real impression that the people who work here, even the ladies who clean the rooms, were genuinely friendly and enjoyed working there, which gave a great impression (even if they were all acting!).

I haven't felt so relaxed in years. If I could have got a pint a Guinness I may never have come home! I will certainly be going again.

Re: Price. At current exchange rates we paid about £35 per night for two of us sharing, plus an extra £120 max for food and drink (and that was for a lot of cocktails and Kingfisher!)

Room Tip: I'd make sure not to get the cottage right on the front, as it's right by the bar area, alth...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VickyTheGooner
AgondaVillas, Manager at Agonda Cottages, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and writing such a great review.

We are so pleased that you chose to stay with us and it was a pleasure to meet you.

Of course I would like to believe that the staff love their work which is why the smile so much.

We built such beautiful cottages this season and think that the combination of the staff being a great group of people and the effect of happy guests has a positive influence on our staff and everybody ends up smiling.

Keep well and I hope that we get to see you again.

Warm regards from the whole team to who I have shown your message.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
sheffield
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Four of us stayed in two cottages for 2 nights on 11th and12th February. This was in the middle of a 3 week stay in north Goa in Arpora, It was a fabulous break and such a difference to the madness and hustle and bustle of Baga and Calangute. IMO the cottages are expensive compared to other beach style huts (we paid £45 per night per cottage) but they are good quality, spotless and huge! Fabulous bed that could easily have slept 4 people and stunning large outside bathroom which was beautiful. Set in two rows facing each other, just metres from the beach which is absolutely superb and free loungers and beach towels are provided. The restaurant/bar area overlooks the beach with plenty of seats and tables for everyone. Food is second to none, both indian and european, and the coffee was lovely! The bar staff were very helpful and attentive and the 'cleaning ladies' so happy, polite and friendly - never stopped smiling and were a joy to wake up to. We went to a couple of other bars along the beach one evening and they too were good but really you don't need to move at all if you don't want to. An absolutely beautiful resort in a stunning, peaceful location. Truly relaxing. Our only small issue was that check in time was 12 noon but we were still waiting at 1.30pm and as mentioned before, although the cottages are lovely they are somewhat expensive, hence the 4 instead of 5 rating.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
AgondaVillas, Manager at Agonda Cottages, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thank you for your great review and I will pass your comments on to all the staff.

We are fairly strict about check-out times as a we appreciate that new guests often want to check-in as early as possible.

Unfortunately sometimes although we have to let guests know when it is check-out time they still try and get every extra minute they can. This is a compliment in itself but we need around an hour to get the cottage completely ready for the next guest.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We spent 4 days at Agonda Cottages this feb (14). Before we arrived, communication with the owner/manager (John) was excellent and really helpful who also arranged a cab for us from Dabolim airport to start everything off very care-free.

Agonda is a little bit posher and a little bit more luxurious than the likes of Patnem, a little bit quieter and possibly more grown up than the likes of Palolem and this was perfect for us. As a result you pay a little more across Agonda as a whole than the other mentioned above but this is well worth it - and still excellent value.

There are a number of places we looked at up and down Agonda beach and we are very glad we chose Agonda Cottages. The rooms are very comfortable with quality mattresses and luxurious bathrooms. Everything is exceptionally clean and there is a good attention to detail which lets you still feel you are having an adventure in a beach hut but also are having that little bit of luxury.

The bar and restaurant is excellent. In fact, whenever we ate elsewhere i regretted not being back at the cottages. Everything is very trusting and relaxed. when we checked out we were amazed that for 4 days of eating and drinking as much as we wanted, as well as feeding our friends on occasion, the bill was about 80 quid!
The staff are friendly and very helpful and are incredibly attentive.

You're 10m from the warm sea, and the cottages offer free fresh towels and boogie boards for guests to use.

Honestly can't recommend this place highly enough.

Thanks guys, and if we are back in Goa we will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review.

We loved having you stay and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay.

I will pass on your comments to our staff who make Agonda Cottages such a friendly and relaxing place to hang out.

Agonda used to have very basic accommodation and over the last few years most of the resort owners have taken the opportunity to build to a higher standard and keep the spacious feel.

Agonda has gone boutique, a simply beautiful beach and comfort
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We spent 2 nights here after 5 nights at the Oceanic Hotel (great place!) over near Patnem Beach and it was a nice change to be right on the beach and wake up to sand and surf.
The cottages are generous in size, substantial and certainly well appointed, (not Beach "huts" or "bamboo shacks" ) ... I've stayed in those types years past... great party memories... but I'm getting a little more paticular as I age ;-)
I love outdoor tropical bathrooms with palm trees growing up thru them and showering under the palms and stars,...as long as its not mosquito season,... which it wasn't ;-) This cottage had a nice version of this...
Having said that our cottage...#9... 3rd one up from the beach had some maintenance issues, and my overall rating reflects this....
the door to the very nice outdoor bathroom was seriously twisted on its hinges (somebody probably was partying a bit too much?... it would not close or lock at all so we had to prop a table against it to keep it somewhat closed... got to be a pain....especially during nightime pees!
the rolled sheet flooring was buckling/coming up near this door and many other places inside... catching the door and aggravating the situation...annoying....
the main front sliding doors would not slide shut well enough from the inside to be able to lock latch them, I am 6ft+ so I could lift up the doors with a fair bit of oompf and grunt,snarl them into place... my wife? or most females and slighter persons... no way!
Now to be fair to Agonda Cottages, I didn't tell them about these problems (we were only there for 2 nights so we just didn't bother) and judging by the great service at the Rest. we got they probably would have attempted to fix it but these fundamental problems should have been addressed before we checked in... so give your cottage a good scrutiny before you get settled in!... don't be complacent like we were!
The bed was the hardest I had encountered over 3 weeks of travelling, just couldn't get comfortable... "Over" firm India beds seems to be a common reported theme.....Ok ...Rant over....

The food and service from the restaurant was Excellent!!... those guys are really on their game..
As another reviewer has noted... order the chips(french fries)... for a break from the tikka and curry....seriously good and cheap!!
The always smiling/happy Ladies cleaning the cottages were a delight... picked your day up just greeting them :-)
Agonda was the nicest beach of the three (Agonda, Palolem,Patnem) that we spent time at...for us it was the least spoiled/crowded and most scenic, very beautiful! and we have seen some stunning beaches around the world.... Palolem would have been tops probably 5 years ago but it appears to be quickly heading on the path of overdevelopment ruin that the North and Central Goa beaches have sadly degenerated into. Patnem was beautiful to a lesser degree and still lightly developed. All three are definately the last Goa beaches still to be enjoyed with little or no garbage, jetskis, tourism clutter,hawkers etc. Hurry....

Bob

Room Tip: Check your Cottage over well and don't be like us and put up with annoying deficiences.....
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cat471
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

I apologise that there were issues with the doors and I have had our maintenance man undertake some repairs.

We try to have every cottage perfect for each guest that arrives, but sometimes we overlook something. We do care and if a guest mentions something we will can and look and resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We couldn't have been happier with our stay at Agonda Cottages!

It's our last night of a 3 week stay at the Agonda Cottages, down the south end of beautiful Agonda Beach. The staff here have been seriously amazing, and will do everything they can to ensure you have a pleasant stay. Nothing is a problem here!

The cottages, while not ocean facing, are metres from the beach, and you will be lulled to sleep by the sound of waves crashing as you rest in your lovely spacious hut, with a huge and comfortable bed, and an attached open air bathroom (ours had a palm tree in it!).

The restaurant serves very good food and drinks - from delicious fresh seafood, curries and salads, to yummy pancakes and masala chai for breakfast and a good selection of snack foods. Great juices and smoothies too! Of course if you don't want to dine here there are many other excellent restaurants along the beach as well.

Agonda is a very quiet beach, there are almost no hawkers, there are a few actually sweet and well behaved stray dogs and the odd cow too! You have the option of boat rides for fishing or to check out other nearby beaches, and there's plenty of other stuff to do nearby if that's what you're after. Of course if all you want to do is lay on the beach with a cocktail in one hand and a book in the other, I can think of no better place.

I'll be sad to leave after three weeks here, thank you to all the staff for making our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your very kind words.

The southern end of the beach where Agonda Cottages is located is truely chilled out and everybody who reserves hopeing to have a queit beautifull location to hide out and recouperate is more than pleases.

Guests spend all day reading books and laying on sun-loungers with the odd nap in between to get the energy to sit in a chair in the restaurant and order food whilst watching out over the ocean.

What a hard life!

Mumbai, India
Reviewed February 8, 2014

For Agonda Cottages, location is everything. Neatly lined up cottages are sheltered by tropical trees and literally open up to an endless expanse of blue. These buffed wood-slated cottages are a perfect substitute for a beach shack with the perks of an open air bathroom, mosquito net and a personal safe. The restaurant offers delectable multi-cuisine fare, but the options are limited.

Room For Improvement: We wish the rooms were better lit and the water pressure more than a trickle.

Room Tip: Book early to snag the cottages up front.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Taneia
Thank you for staying with us.

Thank you for your kind comments and and a few points that you mentioned where we could improve. The level of light in the cottage is very subjective as some guests want low lighting and others may want to read etc, I will put a bright light in the cottages so that you can have the best of both worlds.

The water pressure is generally good but at peak times it can get low when there is high demand, when we re-plumb for next season we will consider this.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Keep well and I hope that we get to see you next season.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 23, 2014

When I was planning to visit Goa during the Christmas holidays, I wanted to go a place that would offer me some solitude and rest, away from the usual crowds. My search on the different goa beaches on the internet told me that Agonda was the best beach for my purpose. My search for a good hotel/ resort led me to Agonda Cottages, based on the beautiful pictures posted on their site and the good reviews given by other travellers.

Nevertheless, when I actually landed in Goa, I was not sure what to expect, as often pictures tell a story completely different from reality. Thankfully, what we saw and experienced completely justified our decision.

Agonda Cottages is situated on the Agonda beach, and is about 25 metres away from the sea. The cottages are very big, with a bed that is big enough to accommodate 2 adults and 2 children. The bathroom area is also huge. It is an open rooftop bathroom, with plants and pebbles on the floor, that give it a very chic, yet rustic flavour. The room itself has a table and an open wardrobe.

The cottages are lined up in 2 rows, which open up to the dining area, facing the sea. Its the ideal place to put your feet up, sip on a juice or nibble on some munchies while lazing away under the shade.

The place is managed by Shaan and his bunch of young and energetic boys - Sam, Raju, Sandip. The guys are extremely good natured and cheerful and try to service all your requests with a smile. The housekeeping staff are also prompt and cheerful.

The food at Agonda is good. But the only challenge I had was with the variety, which was limited. I think this is one area that Agonda Cottages needs to improve.

Overall, my experience at Agonda Cottages has been extremely good and I would recommend it to all people planning to visit Goa. At the same time, I felt that the price was on the higher side, considering that there were a few other places that were also offering cottages at significantly lower prices. Having said that, I did not regret paying the extra bucks during my stay there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

It was a pleasure to meet you and I will pass on your comments to the staff.

Room rates in Agonda have gone up in the last few years. The reason our rent are slightly more than some is because we provide new cottages, with hot water, safes, open-air bathrooms and large spring mattresses. We also pay our staff well and although we are only open for 6 months we must pay an all year around rent.

Fortunately like you, most guests appreciate these differences and most visitors to Agonda once had rucksacks and stayed in cheap hot huts, but now its cottages with hot-water and spring mattresses. We all deserve some comfort.