“amazing!”

and up
Epidaurus and Mycenae Small-Group Tour from Athens
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Epidavros
More attraction details
Owner description: An ancient Greek theater built in the third century.
Reviewed February 3, 2014

While touring Greece this December with my son we made sure to stop here and it was well worth the stop! a huge and magnificent amphitheatre awaits you here! Was the biggest and probably best maintained we saw. Stand in the centre and sing a little while your co-traveller goes up to the top to listen to the amazing acoustics that resonate still in this wondrous site. Make sure to check out the site of the Sanctuary of the Asklepios also. Amazing ruins of an advanced hospital!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,837)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

35 minutes around from the town of Nafplion,you must go and visit the ancient theater of Epidauros!What a joy of the eyes,what a beauty revealled!If possible during the summer when the greek festival is held there,go and see an ancient play!It is unforgettable!We went this year in late july and saw a play and we were simply filled with feelings of proudness, as after 2000 years ,in the same location ancient greeks performed,we were there as their spectators!Great scenery,great accoustics!You can buy tickets online,without any trouble at all,there is a large parking area,and friendly people will direct you to your seat,which is the actual seat ancients Greeks sat and watched the Drama or Comedy that was performed.
The prices for a play are quite expensive,if you buy seats near the stage,but totally worth it!Believe me!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

There's no point in belaboring the incredible experience of being in the this legendary site. Any one who enjoys theater knows about this site.

What I enjoyed as an unexpected bonus was the time at the adjacent sanctuary. It is in an odd state of reconstruction and seems quite accessible. I could easily understand what life was like in that town at that time.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Ancient Theatre must not be confused with the little theatre. The latter one is close to the city whereas the ancient theatre is some kilometers outside. But it is worth the journey!
In contrast to other ancient buildings it is preserved surprisingly well. The acoustic in this theatre is astonishing. One thing is sitting at the top of the theatre and listening to one in its middle. The other thing is going self to the middle of the theatre. Your own footsteps get louder as you approach the stone in the centre.
Next to the theatre are a lot of other ruins (hospital, stadion, temples,...). Some of them are beeing erected.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Our study abroad group came here and I was blown away. It was easily my favorite site that we visited in Greece. The accoustics of the theater are incredible. My friend stood in the center of the "stage" area and sang at a normal volume and I could hear her from where I sat at the very top. The staff there will often do a demonstration where they quite everyone in the theater and drop a coin, the sound of which can be heard by anyone in any part of the seating area. It is crazy! I would highly recommend this site for its historical value alone but add in the stunning background and panoramic view from the top of the stairs and you have definitely got a winner!