WINNER WONDERLAND

“We will never forget this Osteria” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osteria I Macelli

Osteria I Macelli
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“We will never forget this Osteria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have not reviewed Osteria I Macelli before, but I found this receipt dated 05/06/2012, (so can not truthfully select a date from your list) but I think this story tells a lot about this Osteria...

Looking on Google Map realized it was the place we turned to in desperation at 9pm at night, because we had been turned away by a deranged woman who would not accept our booking form when we arrived in LUcca at 6pm. We had to get on the road and look for digs on the spot. Many places were not open in early May.

I saw a waiter smoking outside the Osteria and persuaded my husband to stop the carand let me enquire. The waiter (don't know his name) said they had no rooms available 'but wait - I'll see what I can do.' He came back to say yes, would 40 euros be okay?

Gratefully we went in and dumped our bags in a large, rather bare bedroom. (Think it was a spare room in which they hastily made up a bed for us. There was a bathroom next door.)

Then we went down and had a fabulously delicious meal, and my husband was able to enjoy a decent amount of the bottle of wine he ordered for us.

So you see - this is one of our most treasured memories of three journeys in Italy, and typical of the kindness of the Italian people (as well as their good humour) with the one exception of the'Lady In Lucca' - who probably couldn't help her behaviour.

We always plan to return to the Osteria, but this year they were not on our touring route. Maybe next time. Thank you, all at Osteria I Macelli!

• Visited July 2014

Rouen, France
“Very good and friendly restaurant ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is hidden away at an exit (or entrance) of Borgo a Mozzano.

However it would be an error to miss it.

The food is very good and original.

It is made of fresh products.

The service is very quick and very friendly.

The prices are affordable.

It is a very good address.

Bali, Indonesia
“Very good local restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Just had the pleasure of a 2nd excellent dinner at Macelli.
As we were lucky enough to be there during the truffle season we had excellent pasta with truffles followed by an excellent boar stew along with a bottle of local red. It's a very local restaurant (at least in the winter) and all the nicer for that. Altogether a very pleasant evening with good service and good food.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank ubudman
lucca, Italy
“A total find in a quiet peaceful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been living up the road from I Macelli for summers, for the past five years and this year is the first time we have appreciated the range of fabulous dishes and the service, as well as more than decent prices. The mussels with garlic, oil and pepper are nothing less than fabulous. A dish of tagliatelle with a white sauce with rabbit is divine. The combination of fish and meat is quite perfect.
There is no disappointment here...and a nice surprise to keep coming back to, in winter as well as in the summer where terrace dining is delightful.

• Visited August 2013
Northampton
“Great food and great service - again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

3rd time here and still consistently good. Yes, relaxed service but just what we needed to cool down after a hot walk around beautiful Borgo.
Great generous starter of prosciutto and melon; gorgeous truffle pasta; slightly small tiramisu (but tasty) and very good value house prosecco. Yummy!
Well worth it - thoroughly recommended.

• Visited August 2013