“Bad service”
Review of Charnwood Arms

Charnwood Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coalville
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Staff need to acknowledge customers and actually care about their work. Food was ok and cheap, no check back. Coffee should Have been great as its costa but it was to strong and really bitter No friendly hello or good bye. Bar man was more interested in polishing his bar display than taking my money.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was a venue I was forced to stay at as it was part of a family wedding event but I was actually pleasantly surprised with the whole experience.

This is a motel/hotel with a large venue space which was home for the wedding reception that I was attending with my extended family. There is a bar and restaurant which offer good value prices and choice. All the serving staff were friendly, helpful and courteous to me and the other guests.

The sleeping accommodation was neat, clean and comfortable with a good TV for downtime and a very decent shower. Breakfast is paid for as an extra cost but their is extensive choice and overall it is good value. My only small criticism (as I like my fresh coffee) is there is only instant coffee included in the price of breakfast. Fresh Costa coffee is over £2 extra to the price of breakfast but a simple filter coffee would actually be better than instant and I'm sure not much more to include.

Overall though, I would stay here again if I had to visit the area!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a single storey room at the rear of the hotel as this will be the best for a quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Starter was freezing cold, and to make it worse our started was served 40 minutes after everyone else at our party's as they had 'bodged up' the menu (in waitresses words)

Main meal was cold and my cousins meal had a 10" long head hair in it!

Service is terrible, rude and impatient. Everything was too much effort for staff.

Won't go again. Ever.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Claireandscott1
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I visited the Charwood Arms on a resent buisness trip to this area, having never been here before I was looking for somewhere that would be relaxing, reasonably priced with axceptable food and good service.

I found this and more at the Charwood Arms. The staff could not do enough for both me and my wife, we stayed for three night and the evening meals were very good, well presented, hot and plenty of it. Our room was very clean and tidy, the bed was very nice and very comfortable.

The only comment that I would make and this is is no way ment as a slur on the Charnwood Arms, the room was wonderful a hot upon our arrival as was the stairwell area, infact it was to hot, hence we mentioned it at the reseption area when we went to eat and it was straight away taken care of, top marks for service.

I was pleasantly suprised at the breakfast, not being a big breakfast buff, it was nice to finf that they did a light bite, which I have never encountered before, for a small sum we got a drink and a bacon butty, excellent. Another very nice point that I again have never encountered was that we were asked at breakfast if we would mind if the cleaning lady vacummed the next room as it might disturb us. This is the level of thought by the staff, excellent.

A lot of other bigger major hotels would do well to take a leaf from these peoples book!

I wll certainly use this extablishment if in the area again.

Room Tip: We had the executive room, what a great set of rooms at less than most hotels charge for a standard...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This hotel is situated near roads which have many lorries attracted by the Waitrose depot and other similar premises in the vicinity. We therefore asked for a quiet room and were given a room in single storey accommodation in the centre of the hotel shielded from the road noise by the rest of the building. It was quiet when the air handling apparatus from the restaurant, which vents in that direction, was turned off between 11 and 12 pm.
The room was clean, the shower worked well and they even had decaffinated coffee sachets as well as the usual tea and coffee stuff - but no biscuits.
The staff were good and competent.
The price varies between £35 and £55 per night with breakfast (about £6 to about £7.50) extra.
The breakfast was the poorest part of the deal as for that price I would expect a wider choice and real coffee not a sachet of granules and a jug of hot water.
The evening meals are fine for the price - about £8 to £10 for a main course although I would have wished for more fresh vegetables.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tranmere10
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I visited The Charnwood Arms for the second time in a year a couple of weeks ago. Both visits were with friends to attend events at the Snibston Discovery Centre.

The first time we had a twin chalet straight onto the car park and this time we took up two upstairs twin rooms either side of the archway. I'm afraid we did make many Crossroads Motel jokes!

The rooms are really nice, and very good value. Simple, clean with all you need. A flatscreen TV, the usual kettle etc, a hairdryer and an iron. Efficient shower and plenty of towels, spare pillows etc. My only complaint with the rooms would be very stiff, or jammed windows.

We ate in the restaurant one night, and have to say we weren't expecting a lot from the chain restaurant type menu. However the meal deals were very good value and all 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed our choices.

The breakfast was a little less pleasing though. More expensive than the evening meals, which is fine as they were incredibly cheap, but charging extra for a decent cup of coffee was a little annoying. We decided to pass on the full cooked breakfast, but I had a very tasty bacon sandwich instead.

All in all a very good choice for a budget stay in the area. Far better than a travelodge. I'll certainly make The Charnwood Arms my first choice if I'm back in the area again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Room was much as expected, a little tired, but adequate for our needs as a stopover en-route. Had a nice evening meal. Room 8 has accommodation over the top of it, and on our stay it was occupied by some teenagers. Not sure what they were doing up there, but the floor creaked very loudly all night with them moving around and the constant banging, talking, music, kept us awake all night. They stood outside our window smoking and talking at 3 in the morning and were very intimidating, and the constant stream of cars visiting them didn't help. The issue is that after 10pm there is no reception or contact with management, so if you are unlucky enough to have noisy neighbours, you can't complain or get moved. We were up and dressed at 6am and sat outside the managers office until he arrived at 8am, to get a refund on our breakfast as we didn't want to stay any longer. Hopefully this was a one off but be warned, it spoilt our weekend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul_Shaz_K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coalville
Hermitage Park Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ashby de la Zouch
Ramada Loughborough Hotel
Ramada Loughborough Hotel
#12 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Charnwood Arms? Share your experiences!