“Welcoming hosts” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ravenstone Guest House
Ranked #3 of 3 Coalville B&B and Inns
“Welcoming hosts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We were made to very welcome. We didn't know when we would arrive since we were biking, but we were greeted well and the owner ordered pizza for us since it was Sunday night and we were famished. Our bikes were stored in the garage, which was reassuring. We were given many options for breakfast and I was thrilled to be able to have kippers for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Halmstad, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We just loved this place! Extremely welcoming couple, Mrs Ann Thorne and Mr John Thorne. Mrs Thorne was so helpful with all that we needed help with! We had our dogs with us and they were so welcome. Lovely paddock for the dogs to explore. We had ordered for an evening meal the night we arrived and enjoyed it so much. For people who love the old fashioned style this is just perfect. Our room was large and decorated so that we felt at home. We are looking forward to come back and we know that other Swedes have visited the same place and feel like we do.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Gundogs_in_England
Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the guesthouse for 1 night whilst visiting family in the Ravenstone area. The property is a beautiful farmhouse built in the 1760's and is very quaint. We were greeted by the proprietor Mr Thorne who gave us a very warm welcome & showed us to our room. The garden room was lovely, with comfortable bed, tea/ coffee making facilities, tv and shower. Breakfast was superb with a great selection of cereal, fresh fruit, cooked breakfast, croissants/toast,etc. Mr & Mrs Thorne were extremely accommodating and friendly & nothing was too much trouble for either of them. The literature in the room also made interesting reading. We had an enjoyable stay and wouldn't hesitate in returning when we are next in the area.

Room Tip: Garden room is ideal with a lovely view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie G
Chichester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights as we were attending a funeral in Nottingham. The room was lovely, very in keeping with the age of the property with a brass bedstead and a refreshing change from soul-less hotel rooms. Unfortunately the first morning after my husband had a bath, there was no hot water left for my shower, but luckily the immersion heater tank (which was timed for overnight heating and off at 7am!) was in a cupboard in our room and my husband was able to over-ride the thermostat so I could have a shower after breakfast. The next morning we both just had a shower, which was fine, but when we returned in the evening after the funeral, the water was only tepid, and the cupboard was locked! This was the only real niggle of the stay. Mrs Thorne was absolutely delightful. There was parking at the rear of the property, but we just parked easily outside on the road with no problems.

One thing we found really strange though was that the bathroom was traditional, but had a totally contradictory 'pyrex bowl' type of boutique wash basin; we couldn't fathom that one out!

The weather was a bit chilly and the heating wasn't on, but there was a free-standing fire in the room, but of course the bathroom was cold.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank memberChichester
Eindhoven
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I don't travel to this part of the UK very much and the loss is mine. Others have said it's run by two people - I only met one but she was great. The house is a little run-down and loaded with a lifetimes possessions, it also bears the marks of having several differnt eras of building work and I suspect may have been two or more properties over the years.

Room: Bed was clean and comfortable, although I did feel a bit as if I had borrowed someone's bedroom for the night

Bathroom: If I'm brutal it could have done with upgrading, but I had plenty of hot water and it was clean

Breakfast: Top notch, and prepared to order by someone who appreciates the expression "the most importnant meal of the day" ... to truely appreciate it I'd recommend going without dinner the night before!

Overall: I wouldn't choose to base myself here as I like business hotels with sports facilities, desks and high-speed internet. For the occaisional night I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon L
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Run by two wonderfully kind people with your interests at heart.
The best breakfast I have ever had at a B&B and the rooms are classical and quaint.
I don't remember when I have been made to feel as welcome and I now use this regularly as my second home. The other customers I meet have also been coming for months if not years so its selling up fast.

Room Tip: There are four or five rooms, but my favourite is the Garden Room, comfy double bed and quiet, oh so...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business