“Good Greek food in an Italian Enclave”
Review of Varelli - CLOSED

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Australia
“Good Greek food in an Italian Enclave”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

It may seem odd to go to a Greek restaurant in Norton St Leichhardt - an area supposedly specialising in Italian eateries, nonetheless that's what the 4 of us did recently and were pleasantly surprised by our decision. We carefully avoided any of the dishes which included "chips & salad" and found our meal very enjoyable as a result. The best dish was the bbq octopus - a large section of a big octopus, not the usual baby bits - which had been marinated and bbq-ed very well. Other dishes were sardines, haloumi, meat balls & lamb shoulder AND of course, plenty of greek salad. In all, a very good meal, served by a friendly, attentive waiter on a busy Friday night. Our waiter provided us with some complimentary yoghurt with honey & nuts to have with our greek coffee - much appreciated.
The only negative was the house wine. Make the effort to BYO and pay the modest $5 corkage charge - it will ensure the wine is as good as the food.

• Visited March 2014

“Room to improve. ”
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

After reading the negative reviews I was so tempted but hesitant at the same time. We had a variety of dips and entrees (mezedes) All of us agreed that the octopus was pre boiled before put on the grill, which questions its freshness and the batter on the calamari with a bed of chips was excessive, however the customer service was quite good and so was the retsina.

Sydney
“nice greek food and music”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

the food was good especially if you picked the recommendations.
the music was great, however it didn't leave breaks for conversation.

“Pleasant suprise”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

After reading some of the negative reviews I visted with apprehension.
I was pleasantly suprised to not experience any of the rude service or terrible food.
Grilled haloumi, spinach pie and slow roast lamb were all good and service was attentive.
If you are looking for modern Greek food in a slick environment this is not your place. It is
a good neighbourhood restaurant with old favourites in a warm, 'semi kitsch' Greek tavern setting perfect for a casual get together.

Sydney, Australia
“Terrible Food, Rude Service and False Advertising”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Varelli and I thoroughly do not recommend this place. The food was by far the worst I have experienced from any Greek Restaurant, it was incredibly inauthentic and paled in comparison to the numerous other Greek Restaurants in Sydney. Don't waste your time and money here guys, this is the WORST restaurant in Sydney. On top of the terrible food, the service was equally bad, if not worse. Our waiters were rude and made crude jokes which made my boyfriend and I extremely uncomfortable. Worse still, we had a voucher which explicitly stated that we would be receiving $180 in value for a Greek seafood buffet at Varelli, but rest assure, we did not receieve anything of the kind. Instead we were given two plates of cheap food, the second of which was largely bombarded with hot chips which again, turned me off the entire greek experience. I pretty much paid $50 for a plate of chips. I REALLY DO REGRET COMING TO THIS PLACE. TERRIBLE FOOD, RUDE SERVICE AND FALSE ADVERTISING.