“Home away from home”
Review of Hotel Colombus

Hotel Colombus
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aguada
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Freddy is amazing, best location. The food is to die for! Always fresh seafood. Home good cooking, great appetizers and very reasonably price. I highly recommend this hotel. It's very nice to order appetizers sit in back have a few amazing cocktails overlooking the beautiful ocean.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank DGH115

Reviewed March 17, 2014

loved it there freddy is the man ! we went for the surfing nice surf breaks right out front ..very friendly family had security at night felt safe room was simple and clean price was right if your going there surfing its nice its in the middle of all the major breaks Freddie will help you with anything he can the food was great lots of bars and nightclubs all around you can walk into town if your looking for all inclusive comfort this mite not b the place for you but if your surfing or on a active vacation you cant beat it the small town hospitality was the best part thanks again freddy

1  Thank gary h
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I came to Aguada alone, traveling for the first time by myself. Freddie, his staff and family friends all made me feel welcome and safe!
I didn't have a car while staying here for a week, so I spent most of my time at the hotel. I ate almost every meal here, and I must say, I feel spoiled! Freddie always made the kitchen open for my appetite... all of the food I have had has been amazing!!!
The local food is excellent. Thanks to my tour guide, a family friend, I was able to sample some knockouts... pizza from a truck, tacos and an assortment of tapas.
I love small town, especially in the off season. Quiet and comforting. The beach for swimming is a short walk along from the beach in front of the hotel.
I hear it gets wild and fun in the summer, but I was here for relaxation.
My room, wow!!! I have two windows facing the ocean, creating such a crossbreeze that I haven't had the ac on once. Room 23 is definitely where to sleep for panoramic sunsets...

Hope you guys keep practicing 9-Ball, and I will be back!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank BetsieRD
Reviewed February 19, 2014

manager is very nice but for the price was not worth it . we received only one towel and one roll of toilet paper. room was passable , felt like we were staying in someone's home. small tv, fridge & average bed. only plus was you woke up to a nice view of the ocean and the beach is right behind the hotel. tons of bars the block and not to far from Rincon.

2  Thank MARGARITA427
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Freddie is the ideal hotelkeeper. He makes you feel welcome, and will do everything he can to help you find the place. But he only has one employee - a part-time gardener, and he's doing everything else by himself. Good coffee, a decent scrambled egg breakfast, an acceptable fish dinner.
The place is a bit intimidating to find if this is your first venture off the freeways in Puerto Rico, but it's not really that hard. Just take 115 off the freeway and head towards the water. When you get to the Shell gas station, bear right and head straight to the beach. Take a right. The place is on your left, just a couple blocks north. It is literally right on the water.
There are two categories of rooms: the $200+/night ones are modern, recently redone, and have a glass wall that lets you look right at the incoming waves all night. The windows also open, so you can listen to the waves, too. $100/night is at the north end; shared veranda in front faces the water; the windows do not open; shared hallway with similar rooms facing the road.
Freddie is the nicest guy in the world, and he will give you the shirt off his back. He also has visions of going big-time. I truly hope his wife (an extraordinary woman) keeps those visions in check so he can do what he really does do well - stay home, raise the kids, and keep this little wayside inn in the family.
The beach in this area is NOT swimmable - riptides are clearly marked as dangerous.
It is a decent place to stay if you are there for the surfing - which depends on whether there is any. Crash Boat Beach is about 20 minutes' drive north and is great just about any time for the people-watching; Rincon has a very nice public beach about the same distance to the south.

Room Tip: South end, upstairs, has very dramatic view of the ocean coming up right under your window. The ent...
3  Thank DavePorter090
Reviewed January 21, 2014

First off, if you're looking for directions to this place, look up Foursquare. It's probably the only one which has the right coordinates - not Google, TripAdvisor or any of the other ones. Also, it has a board which advertises Atlantis, the restaurant bigger than Colombus in small letters, so you might miss it. We spent a good 45 minutes trying to locate the place!

Hotel Colombus is a great location right by the ocean, with the waves hardly 20 feet below you when you stand on the balcony. The night sky here is simply beautiful due to the lack of powerful lights nearby. You may need to drive a fair distance for the sunset as it gets blocked by a higher cliff.

The owner was very pleasant and made us feel comfortable.

The rooms were very basic and we would've liked to have a hair dryer and some conveniently located power outlets for the price we paid.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank the_0ne
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Colombus in March 2013.
I had an amazing experience staying at the hotel. I went there for surfing and was not disappointed. Freddy served great coffee every morning, and I was extremely impressed by how him and his wife handles the operation of the hotel. The room was nice and clean and the area is great if you are looking for a quiet holiday. I also had a great time playing pool in the bar area.
The best part about Aguada are the remote beaches and the hospitality from Freddy and his family. I went with my girlfriend and we truly enjoyed the serenity.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Krisskampen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aguada
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Parador El Faro
Parador El Faro
#2 of 3 in Aguadilla
Parador Villa Parguera

Been to Hotel Colombus? Share your experiences!