“Hidden jewel! Best food in the area!”
Review of Hotel Colombus

Hotel Colombus
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aguada
San Francisco, California
“Hidden jewel! Best food in the area!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Lucky me I booked room at this great hotel. Came to PR for friend of mine wedding and searched for inexpensive place to stay for few nights. Place was wonderful for this kinda money; clean, on the beach and greatest food in the island! Also service was the best; Freddy took special care of every need and detail and his wife cooked fantastic food! Also thanks to Steve, the caretaker for great company! This is full service hotel for sure. I stayed at bigger chain hotel for one night before coming to Colombus and that was waste of double the money I spend here. Personal service you get at Colombus is top notch! Everybody was amazingly friendly and your stress "peels" away right at the door! Having cocktail and watching sunset at the terrace right at the ocean, what else you need? That's PR baby!!!

PS. highly recommend seafood salad at restaurant Atlantis or octopus or beans and rice or...it smelled like great food there all the time! Freddy also gets his lobsters from his own fisherman "right out of the water" fresh daily. I saw beautiful lobsters coming in my first morning there!

So don't waste your money anywhere else. Book your stay at Colombus and let Freddy take care of everything so you can relax and enjoy PR!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Henri L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I pass the best weekend of my life in this place,Great view owner Freddy is great a great host I loved the amazing food I want to go back ASAP and the price for the rooms was a great price it's a great hotel. The best part he look just like my dad so It feel like i wasn't to far from home.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank MerilisMoh
US
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Damn where do I start? Freddy he's the man, my girlfriend and I show up close to midnight, thinking to our self "oh crap, it's late, there going to be pissed we didn't show up earlier". Hell no! we walk through those double doors like a pair of hammered slothes from a half day of travelling, and there's Freddy at the bar. Dude looks at us and our bags and goes straight to the front desk. Next thing I know he has our room key waiting for us. No kidding took less than 2 minutes, but oh wait our room was already booked. Did he flinch, hell no! "Hey we upgraded you guys, no extra charge". This wasn't just any upgrade, this was a damn upgrade for a king. After we unpack our luggage, we had back to the bar. With quick bartending skills Freddy pops the top of two beautifully cold and refreshing beers for me and my girlfriend. Now that day wasn't any other day it was my 22nd birthday, and after saving up like crazy for this trip I finally had the cash to go crazy in my country. What Freddy do when he herd it was my birthday? He just poured me a tough as nails shot, on the house! For the next 10 days he and his incredible staff were always there to give assistance. Hell, the'll even do your laundry! Your dirty laundry is no concern for them! Plus their food is amazing. I wanted to show my girlfriend good Puerto Rican cuisine, she just stuffed whatever came on her plate down in her throught. 11/10 I would come back to the Hotel Colombus.
P.S. the security guard that comes at night is a very friendly and sociable person. Seriously every body at this hotel was freaking friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marcus G
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Three friends and I missed our flight back to NY and our Cab driver Dario suggested we stay at the Hotel Colombus. He said the prices were better and it is right on the beach. I was thinking, what the heck, at least it's somewhere until tomorrow. Boy, I did not expect to find a place where everything was perfect. The rooms are beautiful and the food is really good. But Freddie is the best! His hospitality is 5 star and he treats his guests like family. I am returning to PR in June and will spend much more than a night at Hotel Colombus. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay in the room overlooking the water. Not only is it beautiful and clean, but the sleep you get l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MsSidnie
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Talk about personable experience! We stayed at the Hotel Colombus for a few days and had a great experience. The restaurant food was good, breakfast was delicious, bar drinks were great and the location, on the water is fantastic.

The most distinguishing, however, was Freddy, the most friendly, helpful, and giving hotel owner. It was a pleasure chatting with him, as he is just a good, accommodating person. Each guest at the hotel had equally fantastic experiences with him, as he just aims to please.

Our apartment-style room was incredibly spacious and had a wall of window, literally, over the water. The sound of the waves was incredibly peaceful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week and had a very good stay. When we unexpectedly showed up 8 hours earlier than our reservation called for, we were immediately shown a nice room with no fuss or bother. The customer service was excellent and the ocean facing rooms are literally right on the ocean!

There are however a few caveats (though they are pretty minor). Coming from America, you expect the front desk to be staffed 24/7. This was not the case and I would not imagine that it is the case for your average hotel in Puerto Rico. The only other thing is that the pillows and mattress were subpar, but again this is probably the case with any hotel in this area that is in this price range.

Overall a very good stay and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel with an ocean view in the Aguada area.

Room Tip: To get the full experience, pay the extra money for the ocean facing rooms ... the ocean is literall...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Hotel Colombus is not a Marriott or a high end resort by any stretch of the imagination. However, it never for one moment has claimed that it was. It's website tells you that you'll get a room with a/c, tvDish network, and the most beautiful sunset. And that's 100% accurate. From there, I saw one of the most serene and calming sunsets ever.

This hotel is local owned, off the beaten path, comfortable, laid back, not in the heart of the touristy area, and situated in quaint Aguada without having to deal with the overtaken touristy Rincon. We initially wanted to stay in Rincon but we booked too late and everything was sold out. So we found this, just 15-20 minutes from Rincon.

Even though the hotel seems a little old and could really use a remodel, it still felt quaint and cozy. My issues with the hotel were few, but honestly, didn't make a difference since we were there for one night. The sink was leaking and it just appeared to be an old room. But honestly, I didn't care. I was in Aguada, Puerto Rico at an adorable hotel in December where it was 82 degrees out, the nicest people in the world, and you wake up the beautiful blue ocean. How could I complain?

The balconies were shared balconies which was kind of cool. We grabbed drinks and just hung out there at night after returning from dinner. There was another couple outside as well and they were friendly but kept to themselves. But you could easily meet other people out there for the travelers that look for that.

Also, the owner made fresh coffee for us in the morning. The other tourists I saw there were American and French.

In regards to the location, you can walk to some of the restaurants and bar - they aren't too far away.

To address the ridiculous comment from the lady/review below about there being a bug in the hallway, um, she failed to mention the hallway to the rooms was OUTdoors. So naturally, there would be a bug here or there, although we never saw one during our stay.

Overall, this hotel is an excellent choice if you truly want Puerto Rico, not something overly Americanized, off the beaten path, the most incredible ocean smell in the morning, the sound of the beach as you drift asleep, and a sunset you find on post cards all in a humble setting.

Room Tip: Definitely get ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DCChiq
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aguada
Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo
Lazy Parrot Inn
Lazy Parrot Inn
#2 of 7 in Rincon

Been to Hotel Colombus? Share your experiences!