“Great place to stay!”

Grateful Souls Hostel
Gatineau, Canada
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We often stay in hostels during our travels around the world, so we know what to expect from simple accommodations, but we can honestly say this has been our favorite one! A great laid back feel, beautiful house, the beach is right in the backyard!The hosts Sara and Laura were awesome, and helpful at suggesting places to visit. We were only there for 2 days and wished it was longer, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dominique H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My stay in Puerto Rico definitely wouldnt have been the same if I had stayed somewhere else! The Hostel Hostile was an experience in itself and we're all already planning our next trip back. From the ocean front view, private beach, bbq patio, to the stellar K9 companions, the hostile has everything you could want. Loved meeting all the people and our hostile pot luck dinner was probably the best meal all week. Laura was amazingg and so helpful with everything. Seriously anyone coming to puerto rico HAS to stay here!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Gwen B
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Hostile Hostel was the best experience ever! The surf was top notch, needles to say, Table Rock is your own personal surf break! Wake up, surf, explore, surf. Every day!!! Laura is a super rad host whom anybody can get along with. The price is amazing, and you have free waffles in the morning. Its like nothing I had ever experienced. You actually have a role in the community. There are no other hotels near by, and you will feel as if you are the only tourist there! Its a quick ride to Rincon if your trying to go the bars and see other tourist. The locals are super cool and are very open to everyone. I personally made around 15 great new friends. Its a wild time to say the least. Treat people with respect and you will get respect too! I left my notebook there, and I just shot Laura an email and she found it instantly and mailed it! In addition to that you will experience Puerto Rico, the sunsets are to die for, hammocks everywhere to take a little siesta! They will recommend and give you directions for any of your needs. The Hostile Hostel provides the best environment for your vacation! I can't wait to come again and do it all again! Thanks again Laura and to all the people that I met!

Room Tip: If you want to meet everyone, stay in the dorm room. If you want your own personal space ask for a s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jimmy F
Rye Brook, New York
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Going downhill fast! Do NOT stay here!!! Great location and house but tons of DRAMA, we joked about how it felt like we were on a terrible episode of the real world, definitely not somewhere to relax on vacation. Laura was away and Sara showed us our room and where the beach was. My boyfriend and I were hanging out on the beach at night when Sara came out and said we need to follow house rules and leave our keys on the counter as people need to move cars to get out. We moved the car and left our keys on the counter. In the morning our car was moved again and no keys anywhere! Some girls who left early that morning had taken our keys with them after moving our car. We missed our adventure we had planned that day farther inland and it threw off our trip by a day along with costing us $335 from the rental company, we rented the car in San Juan so they had to drive out there with a new car and take the one with no keys. We called and text Sara who said it wasn't her fault and only had an email for the girls but no number and that she was on vacation and nothing she could do. She stated that it was not her fault or responsibility and in less than two minutes hung up on us saying she would not deal with this now that she was on vacation! After getting back to NY I called Sara multiple times before she picked up and said that Laura is suing her claiming she cannot give us any money back as it would add to the lawsuit and that she wouldn't take it out of her personal account. Stating again that none of this was her fault and saying she doesn't see how I could think she or the hostel should take any responsibility!!! It seems this place may have been a great place at one point but NOT ANYMORE!
Some early 20's really hungover guy was the only one who "worked" there that we found out while leaving. He could care less and all he did was change some sheets just when another couple came to stay, other than that he was passed out on the couch. $335 in extra rental cars fees, a day out of our trip which is money as well, much frustration and $79 for our stay at the hostel. AAAAAHHH! insert choice words here...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Ariel F
Ocean City, New Jersey
Reviewed February 22, 2014

As far as hostiles go, this one is pretty rad. Laura & Sara are two awesome girls who go all out to make sure your stay is a good one. The beautiful large house boasts two kitchens, plenty of lounge space, and plenty of beds, directly on a nearly secluded beach in Aguada. (I went for a run and passed only 3 people!) If you like to stay off the beaten path, this place is for you. Within a short drive is Rincon (15 mins tops) where you can find plenty of everything you might need (waves, bars, restaurants, shops) and then escape back to the sanctuary that is the (totally non) Hostile Hostel. You would be best served renting a car, but there are so many people around you might be alright without one. Overall, great people, great vibes, great time. Should I ever find myself in Puerto Rico again I'll definitely be posting up here for round two.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank bare_soul
USA
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was hoping to find a simple place to get some sleep from midnight to 4am before my early early flight out of aguadilla, but I guess I picked the wrong place. The whole house was basically a loud party that went on until 2am. Like, I was attempting to sleep with earplugs... and I have previously lived above a bar... and this was STILL loud. Also the sheets looked dirty and there were no window screens so we got plenty of mosquitos. Anyway, I guess I picked the wrong place to stay-- if you are looking for an all night beach party with these folks,stay here. If you want to sleep, do not stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scooter194
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The location is top notch, the house spreads the love. I expected a bed but there was so much more.... machete to open freshly harvested coconuts from the beach's palm trees. annie hall live episode with a mega crab doing his side walk on the kitchen floor. beautiful shells and colorful seaglass on the beach. gliding pelicans nosedive to fish. slackline workout. hammock chilling. toys to surf, bodyboard, beach cruise. coffee'n'waffles. and cigarettes. open fire pit and marchmellows. beachtaxi. friendsgiving. puppies. It can't get any better than this!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aguada
Hotel Colombus
#1 of 8 in Rincon
Courtyard Aguadilla
Courtyard Aguadilla
#1 of 3 in Aguadilla

Been to Grateful Souls Hostel? Share your experiences!