“Mixed feelings now”

Cuisines: Puerto Rican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I'm a local, and I live less than 5 minutes from Platano Loco, but it was a while since my last visit, so I went along with my husband and kids, and now that I'm reading last reviews on this place I fear it has become a hit-or-miss. It was past noon on a mid-January Saturday, so all the fuzz and the crowd from Christmas was long since gone. We were the first guest that arrived, so why would the food take so long to arrive? There are not servers to bring the food and you have to pick it up at the station, so I still don't understand the delay, and while food was delicious, I still don't justify the restaurant-style price. The place is NOT located in a trendy or tourist area, and not even has been renovated. I know there is still quite some fuzz about the place because of the plaintain-based concept, and even enjoy the tricky route to get there, but once you've been there once or twice, the delay is not fun anymore

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Do you really want ro experience authentic puerto rican food and authentic puerti rican folklore, go to El Platano Loco. Great food great hospitality, with the puertorrican tradition.

1  Thank Jose C
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

After spending a weekeng in Cabo Rojo, we decided to stop here for lunch. This is not a restaurant, more like a fast food. The restaurant itself is in nees remodeling. It looks old. There are no waiters here. You order and then sit to wait for your ticket number to be called.
It took 35 minutes to get our appetizers and 15 more to get the food. Food was ok, not great. Portions are ok. That day, they only had plantain flan for dessert. The worst part: a big roach flying around us while we ate.
Too far for the trouble.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Awesome! Nothing really resembling "authentic" 'Rican food. Just theyre version of good food! Place is awesome. They only open on weekends, as we once found out (the hard way)

2  Thank Puertoricosigns
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Im a local, and I could travel from anywhere to get a "Burrifongo", (wich is a Burrito filled with chicken or ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and Mashed Plantains). The place is like a "Chinchorro/Restaurant". It's very inside the mountains of Aguada, so the views are amazing. I recommend the "sorrullitos of Plantains". All the food are inexpensive and tasty.

If you're visiting them in the weekend, you should go early because the place turns crowded on weekends.