“A unique experience!”

Chapandaz
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I have decided to start with the letter A, and try as many different cuisines as we can. This was our first time trying Afghan food. It was wonderful. We chose to sit on mats with comfy cushions ( on the floor) for a real authentic experience. The young server was very polite and offered suggestions. However, service was a little slow at times, and the restaurqnt was empty! We had an appy, which was like an Afghan quesadilla...delicious. The entrees were very large and incredibly flavourful-cumin, spices, sauces. The chicken kabobs and lamb were great, as well as the savory rice with toppings, as well as the other side dishes. It was a fun evening!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Decided to try the Chapandaz for something outside the usual and it was an enjoyable experience all around. Don’t be fooled by the exterior of the building, the inside has lots of atmosphere. You can have a regular table with chairs or go Afgan style and sit on cushions on the floor. I ordered the Chapandaz platter which has a sample of several dished and my friend had the Vegan platter - both were very good. I will definitely be back but will save room for some dessert next time.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Was looking for something a bit different as most of the restaurants in Port Moody seem to be Sushi! I'm on holiday from the UK and have never had Afghan food before and thought I'd give it a go. All I can say is Wow! We had the Kebab take-away for 3 people off the set menu. I had walked to the restaurant to pick up the food and the owner offered to give me a lift back home, which was unexpected but a really nice touch. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the food was like nothing I'd ever tried before. We get a lot of Indian restaurants in the UK and I was expecting something slightly similar (curried meat and rice) but it was nothing like that. Afghan food seems to be more like Greek cuisine, with breads and very fresh vegetables. The rice, which is usually quite plain or greasy in take-aways, was fresh and tasty, with almonds and grated carrot. To say that the meat "fell apart in your mouth" would be a complete understatement, it was probably some of the best lamb I've ever had.

A genuinely terrific meal, with great staff and service. I will be coming again for sure and definitely trying Afghan cuisine again! (Though I'd order the set meal for 2 people next time as there was lots of food left for the morning!)

Reviewed May 31, 2013

First experience of Afghan food with a group of friends. We had the large room with mats on the floor and the food was fabulous.
I had the Veggie Platter, which was an appy and main for under $20, it was delicious. Everyone enjoyed their meals.
A very friendly place and I will be going back.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were 3 very hungry folks after a long day of hiking then shopping and wanted something different. After reviewing a few options online we optedt to try Chapandaz and Afgan food. All the reviews said to do not judge by the outside, so we didn't. The restaurant inside is warm and inviting, we sat at the back on the floor cushions at low table and were immediately relieved of our shopping stress. There is small wine and beer menu with few choices, but enough for us to find what we required. Being we are 2 vegetarians and one wanna be veggie, there were plenty of choices. We split the vegetarian platter which is great value for appetizers and main course all in one. The hummus came with thick pita and tasty hummus. The platter was filled with eggplant, lentils, cauliflower and some deep fried potatoes that were more like french fried discs but were good - with yogurt dips. We knew we were eating more than our fair share of fat, but were in the mood for that at the time and still managed to squeeze in desert. The balava came warm and syrupy. The entire meal for 3 with appetizers, wine, beer & dessert came to $89. The service a little slow and they forgot one of our dishes, but brought it out later and didn't charge for it. So that was nice. They do take out too. My daughter lives near which is why were in the area and has used the service a few times. Overall it was good value and a nice change. They have a TV playing in the front incase you can't miss the hockey game while your out for dinner too.