“nice place”

Onyx Steak Seafood Bar
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Onyx is a fresh and innovative twist on a classic Steakhouse. We are devoted to cuisine and wine and we show it off by providing an extensive Wine List and serving top cuts of meat that we dry-age ourselves, in-house. That said, we're not above having a little fun! Come in for a drink, an amazing meal or snacks, and fall in love with a room that instantly relaxes you. Between the diverse menu, the vibe of the room and the energy of our staff, we know that you'll feel comfortable in our hands.
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This place has very nice staff and the lounge and patio are my favourite places to go. The food is worth going in for. Only tip I have is that when it is slow, the bar staff are very loud, still working but almost shouting their conversations. All in all, great atmosphere and food.

There are newer reviews for Onyx Steak Seafood Bar

Reviewed May 23, 2014

the food and service were quite good, however with the exception of the daily specials, the prices a little high. If you are not a steak lover (I know why go to a steak house) there is not a lot of choice. Most steakhouses do offer some other alternatives, but there really was only about 3 items that were not steak or beef on the menu and none really jumped out at me. Two of the people in our party had the prime rib special and loved it. One member of the party had ribs, she also said they were quite good, however, the portion wasn't that large so a man may have been hungry still. I had the crispy chicken salad, it was just okay, but as I said there weren't a lot of options for me a non beef eater. the appetizers were quite good, except the prawn cocktail which was very pricey for the 5 or 6 that you got. The calamari was good and a decent portion though.

the drinks were excellent as was the service

1  Thank Tracie W
NIckPGem, Owner at Onyx Steak Seafood Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Hello Tracie,

Firstly thank you very much for dining at ONYX Port Moody. I was hoping you could expand on your comments about not offering enough selection for entrees other than steak. Currently we offer the following entrees that are not steak:

Lois Lake Steelhead Salmon
Albacore Tuna
Lobster
Fraser Valley Chicken
Babyback Ribs (which I should mention is a full rack)
Vegetarian Gnocchi

We also have a great selection of Casual Favourites and Entree Salads and are as follows:
Albacore Tuna Sandwich
ONYX Signature "Steak" Burger
Shortrib Sandwich
Prime Rib Fried Rice Bowl
Albacore Tuna Salad
Local Roasted Fraser Valley Beet Salad with Fraser Valley Chicken Breast
Quinoa Salad
Southern Fried Chicken Salad

Another nice way to dine at ONYX which a lot of guests like to do is just order a bunch of sides from our sides and add ons menu and dine Tapas style. Excellent items like Bacon Almond Brussel Sprouts or our famous Truffle Lobster Mac "n" Cheese which is soooo good. There about another 10 items on top of this that you could choose from. All this talk of food I think I am going to go eat at ONYX tonight :)

ps We take pricing very seriously and review quarterly against our competitors such as Keg, Cactus Club, Joey's etc. You will notice that our pricing is very much aligned with their's and in some cases better. Also it should be noted that we serve a higher grade/quality of Beef called "Angus Signature Reserve".

Thanks again for coming and really look forward to hearing back from you!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We just returned from our second visit to Onyx Steakhouse in Port Moody, BC. We expect this to be just one of many future visits we'll make. Onyx offers the ambience, service and quality of food one would expect of a finer restaurant, without the usual downside: downtown traffic and expensive parking. The decor is contemporary, but warm and inviting with deep shades of brown and rich red upholstery accents. The service at Onyx is attentive but unhurried. The food quality is, in our opinion, the equal of any downtown Vancouver restaurant. My wife had the brie cheese starter, followed by a perfectly cooked petite filet mignon. I opted for the French onion soup which came with a delicious sherry-laden broth, and the pork back ribs with barbequed blueberry sauce for my main course. Both of our meals were expertly made and attractively presented. For dessert, we shared a tart and tasty Apple Galette - a wonderful way to end the evening. We are finding that you don't have to travel to downtown Vancouver to enjoy a top flight meal. If you are looking for an exceptional dining experience in the Tri-Cities area, we strongly recommend Onyx Steakhouse.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We have visited ONYX on a couple of occasions and both times were underwhelmed with our meals and the service. Most concerning was the seating, which is far too cramped (6'2" & 230lbs) - both the booths and the tables. We also found it to be quite hot. It is unfortunate, as the location is very convenient for us.

NIckPGem, Owner at Onyx Steak Seafood Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Hello,

My name is Nicholas Popoff and my wife Angela and I are the owners of ONYX. We are sorry to hear that you were not happy with your experience. We would love to chat further with you about your experience so we know exactly where we need to improve. You may have noticed that are Port Moody location has a strong rating on OpenTable and in the last six weeks has climbed from 38th to 10th on Tripadvisor. We would like to think that this is the result of hard work, care for our guests, and consistency in product. That said we know we are not perfect and would like to make this right with you. I can be reached at nicholas@gemhospitality.ca.

Nicholas + Angela Popoff

Reviewed April 14, 2014

A very unpleasant experience with this restaurant, my wife and I, went with our son and his girlfriend for dinner. The Door Buster offer is buy 2 appies and 2 entree's you get the second entree free, which our son and his girlfriend had, my wife and I opted to just have 2 entree's without the appies.
I, asked if I could use the entertainment book coupon for my wife and my meal, which is buy one entree and get the second one free, up to $17.00. The server, said we could do that, when my son went to go and pay for his so called Door Buster Special, he was told he was not entitled to the special since I used a coupon for our dinner. We, were paying separately, so I didn't think this was an issue.
I emailed Onyx, and the President called me back the next day, to explain their reason for the special. I don't feel they deserve my business in the future, when they could not resolve this matter.
I, mentioned to the President, so if we sat at separate tables, then the coupon and the Door special would apply!

The service is slow at best!

Leaving a bad taste in our mouths.....:(

1  Thank L-H-OKUMURA