“This was the last time!”
Review of Onyx Steak Seafood Bar - CLOSED

Onyx Steak Seafood Bar
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Onyx is a fresh and innovative twist on a classic Steakhouse. We are devoted to cuisine and wine and we show it off by providing an extensive Wine List and serving top cuts of meat that we dry-age ourselves, in-house. That said, we're not above having a little fun! Come in for a drink, an amazing meal or snacks, and fall in love with a room that instantly relaxes you. Between the diverse menu, the vibe of the room and the energy of our staff, we know that you'll feel comfortable in our hands.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I brought my wife for dinner on Dec,23rd / 2013. We were the only couple there, the manager/waiter, Jose would not even sit at the table we wanted as it was a sitting for 4, the table he put us at first was by the door and very small.
We then ordered, I had a Caesar Salad, for a starter, it was soggy, very little cheese, stale croutons. When I brought this to Jose's attention he seemed quite concerned, we were sitting by the kitchen and we could here him and the cook (not Chef) laughing about it. It took 45 min's for our dinners to get there! I ordered a med-well Sirloin which came out well done and so tough, my wife ordered the petite filet with blue cheese sauce, the sauce ended up being a frozen hockey puck, we called Jose over, he looked startled and did not think there was a problem at first but he agreed to take it back to the kitchen, to thaw it out. It came back 30 sec's later a little less of a hockey puck but still cold. I had bought 2- $100 gift certificates which I had given one for that evening. I requested it back which was given to me. Before we left Jose asked me for my contact info, as he was going to call me and make this right? (whatever that meant) Guess what never heard from him! We used to frequent this establishment especially for our wedding anniversary in January, but last year the experience was so bad we left and went to the Keg! I still have 2- $100 gift certificates that I want to return and have had no luck with anyone returning my call's and the company on the website selling the certificates for Onyx have been no help at all! I am sure I will not hear from ownership or management. The last thing that Jose said to me was that the chef was off that night taking his son to the Canucks game, I guess they promoted the dishwasher to cook!

1  Thank Mur_Man2014
NIckPGem, Owner at Onyx Steak Seafood Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Hi my name is Nicholas and I am sorry that your experience did not go well.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

No matter how much I want to like this place it ALWAYS comes up short. I have been here for brunch, dinner and appies. It is a waste each time. The service is not good. The menu is not tasty and the prices are average. I think the idea has been lost. COME ON GET WITH IT PEOPLE!!!!!! Save your money and if you have children forget it all together.

1  Thank Misty3108
NIckPGem, Owner at Onyx Steak Seafood Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Hi Misty my name is Nicholas and I am sorry that your experience did not go well. We are working very hard on improving the consistency in our Port Moody location and clearly we missed with your table. We would like to make it right and I am hoping you could reach out to me via email to discuss further. My email address is nicholas@gemhospitality.ca

Nicholas Popoff

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were at Onyx for dinner this weekend and had a fantastic experience!! There were four of us so the server recommended that we tried ordering a la carte style which was new to us. It was a great recommendation because we got to build our dinner. I love a good steak and the New York Strip loin I had was cooked perfectly and tasted great. My wife had the Petit Filet and she said it tasted better than the one she had at the Keg last week. My in laws both had Prime Rib, I tried it and it melted in my mouth. The sides we ordered were good size portions. This was the first time I had ever tried Lobster Mac and cheese and all I can say is wow, rich and creamy and they do not hold back on the lobster. Usually I don’t like brussel sprouts but the way they make them there is so tasty. We were going to skip dessert but the way the server described some of the items we decided to try a couple of them. The chocolate cake was awesome and huge. It’s big enough for 3 people to share. I’m always looking for value when I go out for dinner and I found it at Onyx. We usually go to the Keg when we want steaks for dinner but not anymore. Onyx is cool place, you feel like you’re at a restaurant in Yaletown. The server was really friendly and attentive but more important he knew how to describe all the items we asked about. Even one of the managers dropped by our table to say hi and to make sure we were having a good time. I can’t wait for my birthday next month so I can go back for dinner. Enjoy

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have been here a few times and always have good service and the food has always been good. The 30 minute Ceasar is my all time favorite with fresh grated horseradish. The Filet Mignon burger with tempura bacon is a favorite as is the Onyx salad with steak. I haven't had a steak here though, so can't comment on that-I always go back for the burger. It is a little darker inside like a70's steak house which I love, nice patio in summertime & I also like the bar area seating. Go try it!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

After reading most of the reviews here I decided to go ahead and book a small Birthday dinner there. Outside of 1 minor item (which our waitress handled like a rockstar) everything was very good. Service was awesome, food was great and the environment was pretty smokin' as well! The only thing that you will notice is the amount of food you get compared to the amount you pay, not horrible or enough to stop me from going back but that is my only issue with the evening.

This place has my vote and I hope it stays a fixture in Port Moody!