“Molokini-Lana'i Snorkel - Great Trip”

Pacific Whale Foundation
Whale Watching from Ma'alaea Harbor
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Maalaea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cruise with the experts at Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui's top-rated ocean ecotours based on more than 38 years of marine research and sustainable ecotourism experience. PacWhale has cruises for every style of adventure, including whale and dolphin watch ecotours, snorkel trips, sunset cocktail and sunset dinner cruises, holiday cruises, stargazing ecotours, and more. You'll cruise on ultra-stable, eco-friendly vessels with knowledgeable, friendly certified Marine Naturalists. Choose PacWhale Eco-Adventures and make a difference: all profits support research, education and conservation programs to protect marine wildlife and the ocean environment. Cruises depart from Ma'alaea & Lahaina Harbors.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 8, 2010

On my first and, so far, only trip to Maui, this tour was one of the most fun parts of our vacation. The staff on the boat provided great service and instruction and were a lot of fun. The snorkeling was very good at both Molokini and Lana'i as we saw a lot of colorful fish and a baby sea turtle. During the boat ride between Molikini and Lana'i there was an optional educational session for those who wanted to learn about the many different species of marine life. It was very informative. On the way back they stopped the boat near Maui and we saw 3 or 4 more sea turtles from the boat. Happy snorkeling.

1  Thank TravelChampDaMan
Write a ReviewReviews (8,935)
All reviews
in 201 reviews
"breakfast and lunch"
in 131 reviews

Reviewed November 8, 2010

I highly recommend the Pacific Whale Foundation: Molokini and Lanai Snorkel Cruise excursion! The boat is well staffed and clean. Our tour guides were very knowledgeable and friendly. You will be feed a healthy breakfast, lunch and snacks. (There is plenty of food available at any time. Initially, you will be served at your seat. Then the staff places all leftovers on the counter in the galley for open access, so there is always food out downstairs for seconds.) There is a open bar most of the afternoon.

I am a petite female, so I rented a wetsuit top for $10 and was very pleased that they offered this option. It kept me warm in the cool November waters. They also offer "reef safe sunscreen" free of charge, this was a nice touch as well.

Trip highlight: The captain made a point to take us by a pod of spinner dolphins on the cruise back to the harbor. We had 100 spinner dolphins swimming next to our boat. The dolphins swam over to us and hung around for at least 20 minutes, racing the boat, jumping out of the water and playing around. It was truly an amazing and beautiful experience.

I look forward to returning to Maui and doing this tour again when the whales are in Hawaii for the winter.

1  Thank TexasCFritz
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I went on the Molokini/Turtle Arches Snorkel cruise out of Ma'alaea Harbor. I was thoroughly impressed with everything about the Pacific Whale Foundation, all the crew members were helpful and friendly and everything was very well organized.
Molokini was alright snorkeling but we loved the turtle arches and the turtles and dolphins that came to swim by our boat on the way back to the harbor.
Our entire crew deserves a thumbs up but Amy really went above and beyond, her passion and enthusiasm for what she does is contagious.
Definetly rent the neoprene shirt, I hesitated renting one but I was really glad I did...it helped keep us warm and our backs sunburn free.
When I return to Maui I would not hesitate to book another trip with Pacific Whale Foundation. Great job!

1  Thank camoang
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Wonderful day out, really good snorkeling in Molakini and off the coast of Lanai but the best bit was finding a pod of over 150 Spinner dolphins that played and swam around the boat. The experts on board were all friendly, approachable and full of local knowledge about both the aquatic and land based wild life. Good value for money and at least you feel its going towards a good cause.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Today I took a 7 1/2 hour snorkeling tour guided by the Pacific Whale Foundation. We snorkeled in a dormant volcano, Molokini, and snorkeled at a reef off the coast of Lanai. They provided masks with corrections for nearsighted people. Also, for $10.00 I rented a dive shirt that made all the difference in my comfort level. Our tour was lead by college graduates who continually provided information and gave lessons to those of us who had never snorkeled or who needed a refresher. Tyler and Chris were awesome leaders. EVERYBODY on the crew appeared to love their job. Amazing experience!!