“Great Snorkling Experience!”

Whalewatch Sail Deluxe Lahaina
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Maalaea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience Maui's amazing ocean environment with the experts at Pacific Whale Foundation! PacWhale Eco-Adventures offers thrilling and fun ocean adventures based on more than 37 years of marine research and sustainable ecotour experience. PacWhale has cruises for every style of adventure, including dolphin and whalewatch ecotours, snorkel trips, sunset cocktail and dinner cruises, holiday cruises and stargazing ecotours. You'll cruise on ultra-stable, eco-friendly vessels in the company of knowledgeable, friendly certified Marine Naturalists. Choose Pacific Whale Foundation and make a difference: all profits support efforts to protect whales, dolphins and the ocean environment.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was our first time to Maui and we really liked this attraction, its one of the best. The Staff was very knowledgeable, courteous and so accommodating to all of us on the tour. They took us over to the Molokini Crater and to another area. We got to see some baby dolphins, all kinds of fish and turtles, it was awesome! They even cooked for us on the boat and the food was fresh and delicious! I will definitely book another trip with them on my next visit to Maui.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My cousin and I had an absolute blast on this trip! We saw so many dolphins! Mamas and babies, so cool! They were swimming right by us and under us so we saw them up close. And then there were so many spinning and dancing and jumping. It was amazing! And you can only see them here. That night I went on Pinterest and saw a photo of spinner dolphins, and I thought, "man! I just saw those guys in person!" We also saw flying fish which was amazing. The guides were so nice and told so many stories and just told us lots of cool info. I would definitely go again! I wish I could post a picture because I got great pictures and I even got some good video with my phone since they were so close!

1  Thank Igemdiva
Reviewed June 5, 2013

As a frequent visitor to Maui, I have had my share of excursions. Pacific Whale Foundation NEVER disappoints! Their staff are marine naturists with degrees in marine biology, oceanography, zoology, and marine engineering. They are accommodating and energetic, very polite and knowledgable. Our tour set sail from Ma'alaea Harbor and went to Molokini first, then went to Lana'i after, so it was an all-day excursion. Here are a few things to remember before taking any boat that travels into open seas:

1.) If you know you get sea-sick, take your Dramamine and sit it the rear of the boat where there is less movement.

2.) The UV index in HI is 11. Sitting on a boat in the ocean will reflect the sun and intensify it. Sunscreen is a NECESSITY, even if you think "oh, I don't burn" because guess what? You will burn. Wear a well-fitting hat because your scalp will burn, too.

3.) a rash guard or rented wetsuit ($10) is a VERY good idea. It extends your snorkeling time by keeping you warmer (water temp is 72 degrees at the snorkel spots) as well as protect you from the sun.

If you remember those 3 things, you should be in good shape. The food and drink service is great, and the whole foundation is very Eco-friendly and earth conscious. I love that part. Please remember to bring a tip ($2-3 per person in your party is good) for the crew. They deserve it!!

I recommend any Pacific Whale Foundation charter over any boat in Hawaiian waters.

2  Thank VerucaSalt76
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The other (good) reviews are spot on. The crew was friendly, professional, and educated us without being preachy. I feared the preachy and soliciting for their cause. They just truly love and care about the fishies.

My one concern was the snorkels weren't new in packaging. I wondered how clean they were but being that we were going to be face down in the ocean it didn't matter much.

Most of the other guests were very nice but there were a few who demanded extra attention from the staff and even cut the line for food. Meh, what can ya do.

The snorkeling was AMAZING! Neither spot was crowded at all. We saw so many fish, and the 2nd location with the turtles was absolutely breathtaking. At the crater there was a school of these black fish with a white pinstripe RIGHT at the boat. I lingered there before getting out of the water and one came inches from my face. Being a city girl, it was definitely a beautiful life experience.

Thank you Pacific Whale Foundation for all of your good work. Oh, and people, they humbly put out a tip cup at the end. TIP THEM!

1  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked a snorkel trip with the Pacific Whale Foundation to Molokini and it was wonderful. We booked the smaller (more expensive) group tour and were not disappointed. Continental breakfast at a local restaurant and only about 30 people on the boat. Two young women as snorkel guides who were personable, knowledgable and fun. The captain (also a woman) got us to the snorkel bay in short order and sent us out to enjoy. After about an hour there, we moved to the back side of the island where she let the more experienced snorkel on the sheer side of the island - 350 feet to the bottom and the bluest water you will ever see. Not always a part of the tour but the water and wind cooperated to allow us a unique experience. The rest of the tour included swiming with the giant green turtles, watching them at another location and seeing dolphins play around the boat. Lunch on the boat was BBQ with drinks. All in all worth every penny.

1  Thank Alysson F