“Dolphin Paradise!”

Whalewatch Sail Deluxe Lahaina
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Maalaea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience Maui's amazing ocean environment with the experts at Pacific Whale Foundation! PacWhale Eco-Adventures offers thrilling and fun ocean adventures based on more than 37 years of marine research and sustainable ecotour experience. PacWhale has cruises for every style of adventure, including dolphin and whalewatch ecotours, snorkel trips, sunset cocktail and dinner cruises, holiday cruises and stargazing ecotours. You'll cruise on ultra-stable, eco-friendly vessels in the company of knowledgeable, friendly certified Marine Naturalists. Choose Pacific Whale Foundation and make a difference: all profits support efforts to protect whales, dolphins and the ocean environment.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I took the Dolphin Watch Raft trip, a 3-hour trip the first one of the morning. Apparently no one wants to get up early while on vacation in Hawaii because there were only 5 of us on the boat (I took the earliest trip of the day). It was great - we went over around Lana'i, which has very dramatic cliffs. What we ended up finding was a huge pod of spotted dolphins (Chris our naturalist estimated 30-40). We stayed with them for about half an hour, I got some great pictures and video. Chris was very knowledgeable about the dolphins and told us things to look for and pointed out different characteristics. Also the price was very reasonable and the money supports the non-profit organization to help protect sea life, so that was good too. I loved it, would do it again, and would definitely recommend it to my friends. It's a good idea bring a rain coat or towel because we did get a bit wet with ocean spray on the way back - good thing they take your picture BEFORE you leave!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,846)

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I looked at every single snorkeling ship that goes out of Maui! I know the Four Winds II and paragon rated quite high! However, I wanted to try Pacific whale foundation as they are not for profit and it appeared they gave more bang for your buck, sort of speak.

I did the snorkeling adventure that went to Molokini crater and also Lanai. It was a WONDERFUL full day! Molokini is "tourist central" while Lanai is unspoiled and has better clarity!

All in all, it is a longer day, two locations, a GREAT staff and food is included! Also, part of the passage fare goes to a good cause (whale assistance and research)!

The crew is terrific and even offer educational information of the fish you are likely to see by marine biologists! Also, the ships they use are larger and stable. The crew is warm and friendly!

So, do not worry as they offer a wonderful product! Better than going to one location! GREAT GREAT GREAT!!

1  Thank traveler4k
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We took two cruises with the Pacific Whale Foundation, Molokini Crater & Turtle Arches with Captain Dough and Lanai Snorkeling & Dolphins watch.
Both were really really great and we were very happy of our time!
We saw many whales even though it wasn't suppose to be the best season anymore, many turtles and wonderful fishes and corals. Explanation from the marine biologists were very interesting and well done, thanks for educating us!

The only thing I have been disappointed with is the 10$ rental fee for a wet suit shirt.. The captain was saying that they have to make people pay for it because not everybody wants one.. true.. except that not everybody want the snorkelling gear (we had our own and so did quite a few people) but we are still paying for it... A little disappointment was also that we didn't see any dolphins on our way to Lanai, we totally understand that nature might not always be on our side but it could have been nice to be offered some kind of discount on another dolphin tour or something..

In general I would still highly recommend to take any tour with the PWF!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We went on the Eco Express to Molokini. The weather was of course great: calm water, sunny skies. I am not a strong swimmer, but I felt very safe with all the equipment available and supervision provided. A great first time snorkelling experience. As a bonus, on our way back we had dolphins swim around our boat. A few even rode the bow! Such a great trip.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Excellent snorkeling trip - crew was friendly and engaging - educational information was an unexpected plus - highly recommeded!