“Snorkling at Molokini crater a must!”

Pacific Whale Foundation
Whale Watching from Ma'alaea Harbor
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Maalaea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cruise with the experts at Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui's top-rated ocean ecotours based on more than 38 years of marine research and sustainable ecotourism experience. PacWhale has cruises for every style of adventure, including whale and dolphin watch ecotours, snorkel trips, sunset cocktail and sunset dinner cruises, holiday cruises, stargazing ecotours, and more. You'll cruise on ultra-stable, eco-friendly vessels with knowledgeable, friendly certified Marine Naturalists. Choose PacWhale Eco-Adventures and make a difference: all profits support research, education and conservation programs to protect marine wildlife and the ocean environment. Cruises depart from Ma'alaea & Lahaina Harbors.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We took the Wild Side Adventure tour it was a small boat with 30 people and three very friendly and knowledgeable staff members, because of the small group size it allows for more flexiblity and more snorkeling time! The first part of our trip was to Molokini. The water was crystal clear and we even saw a pod of spinner dolphins which is a rare sight to see near the crater. The second part of our trip was to turtle town, where I was able to see sea turtles being cleaned by the fishes which is definitely something I will remember for a long time! The only downside is that we missed whale season by two weeks. The trip starts at 630 am and we got back at 1:30pm. Breakfast and lunch were included in the trip and it was well worth the extra money for this tour. I would definitely go again if given the opportunity!

Write a ReviewReviews (9,297)
All reviews
in 201 reviews
"breakfast and lunch"
in 131 reviews

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Over the last 8 years when ever I am in Maui, I book any cruise I take with PWF. I find their vessels to be clean, their staff not only friendly but knowledgeable about the marine life and impacts tourism can play on their environment. I appreciate their concern and respect for the environment of the marine life but also how that carries over into their respect and conservation for our environment as well. Highly worth the trip...regardless of the time of year.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you are intrigued by the open ocean and the life of a once endangered whale population then this type of cruise is perfect. We visited Maui the first of November in 2012 and signed up for one of the whale search cruises out of Lahaina with the Foundation. Although we were a little early for the normal arrival of the humpback whales and they were not gauranteeing sitings ,we were pleasantly surprised to encounter one of the first arrivals. This was a magnificent event as witnessed by the obvious excitement shown by the the biologist guides. The guides make this trip a very fun and informative outing filled with interesting information about whales and the Hawaiian islands not to mention the unbelievable views. The boat is well set up for viewing from all sides and stocked with a wide variety of refreshments for your purchase. This trip was our second time out with the Foundation and will definitely not be our last. We plan to make this a must on every visit to Maui. Every cruise is a different experience. If you go out during the designated whale season the Pacific Whale Foundation will gaurantee a whale siting or you will get a free trip.

1  Thank Walt A
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great cruise, great vessel, great staff, great snorkeling, great price! I'd recommend this exact trip to people with little ones. The staff catered to kids and kids are free with a paying adult. The gear was excellent, the food was great too. We saw spinner dolphins! They even dropped a microphone under the water to listen for their communication once we spotted the dolphins. Before the dive, a staff member gives a delightful presentation of posters of the fish you may see while snorkeling and she was very informative. There is a slide off the back of the ship to slide right into the ocean as well as very easy low depth entering spots on the back. The ship is designed to fit 100+ and they max it out at around 40 so there was ample room. Their desire to protect threatened species is well presented and you don't feel pressured to become a member but they do explain their mission and how you can become a member. If given the chance, we would definitely do this one again! A highlight of our trip! At the end, the kids were each given a poster of a whale. We saw sea turtles too. I could go on and on... Thank you Pacific Whale Foundation!

1  Thank stacy4man
See more reviews
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We did the snorkeling trip called Molokini Eco Express. We went snorkeling at Molokini Crater. The trip was truly fantastic. I had never snorkeled before and really wasn't sure what to expect. We took the morning trip. They said there was usually around 90 people on board, but for this one there was only around 30.

The staff was very friendly, professional, and helpful. There is complimentary juice on the way out to the snorkel site. There is also an educational piece where they explain the type of marine life you will encounter, explain what it looks like, where to expect to see them and some background on the marine life.

When you arrive, you get into your snorkel gear (all completely sanitized) and can jump into the water or walk down into it from the steps off the back of the boat. Noodles are also provided, which I highly recommend - even if you are a great swimmer. It makes the snorkel experience a lot more productive when you get to focus all your time on snorkeling and not swimming. We saw lots of really cool fish, and it was a great experience.

On the way back, lunch was provided. It was actually really good! Also cookies and more beverages. This would be great for couples, singles, families, friends, anyone really. I thought it was very kid-friendly as well. Pacific Whale is a great, responsible foundation. On the way back, we made a slight detour as they spotted some trash floating in the water. They stopped to pick it up to help keep the waters clean.

All in all, I wasn't sure what to expect when I booked this, but I was completely pleasantly surprised. I will totally book this again when I go back to Maui. The price was also completely reasonable.

Tips: Wear lots of sunscreen, wear a shirt when snorkeling (or rent a snorkel shirt), or you'll walk away with a bad burn... The sun is stronger in Maui than other parts of the US. I have to wear a special sunscreen on my face and I forgot it's not waterproof, so I actually walked away with a burn in the shape of my snorkel mask. :)

2  Thank mescooby422