“A last meal at the Waterfront”
Review of Waterfront Restaurant - CLOSED

Waterfront Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 30
Transit: Maui Bus drop off and pick-up within 50 feet of entrance.
“A last meal at the Waterfront”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had our usual tasty dinner on Tuesday - then opened the newspaper a few days later to find that the Waterfront had closed. Thank you, Waterfront, for some great meals over the years. The "out of the way" location was just right for meeting family when we were staying in Kaanapali and the family was in Kula.

1 Thank JeanneHY

Maui, Hawaii
“table side Caesar salad...”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

but alas...the word came out on the coconut wireless last night that they have shuttered their doors and lovely harbour view windows at their new location...the Smith family well be missed...

1 Thank mauimann
Waihee, Hawaii, United States
“Waterfront is Closing”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The owners of the Waterfront just posted on Facebook they are closing. Very sad for those of us who were regulars at the old Waterfront for years. Unfortunately the food quality seemed to have declined since moving to their new location.

• Visited December 2012
Huntington Beach, California
“Perfect place for dinner”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel. You never know what you are getting under those circumstances, but hats off to the Grand Wailea for pointing us in their direction.

The place is a bit out of the way but that is one of its charms. It has a fantastic view of the Wailea Coast from its perch above the harbor at Wailuku. The service there is both very friendly and knowledgeable. The starters were all excellent. I thoroughly recommend the Cesar's Salad (hand made at the table). Possible the best I have been served. The pork spring rolls were moist and tasty, whilst the French Onion soup was the best on the island - a great flaky pastry with ample cheese in a well balance savory broth.

We ate at several fish restaurants over the week, however the quality of the main course dishes served here was exceptional. My seafood curry was the best I had eaten it a long while, flavorful, and spicy with crisp vegetables. The Monchong fish my wife had was divine, simply prepared on a delightful salad. The Opakapaka fish eaten by my friends was describe as sublime. The Maalaea Waterfront has an extensive wine list to accommodate every taste. I recommend some of their Old Vine Zinfandels or for a not very expensive, drinkable Merlot, try the H3.

Kihei, Hawaii
“Service sucks!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Me and my friend were seated immediately as we get to the hostess stand. Restaurant was not busy. We were offered the menu and water and was told that our server will come shortly. We were chatting and noticed that no server has approached our table yet. We were waiting for the server about 20mins but no one even attempted to come. We were watching the servers passing by us and we're looking at other customers being served. There were only about 5 tables occupied and quite handful servers walking around. We waited 5 more minutes but no one showed up. We decided to walk away and left the restaurant. We were so dissappointed. We felt discriminated as we're the only Asian customers in that restaurant. We moved to the other restaurant across them which we were welcomed and serviced excellently. As we were seated at the Italian Artisan Restaurant, the Waterfront Restaurant Manager came and handed us his business card offering us a complimentary dinner for 2 as an apology. The gesture was nice but the apology wasn't sincere. He said that he apologized for the miscommunication but he said "You should have said something and asked for the server". That just added to the insult! We're not just discriminated but we felt insulted as well. Totally turned off. I work at the hospitality industry in the island and with this experience, i can gurantee them that I will NOT recommend this restaurant to clients, family, or friends.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank LittleFountain
Rick S, Owner at Waterfront Restaurant, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I am very sorry that this happened to you. I assure you that it had absolutely nothing to do with your being Asian customers. It is an unfortunate quirk in the way the Waterfront Restaurant has done its seating for 23 years. We don’t use sections as we find that waiters get more guests than they can give good service to. We assign every table to a waiter that has time and is ready to go. Once in a great while as I said to you in the restaurant next door a “Miscommunication” occurs and a table is not assigned to a server. This does not happen very often but unfortunately it happened to you. For this I sincerely apologize. My comment regarding why you didn’t say something to someone was sincere. If we would have been made aware by you in the restaurant that there must be a problem we would have addressed it immediately and compensated you for your wait and our mistake. I did not know of the problem until after you left. That is when I came by to offer you a free dinner for two on us and said that I was very sorry that it happened and I meant it sincerely. I was just a little confused why you didn’t say something to someone while seated at your table. Please take us up on our invitation for dinner for two and you will see why we have won the Maui News Award for best Service on Maui 7 times.

Sincerely, Gary Smith