“Great place for our last meal on Maui”
Review of Waterfront Restaurant - CLOSED

Waterfront Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 30
Transit: Maui Bus drop off and pick-up within 50 feet of entrance.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went to the Waterfront for lunch before our visit to the aquarium on our last day in Maui. We had a very good meal and the server was friendly and helpful. The view of the harbor and the breeze blowing through the restaurant will serve as happy memories for many years to come.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

First off, the restaurant is hard to find at nite & of course has no special view in the darkness.

Interior looks like a notch up from an Applebees...nice French doors open to an outside patio; too bad the nite we were there it was too chilly to sit out there.

Waiter was a tad pushy & snooty for this establishment. I had high hopes for this place since they served monchongo which I love & it's hard to find it on menus. It was just so-so (although the leftovers tasted a bit better the next day), The folks at the table beside ours told us the caesar salad was the best ever...we weren't going to order it; but, reconsidered...found it pretty average, even though it's made table-side.

All-in-all, not a place I would seek out again...absolutely no wow-factor and just as expensive as more high-end restaurants that actually have a great view...oh, well.

1  Thank gypsybaker
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This Ma'alaea restaurant has been around for many years, but now is in a larger, more convenient, and beautifully decorated location. The best part of this restaurant is that they offer a broader selection of entree's such as lamb, and pork, plus many varieties of beef & seafood. Service is impeccable, the sauces spectacular, and although speedy, this restaurant is much better priced than other $$$$ restaurants, particularly given the taste, variety, and service. Our server, Michael, was excellent. Note: Although the bottled wine selection is excellent, several of the "by the glass" offerings were mediocre, although certainly acceptable. This will certainly be a " must visit" stop in any future visits to Maui.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Sitting here enjoying the magnificent view of Maalaea harbor, I found myself at a table dwarfed by the extra-large menu place before me. Being large both in size and selection of menu items available, I figured I would be sure to find something here to please my palate. My dh was excited to discover Caesar salads being prepared tableside at the Waterfront though it requires that two or more people order to enjoy this service display so he missed out on that since salads don't love me. His behind the kitchen Caesar was mild in flavor and contained grated parmesan. He chose the short ribs and though he polished his plate out of sheer hunger he wasn't thrilled about them and rated them a 2.5/of 5. I opted for the surf and turf/Mahi and was disappointed by both the incorrect temperature serving of my Fillet and by the very off fishy taste of the Mahimahi. Apart from that the sauce and prep on it was yummy and the mashed potatoes were the best thing on my plate. Sadly things don't improve much from there. Our server and neither the hostess failed to promptly greet my mother who joined us for dinner and my mother was rather put off by this. My dh had to get up himself to fetch her a menu. At last there was redemption when her Opaka arrived scrumptiously delicate and moist. We ordered the mango upside down pie with praline crust which was the primary item from the menu online and still on printed table side menu to have caught my eye. To my dismay it had been discontinued so we settled for the apple pie replacement. This pie was full of ripe and well done apples though the crust left me wanting to throw it back in the oven. The specialty Mac nuts didn't really add that much in flavor or crunch to the pie. Our favorite thing about the experience, ..and that's not saying accolades.. was the finely tender brioche appetizer and the perfectly served strawberry-mango daiquiri. Points given for the bartender and a kind server’s attendant clearing our plates that was the most showing of genuine care we received in his two sentences of conversation with us. "How are you doing this evening" “did you enjoy your dessert?" he said and that was all it took to make us feel like someone actually cared. Though our server went thru the general motions we overheard other tables with much more conversant and pleasant service. Best thing is she was kind enough to offer ahead of time to remove the unappealing item from our bill and offered complementary coffee when the espresso I requested was unavailable due to 'machine not getting turned on in time for dinner service'. Other points withheld were for the lack of viewing pleasure in the open style kitchen depicting sloppy attired cooks and general lack of order observable, bus stations mid-dining room. I did not care for the presentation of the bread loaf on a board. This causes quite a table mess with the requirement that the guest should cut the whole thing themselves. You should also realize that being an open air restaurant naturally puts hot food at a cold air disadvantage and a bread basket would be best suited. The question remains. Would I return? Probably. For a fresh fish entree, wonderful ambiance and some quality cocktails I would give the Waterfront another chance.. If the hostess can get off the phone long enough to greet and seat us. They do tend to get busy.

1  Thank MidnightButterflyIJC
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Just don't take my seat at the bar.... I'm sure this will start to fill up soon as people catch on. I'm hoping they add the fried oysters to the happy hour menu.... In fact a few more exciting things on the Happy Hour menu would be nice. I think the restaurant looks excellent. I did flip through the regular dinner menu a bit and believe the menu needs to be a little more slick looking... The plastic covered sheets felt a little cheap, BUT my complaints are minor in comparison to what they've accomplished so far. It is definitely a gigantic improvement over the previous Waterfront restaurant. I'll be at the bar on sunday enjoying a draft beer....