“A 1/2 day must do.”

Maui Boat Trips
Ranked #7 of 11 things to do in Maalaea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our Ocean Freedom and Reef Explorer are 40' jet boats. This means our boats have no propellers and cruise at 25-27 knots, providing less travel time and more time on site. Snorkel Maui's underwater paradise exploring Olowalu, Coral Gardens, Molokini & Turtle Town. These are must see spots off the coast, which will provide for an unforgettable adventure for all ages.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed February 16, 2017

GREAT snorkeling and whale watching trips. Snorkling out at Moliniki is incredible and if your lucky enough to have a whale come up to the boat...wow.

Water, sunning, swimming and lunch. Nice day early morning departure.

Date of experience: August 2016
"snorkel tour"
"great snorkel"
"humpback whales"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"

Reviewed January 26, 2017

We hired out this boat to spread our sister's ashes. Captain CJ and his crew were so accommodating. Although the sea was very choppy, he found a calm patch for us to proceed with our memorial. We saw whales and dolphins and watching the sunset was superb! The cruise provided yummy food and plenty of drinks for all. Extremely friendly service and I highly recommend "Leilani" for your cruises.

1  Thank 536kyleer
Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

We went on this tour and spent 4.5 of the 6 hours driving around before we stopped to snorkel. We weren't able to go to turtle town because of the swell and visibility, which was a huge disappointment for me. I wanted to end my tour at that point. The coral reef as ok but wasn't as great as I imagined. We stopped A LOT to whale watch, which isn't what I signed up for. Yes, it's cool but stopping every 5-10 minutes because there a while breached was getting ridiculous. The free bar was nice but they should really put a limit on the number of drinks per person. They say it's endless and they do mean endless. The staff was very nice and all but I would suggest spending a little more money and going on the Pride of Maui website to book their tour, or booking a different tour.

2  Thank Delcie W
Reviewed January 10, 2017

My husband and I went on the Leilani yesterday (1/9/17) for some adventure! We had never been to Molokini before and as Maui locals, we figured it was about time.

The crew (Captain CJ, Tanya, and Carlos) were the best! They were so witty and charismatic. They had awesome chemistry with each other, and over the course of the trip, built great rapport with the passengers. (By the end of the trip, the crew basically knew us by name!)

The clarity of the water was stunning! I mean, it looked like we were on a lake, or the water was actually clear resin! So, even though we didn't leave the boat we saw so many cool sea creatures. Lots of fish, a few dolphins, and out in the distance there were whales! My husband and I even saw a honu!

I was terribly seasick while we were out at Molokini. (Yes, I took a Dramamine before the trip!) I was so touched by how much everyone cared about me. Other passengers were asking if I was all right and giving me advice on what I could do to feel better. Carlos (crewmember) even put his Seaband on my wrist! (Which REALLY helped. Carlos, you practically saved my life!)

It felt like I learned a lot on the trip. Captain CJ talked about Molokini being a Marine Life Preserve, about being reef safe, and about some of the marine life we saw. Aside from my seasickness, which wasn't anyone's fault, I had the time of my life. I would definitely recommend this tour to others.

2  Thank sparkleapple
See more reviews
Reviewed January 10, 2017

We joined captain CJ and crew on the Lelaini for the "Best day on Maui" tour. Starting at 8 am, we joined them at slip 68 on the harbor in Maalaea. We left harbor for Molokini and breakfast fruit/breads, juice and coffee were provided. We watched whales as we travelled out to the crater.

We snorkeled the crater for a bit, but honestly, looks like the area has been over worn and poorly effected by the pressure of tourists over the years. The crew was in the water with us and offered some suggestions.

We then set off for West Maui. We ate lunch on the way, including burgers, dogs, chicken and veggie burgers. We arrived to the Olowalu area, and stopped over a "turtle reef". We snorkeled for some time, and the reef here was 100 times better, more lively and more to see, compared to the crater. The day was beautiful and the water was nearly still.

Following, we headed back to harbor, but did so indirectly as we chased a few whale spottings/breaches to get a closer look.

We arrived back to harbor at 2 pm, as scheduled.

Great day, can't say enough about the service (excellent), the drinks/beverages (plentiful), food (tasty and plentiful) and the activities.

Too boot, we found in our online research, this was one of the cheaper tours available!

Highly recommend