Terrace Houses Sirince
Priceline
Sihirbazin Evi(Sirince)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfig housewonderful hoststurkeyown homewashing machinesmall villagedelicious breakfastspent two nightsfruit winescharlotteomeromarcottageephesustownhillistanbul
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I found this hotel through a UK website that I subscribe to, and immediately liked the look of the place - the individual stone cottages that had been converted looked very unusual - yet with plenty of hot water and mod cons (shabby chic-style)- and I liked the idea of it being a village on a hillside.
It was only afterwards that I realised how close Sirince is to Ephesus, Izmir and also some beach locations. So it was the perfect choice to go to. I only realised afterwards that it is popular and well visited, as it is so unspoilt and beautiful.
I booked online and was called by Omar the day before my arrival (as I was in Turkey with a local number). It was relatively easy getting to the village from Izmir airport (taxi then 2 dolmus ie local minibus) but the hotel is also able to organise transfers, which might be more convenient for most non Turkish language speakers or those wanting a more comfortable ride)

The walk up the hill to the hotel is the only real downside I could see: if one had an elderly guest or small children or tons of luggage the stairs/slope might be a problem - but the whole village is steep in that respect, so comfy shoes and travelling light are needed!
Aside from that, I could not fault the hotel - the setting is divine, with the most beautiful view from its tranquil terrace. It is picture postcard Mediterranean scenery - olive groves, fruit trees, stone cottages, sweeping views. The fact it is away from the main touristy drag is a bonus too. The welcome we received was quite outstanding - Omer is an excellent host and his assistant, Aysel, is the sweetest, kindest lady, not to mention an excellent cook!
Nothing was too much trouble for either of them: it felt like we were personal guests. Omer's hospitality, graciousness (ad English) is faultless. I had some tips from other friends who had been tot he area before and he 'fixed' it for me to do all of them and more!
The cottages themselves are tranquil and beautifully restored. Fig House was advertised as being for 2-4 people - but these are both double beds and one of the beds is actually on the landing, so I'd not really consider if for 2 couples, but for a family it would be good. We were two people and it was perfect.

The bathroom is very cool, the kitchen functional (we ate out mostly though) but tea and filter coffee are provided which was excellent! The sitting area outside it gorgeous. The house is quite cool - so in winter I'd imagine a bit chilly - in summer it was nice to escape from the heat and chill outside. Im not sure if there would be insects in deeper summer.

The best things about staying at the Terrace Houses, and here in Sirince, is the hospitality of everyone we met in the village, and also the fact one can escape from the tourist groups of Ephesus. Selcuk is pleasant - with an amazing basiclia (St John's) and mosque (Isabey) and Ephesus is stunning. But it was with real pleasure that we would get on the little minibus at the end of the sightseeing (we knew all the drivers by the end of the stay!) and trundle up to Sirince. It felt like home.
I dont want it to get spoilt, but if your idea of a holiday is peace, quiet, no music, loud bars or clubs, fantastic food, charming people, (warm hospitality not just in the Terrace hotel but everywhere) and early nights: this is the place for you. The whole region is delightful for families and children, but even as a single person. it isn't cheap to stay at the Terace Evler, but I would definitely go back. I have already recommended it to two people, you just could not find a more welcoming host and setting.

Room Tip: clarify if you are a couple/family/alone/friends: you may not want to share a bed or have people walking past you or the bathroom; if you have an elderly visitor, then I'd advise checking they would be okay walking on cobbles and up stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank traveller2007
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We visited Sirince during our first trip to Turkey, after a whirlwind tour of Istanbul. It was exactly what we wanted: a quiet, unspoiled village, with delicious food and friendly people. Don't stay in Selcuk! It has none of the beauty or charm of Sirince.

We stayed in Grapevine House, which is perched near the top of the village. It has beautiful views from the master bedroom, a garden, and a lawn. Omer, Charlotte, and Aysel were exceptionally generous hosts during our stay, and with their help, we were able to explore the village and the region in ways that not even the best guidebooks would have allowed.

Everyday began with a marvelous breakfast on a terrace overlooking the valley, courtesy of Aysel. We went for walks in the hills, explored smaller ruined cities as well as larger ones, talked to local artisans about their crafts, and ate fish at a tiny restaurant on the shores of the Aegean. Omer was an impeccable guide and a wonderful companion on a few of these excursions. I can't emphasize enough how good it was to be free to discover rural Turkey on our own and to benefit from the experience of our impeccable, well-informed host.

We hope that our next trip to Turkey will involve an even longer stay at the Terrace Houses.

Sean K and Abby H

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean K
Reviewed May 26, 2012

In May 2012, we spent 3 wonderful nights in the Grapevine House (one of three Terrace Houses in Sirince owned by Omer and his wife Charlotte). The house is set high in the hills of a lovely town worlds (but only about 15 minutes) away from the tours passing through Ephesus each day. Omer met us when we arrived in the town and led us up the winding roads to the house and showed us the house and its gardens. It is an exquisitely updated stone farmhouse with simple and artistic features. The house has several bedrooms, a huge bathroom and a separate sitting room. It is perfect for small families or groups of close friends. Omer is a wonderful host and is proud of his town and the work he has done on his Terrace Houses. He took us on a tour of Sirince introducing us to merchants selling local foods and crafts and showed us the sites and paths in this ancient community. We ate delicious and elegant meals prepared with fresh local foods on the Terrace Houses' outdoor garden overlooking the town. We woke to sounds of birds and animals all around and lingered on the Grapevine House's own private terraces surrounded by the sites of Sirince. Omer is engaging and wonderfully helpful. Each morning, he shared ideas for nearby sites to see and drew us detailed maps that got us to places that we would never have found without his expert guidance. All in all, it was a wonderful experience - beautiful house, lovely town and warm and friendly people - in a country we grew to love during our first trip to Turkey.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bigelow4
Reviewed May 21, 2012

a lovely spot lookıng out over the town and valley, Omer the host ıs a wealth of ınfo and a gracıous host. the food ıs great there too, and the breakfast the best I've had ın Turkey!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Every traveler has known at one time or another the pilgrim’s delight at setting down one’s burden, and resting the weary bones in the warmth that only comes from the marriage of a real hearth and real hospitality. Such havens; however, are rare as their comfort is welcome, and it is for this reason that I would like to suggest that should you ever find your steps wandering as far as the hillside village of Şırıncı, do not miss the chance to spend some time at The Grapevine House.

There in the winter you will find a wood fire in the hearth to take the chill out of an early evening, and in summer a grape arbor to gentle the heat of the sun. Best of all, these simple pleasures are made doubly enjoyable by the courtesy of Charlotte and Emre Şamlı; kind, gracious, thoughtful hosts who thoroughly enjoy the art of living.

Add to these fundamental joys the unique aesthetic of a tastefully restored stone house, as well as the welcome creature comforts of plentiful hot water, comfortable beds, and climate control, and you’ve got the makings of a fine, fine stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo