“very hospitable people, in a basic B&B”
Review of B&B Iris

B&B Iris
Ranked #1 of 8 Alaverdi B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Summary - very hospitable but slightly basic B&B.
Note: this is only the 2nd B&B I have stayed in, so I am not sure if I am using the right standard to judge the facilities. I know it is very popular among backpackers.
pos - very hospitable, very nice people. I liked enjoyed staying with them.
pos - excellent breakfast, excellent home cooked dinner.
neg - bathroom v basic. have to walk through shower to get to toilet. When you shower, the whole bathroom is wet.
neg - ratio of beds to baths seems high (downstairs 8:1), especially as the shower, toilet and sink are all together and cannot be used separately. I am not sure what is normal here. In any case I was the only guest at the time (winter) so it didn't cause me problems.
neg - they were doing some renovation during off-season so the downstairs dorm where I stayed was not so well organized. Rooms in the upstairs dorm are nicer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the upstairs dorm are nicer.
2  Thank m c
There are newer reviews for B&B Iris

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed in Alaverdi for 2 nights in Nov and had a great time there.
Irina and Stephan are very nice and friendly hosts, fluent in English and extremely helpful. They help planning and advised on taking public transport around.
With their help, I visited Sanahin, Haghpat, Odzun, Akhtala and to the Georgian border all by public transport.

The environment and facilities are great. Comfortable beds, warm rooms and nice hot shower. And their homemade food is truly wonderful, do join the dinner if you stay!!

One of the best B&B I’ve ever visited, recommend for anyone going to Alaverdi.

Thank you Irina and Stephan! I wish I could stay longer!

Nok, from Hong Kong

2  Thank NokAY
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Irina and Stephan are excellent hosts. I joined them for dinner and food was awesome.

The location of their hostel is great. Both UNESCO World Heritage sites of Sanahin and Haghpat as well as Achtala, a former monastery on a cliff, are within easy reach. Irina can advise on going there by cheap public transport or taxi.

Rooms are very comfortable. There's a hot shower and heating, beds are good and rooms are clean. Furthermore, the price is reasonable. I can really recommend this hostel.

Jop, a backpacker from Holland

2  Thank JP_Weterings
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent one night at this nice homestay in Alaverdi! They are a friendly family, both Irina and Stepan speak good English. Irina gave us a very good advice to go to Yerevan and travel around from there as there are a lot of buses departing from there. We are happy for taking this advice and changing our travel plans a bit.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

One of our best experiences in Armenia was staying at Irena's place. We had a spacious room on the upperfloor. The terrace had a great view and I liked the sound of the water from the river. When you are at Irena's place you have to stay for dinner. She's a real good cook and makes the best cakes. Her husband (Stepan) his khoravats is wonderful as well! We stayed 2 nights and were really sad to leave. I would recommend everyone who wants to go to the Debet Canyon to stay in B&B Iris. Once you stayed there you really want to go back!

Thank you Irena and Stepan!

Matthias

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2012

In Irina's place named Iris B&B we had an extremely comfortable and relaxing time. Irina spoiled us with fantastic and diverse Armenian dishes, well kept rooms, great living room area and the great location, her husband Stephan kept our glasses filled every evening with vodka and wine. They are always ready to help you with any question or problem you might have - Irina can give helpful advices for all your daytrips and public transport. We want to thank you, Irina and Stephan, for everything and the wonderful time we had. Martin and Nora

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I  are Tourist guide and we stayed here while in Allaverdi.
We did a good decision because we wanted to go directly to Georgia.
We had the pleasure of staying at the most respectful home in Alaverdi.Irina & her husband Stephan are wonderful people who ensure that everything is perfect and you are very comfortable during your stay.The home is lavishly decorated and you can try the most  Delicious home food and cakes in armenia.they also serve home made wine and apricot vodka for dinner.
if you want to feel you are at home and get useful information from tourist who are coming from Georgia or already visit Armenia.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alaverdi
Tufenkian Avan Dzoraget Hotel
#1 of 7 in Odzun
Haghpat Hotel
Haghpat Hotel
#1 of 3 in Haghpat

Been to B&B Iris? Share your experiences!