“Great Skiing”
Review of Karakol Ski Base

Reviewed May 16, 2014

The resort is close to the city, about a 20-30 minute ride depending on road conditions. There are four ski lifts in really nice condition and a small lodge to grab lunch or a beer midday. They offer full and half day fares. There are two places to rent equipment on the mountain. Renting in town is cheaper especially if you go through some of the local tour companies as they'll also arrange transportation for you. If you do rent on the mountain, make sure you go the the hotel next to the cafe for your rentals as they offer a cheaper rate. The slopes offer opportunities for beginners amongst the lower slopes and free skiing and some tree skiing at the top for the more experienced.
A full day with rentals should run you about $25-$30 depending on where you get your equipment. Make sure you make arrangements with your driver for him to stay on the mountain or return around 4 because you'll end up paying a ridiculous amount if you hire a driver on the mountain at the end of the day.

1  Thank Megan M

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Close to town and hiring at the field was no problem. The place was excellent for those learning and not that experienced but the places there for those looking for greater challengers were also very good. Good cafe for coffee and other food and lifts were good. Views were great on a clear day.

1  Thank Nick W
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Great base for skiing, with a worst administration.

We were beaten down by security guys for making barbecue in a wrong place, that was our bad but it should not cost broken nose and spoiled vacation. "Funny" thing that this bouncers were drunk and we did not get our fuel yet.

Worse experience ever. Most frustrated that administration were helpless in conflict settlement but just made us feel even more guilty. They gave us attitude that they are not interested in a single client cause they are "big 'n fat".

There is no desire to come back, even though it is one of the most beautiful places on the Earth.

I wish there was another skiing base in Karakol to make good competition to make learn administration respect their clients.

7  Thank Hawk E
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Four lifts. Pretty good vertical drop. Some tree skiing. Conditions have been good the few times I have been there. Grooming good. Trails could be marked a lot better. Rental skis have been very good. (I got the newer skis.)

2  Thank fornaio
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was skiing in Karakol ski base already from 2000, the S-E side of the mountains is perfect for freeriding, we could also ride in the forest. At this time, was only one T-bar lift in very bad shape. The rope was falling down all the time and definitely dangerous. Now you will find 4 chairlifts. After my first ski with these chairlifts, I was shocking how they are dangerous. I feel on the first that the pressure on towers were to high, the metal was screaming, on the second, a part of the splice was on my head. The failure was obvious. After this day, I never seat again on these chairlifts.

1  Thank Changgulu