“BEST ADRENALINE RUSH EVER!!!”

Canadian Rafting Adventures
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Longview
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: At C.R.A we operate multi-day rafting expeditions in some of the most pristine wilderness that Western Canada has to offer. Our tours range from 6-10 days and are all fully inclusive.
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Wow is all I have to say... No I have a lot more to say then just wow! I've always wanted to try White Water Rafting and I finally got my chance too and I will most likely be doing it again in the future!

For the most part getting to the place was really easy other then having to look out for this "Canadian Flag" which was really tiny btw haha... Other then that it's a real easy drive from Calgary. Once we got there we were greeted by Ben, Dave and Julie our guides for the day. They were very down to earth individuals and made my experience that much more exciting!

The great thing about Wakpa Wilderness Adventures is that its a tight knit group; I believe they are a privately owned company or at least it felt that way. What made it such a great time was the fact that it was a small sized group which made it a lot more personal experience; also the area where we rafted was completely private and cut off from everything else which made it great for enjoying nature and an escape from everyday life.

Once all the greetings were out of the way Julie had a table setup with coffee and biscottis for those who didn't eat anything for breakfast I was one of them lol... After we had our little snack it was time for Ben; the one guide to go over some of the information about rafting for us newbies who have never done it before again I was one of them lol... He was very knowledgeable and funny at the same time joking about how it was still early in the season and he needed his checklist to make sure he didn't forget anything. Once he was done with his shpiel we then got into our wet suits and gear. After everyone was in their gear Dave; the other guide had us all come back and stand around the raft as he explained some more things about what we were about to experience in the water.

The last thing we did before we headed into the water was to do some dry rafting on land to test how to paddle and how to handle situations that may arise over the course of our journey. Finally it was time to get into the water! Thanks to Ben and Dave's excellent knowledge of white water rafting I felt comfortable hitting the water and seeing how I performed. We had the option of trying a class 4 rapid right off the hop or avoiding it because we were new. There were 11 of us in total and we all wanted to do the full experience and wanted to do the class 4 rapid! The entire journey down the river was great, Ben was my guide and he had tons of great stories to tell us to keep us entertained, and when he needed to do his job he perfectly executed his commands to us.

Once we got about half way down the river we stopped and pulled over for lunch where Julie had soup and buns prepared for us which was a great treat after working so hard and getting soaked with icy cold water! After lunch we headed on to the second half of our journey. About three quarters of the way we stopped and pulled over to the side and were given the option to see what it's like if we were to fall out of the boat. I was extremely excited for this part because up until this point no one had fallen out of the boat and I wanted to test my abilities against the rapids to see if I had been thrown out of the boat if I would be able to handle it. So I jumped into the icy cold water and did as I was told got on my back at first put my feet up then swam as hard as I could to the shore. Both Ben and Dave had safety ropes ready for us in case we needed it. I felt perfectly safe knowing that they were there in the event that I was unable to make it on my own strength alone; so it made me feel good to know that I was able to do it without their assistance.

Once we had all finished experiencing what it would be like to fall in the water we continued on to the final part of our journey. The final stage was to hull our raft on wheels up a hill to the van. Back at camp Julie prepared us elk burgers which tasted amazing! I had never tried elk before but now I'm definitely a fan thanks guys :P!

As I mentioned earlier these guys are very down to earth people, after I had finished my burger I decided to grab my hacky sack and start playing. Ben came over to me and told me how him and his friends use to play hacky sack all the time and him and I started to play. Eventually Dave and Julie both joined in and at one point we had 7 of the 11 people plus our 3 guides all playing hacky sack!

All I can say is this was one of the greatest adventures of my life! Never have I felt such an adrenaline rush and now that I have it makes me want more! So I highly recommend for anyone who has never white water rafted and those who have that live in the Calgary area to try it with the people at Wakpa Wilderness Adventures if you want to have a great experience in and out of the water. The entire day was just perfect I couldn't of asked for a better time! Thank you again Ben, Dave and Julie for making my first white water rafting experience a memorable one that I will never forget, Cheers!

2  Thank DuDeK11

Reviewed February 2, 2011

An authentic experience from beginning to end. Amazing rafting through beautiful scenery with professional and easy going guides. For anyone looking for something more than the cookie cutter rafting experience, Wakpa is a definite must.

Camping out is highly recommended, it's nice to get to relax with the guides and hear their colorful stories and adds another level of connection to the whole experience.

2  Thank JGFletch
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I had a great day of rafting with Wapka in early June. There was lots of white-water and the river was running really well. We only had to paddle to go through the rapids, which was a nice change from the grueling paddling I've had to do on slower rivers. Dave and Ben are terrific guides, personable and fun but all business when it comes to safety, which I really found reassuring throughout the day. Julie provided us with some much appreciated hot soup at the lunch stop, and the burger dinner back at camp at the end of the day was delicious. All in all a terrific experience with lots of white water in a beautiful setting. I highly recommend it if you're looking for an exciting day and a fabulous rafting experience.

1  Thank JoAnne-Fletcher
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We booked this White Water Rafting trip as one more thing to cross off my "Bucket List". Although a bit off the beaten track, the directions were so exact that we had no problems at all in finding it. The team was very professional in going over the rules and safety guidelines. We were given a brief rafting trial in a bit of calmer water to make sure we were all ready for the real thing.

Ben was an excellent oarsman, not only did he maneuver us through the rapids with skill, he also kept us entertained with stories and laughter. The rescue boat demonstrated their skill at rescuing my husband as he was thrown from the raft and was caught in a swirl. In the brief time it took the rest of us to bring our raft back from the verge of flipping, Ed was sitting in the rescue boat waving to us.

The lunch at mid point was hot and nourishing soup and buns with tea and granola bars. At the end of our 22 Km journey, we were picked up by their bus and taken back to base camp, where we warmed ourselves in the sauna while the supper was cooking - homemade burgers with homemade salads - yummy!

Had time allowed, and knowing what we know now, we would have brought camping gear and spent the night. The beauty and tranquility were hard to say goodbye to. We have already been telling friends that they must come with us next season!! Although this was my first rafting trip, my husband has been on numerous trips on numerous rivers. He considers the Highwood River the best!

2  Thank PydaGilmar