“We were blown away”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
London, United Kingdom
“We were blown away”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I hesitate as I write this review because we kind of want to keep this for us. That however would be selfish. We went with our two small boys in March and had a wonderful time. We loved the remoteness of the resort, the stunning location and the laid back elegance. The villas are very spacious and comfortable. I loved travelling around by bike and our 3 year old loved the Kids Club. The staff are delightful, impeccable service without stiff formality.

For us this is a winner and we will definitely go back. This is up there with one of the best places that we have ever stayed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AKUK09
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear AKUK09

Thank you for your great review about your stay in March this year. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the stay and that the team here were able meet your expectations. The resort does offer great opportunities for both couples and families with a perfect ambience to unwind in our secluded bay here. Thank you for your kind mention of our hosts.

Should you plan your return visit any time soon, please do reach out to me in order for me to assist with any arrangements prior to your arrival. The team and I look forward to welcoming in you back here.

axel@sixsenses.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in a staggering location in a lovely country – albeit you will not see much of Oman whilst staying there, apart from the ‘Lunar landscape’ that surrounds it. Zighy Bay is completely isolated with access only via 4 wheel drive in a very remote part of northern Oman. Although there is a small village adjoining the hotel that is it. So if you are after quiet discrete excellence then this is the place. If you want something more lively or access to shopping then it is not.
Of course this type of low key charm does not come cheap; so if you do come, don’t look at prices. Just close your eyes, sit back and enjoy…and worry about the bill when you get home.
This is my first Six Senses experience and they just ‘get it’. The service was immaculate; all provided by Thais, Indians and Sri Lankans. From the butler serving your room to the bar man everybody is charm personified. nothing is too much trouble.
We had a beach view villa with a pool, and so made no use of the shared beach or pool, but would have been quite happy there. There were actually small jellyfish in the sea during our visit so did not venture much into the sea.
Food is delicious, although with a variety of different places to eat it was a bit complicated to work out what was open when! But the Sense on the Edge restaurant is a truly unique experience.
A small highlight was watching Sleepless in Seatle on the beach (on a small erected screen), under the stars, lying on sun beds with headphones and pop corn!! who needs 24 hour in room movies!
I have only a few negatives and/or warnings. We had been told to make all our reservations in advance, which is irritating when you have never been before, so you have no idea what you are booking. Fortunately it was not busy and we ended up changing them all completely, when we actually saw the different offers. But it does flag up that if you are there in a busy time these places do get full. It also does annoy me that at these absolute top prices I have to ‘compete’ for restaurant bookings. That is just not the way I want to be on a relaxed (and expensive) holiday; it brings back all the competitive stress of our city life! Ditto the spa, where again told all bookings in advance (again did not prove necessary), but I really want to make these decisions when I get there!
The hotel does have a second seawater pool and whole activity zone (with a teenagers club) which implies to me that during the peak holiday periods it is considerably busier and I assume adds pressure to the restaurant and spa.
Finally why make the spa (which is one of the key offerings) so internal and dark? We do internal and dark spas in our cities! Here you have views, blue skies, setting suns, palm trees, goats….if I am out in these locations that is what I want to look over when I am relaxing.
But overall this is an exceptional experience; once the bank balance is restored we will be back.

Room Tip: if you can afford it the beach view villas (with pool) really make for a fantastic experience
1 Thank SimonT962
Dear SimonT962

Please allow me to thank you for your kind review of your stay last month here at Six Senses Zighy Bay. I am glad that you enjoyed the philosophy and ambience of the resort. The location does indeed offer a great opportunity to escape and unwind.
Your kind comments about the hosts of the resort as well as the culinary team will certainly be shared accordingly.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding the availability of our restaurants and experiences. As you were traveling in a busy month, we always do recommend to book experiences such as spa treatments or dinners at Sense on Edge in advance as both have limited availability. I am glad that you managed to experience both. I have also noted your feedback about the spa and will certainly look into the points highlighted. The general design is in line with the architecture of the resort, but we will certainly look into improving the actual lighting there. Thank you for pointing this out.

I stand at your disposal for anything further. Please do not hesitate to contact me if needed.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Visited for 2 nights over a weekend in March to celebrate our first anniversary. Drove from Dubai (about 2hrs 45mins in total) with a fantastic climax to the journey arriving at the resort. The road suddenly 'ends' as you come out of the Oman side of Dibba and you drive on a makeshift road through what feel like the Wadi before reaching the arrivals lodge. We were told a 4x4 would not be available to take us up for 30 minutes so elected to sign the form taking responsibility to drive up ourselves! The drive is steep, so make sure your brakes are in good condition before doing it but the road was not too bad. Views were fantastic as you reach the peak and see the resort in the valley below.
On arrival the room was not ready until the advertised check in time so we had lunch in the bar, which was tapas, and excellent quality (as was all the food we had during our stay).
Once we arrived in the room we were very impressed. We have stayed in a few of these 'private pool' style rooms in the Maldives and Banyan Tree in UAE. This did not disappoint one bit. We had the 'standard' room but it was more than adequate and bigger than I was expecting. The pool was the perfect temperature.
Everything in the room worked and given that there were so many light switches, fans e.t.c. there is always that annoyance when something that is essential is not working but it seemed as though everything was checked to ensure full working order for each guest.
Service could not be faulted and was impeccable without a single slip up during the 2 days.
We were told the resort was full it felt very private and not at all crowded, even by the main pool and beach area.
Yes it is pricey but the real question you need to ask is, is it value? In my opinion yes it is. I am believer of you get what you pay for and when things are expensive but you do not get the service or the 'promise' in the pictures then that is disappointing. But with Zighy Bay we left feeling as though we got more than promised through impeccable service, a truly fantastic room and a setting that pictures can never do justice to. So in that sense I felt I got true value if not a bit more (paid for 5*, felt like I got 6*).
Highly recommended, especially for those living in Dubai as there is nothing quite like it there. Can't wait to go back again! One of the region's gems for ultimate luxury and experience.

Room Tip: The 'standard' room was more than sufficient and only a stones throw away from the beach. If...
1 Thank andymardon
Dear andymardon

Thank you for reviewing your recent brief stay at the resort last March. I am glad that the resort exceeded your expectations! The team here and I pride ourselves in being able to cater to each guest individually and to ensure that the services, the setting and the hosts are truly reflecting the wonderful location of Zighy Bay here in the Sultanate of Oman.

With regard to your review, I would like to thank you for your detailed points. We are already in process of reworking all light switches in our villas to a more simple approach which will make this feature easier and more convenient for our guests.

We hopefully wil have a chance to welcome you back here soon again. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist with this in any way.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Absolutely incredible place. From the moment you arrive you know you are somewhere very special.

The resort is spread across a private beach with the Omani mountains as the backdrop on one side and nothing but open ocean on the other.

The villas are beautifully presented and the facilities are superb. Whether you want total relaxation or something more adventurous. The scuba diving was amazing, and the instructors were the best we'd had anywhere in the world

Huge swimming pools - if you venture out from your villa and private pool - fresh and salt water. White sand. So relaxed.

The food is another level, easily michellin star level in both the Sense on the Edge restaurant (perched on the mountain) and the Summer House. The Omani Shua Shack beach dining experience was a real highlight but from the bar tapas to the beach BBQ (great mini wagyu burgers!) everything was delicious.

The service is brilliant but understated, nothing is too much but if you want peace and quiet you will find the service subtle and non intrusive.

Thanks to Axel, Lizzie and Abhilash for looking after us - and to Richard and the kitchen team for such wonderful food.

We are already planning our next trip!

1 Thank DaffR
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear DaffR

Kindly allow me thank you for your very positive review about your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay in March of this year.

It is with great pleasure to read that you had enjoyed the villas and facilities such as both main pools. We hope to offer the addition of a new Beach Bar and Water-sports Centre at the Salt Water Pool by end of April of this year. To offer these type of services in combination of the setting here in Zighy Bay does create a very special ambience for our guests. I am glad that this did meet your expectations.

The team of Extra Divers will certainly be very happy to read about your kind comments. Thank you for this.

As for your review on the culinary and service side, rest assured that your review will certainly be shared with all concerned. Thank you for sharing this with us as well.

Please do stay in touch and let me know about your next visit in order to help getting everything arranged.

Albourne, West Sussex, UK
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Zighy Bay seems an unlikely spot for a high-end resort, situated as it is in a large bay cut off by arid mountains across which access isn't always easy. There is no (hardly any) local Omani culture and nowhere else to go. But it works.
The villas are set out like a little stone village in which goats roam freely. Our villa was in the "street" farthest from the sea which we actually quite liked as it was quieter. The villas are very well-appointed and spacious. There is the usual Six Senses stuff about wrestling with the blinds for 5 minutes every morning, and spending 2 days working out how the lights work, but that's all part of the fun. There are also bicycles.
The staff were exceptionally friendly and efficient, and the food very good indeed. The tapas menu worked very well in the Zighy bar. The top-end restaurant "Sense on the Edge' was possibly a bit up itself, and pretty pricey, but we had to go! Otherwise we found the food and drink prices not too bad at all for this type of resort. Breakfast was exceptional, lots of choice and well set out.
The main pool is lovely and large enough. The sea-water pool is also lovely but seemed under-used. Lots of activities, surprisingly, and one or two very special ones. The paragliding from the mountain is awesome and doesn't cost an arm and a leg either literally or metaphorically. Snorkelling and diving happen but it depends what your previous experience is as to how good you feel they are. Recommend a visit to the organic garden which is beautiful.
We were unlucky to have a couple of rare days of rain and stormy seas, which broke the off-shore boom. As a result, presumably, there was a bit of invisible oil on the beach (large tankers up and down the Persian Gulf though they're much too far away to see). Oil wipes for feet readily supplied by the beach bar.
We had a really relaxing, varied and memorable week and would love to return.

Room Tip: Some people like to be next to the sea, but it can be a bit exposed. Others, like us, are happy in t...
1 Thank wsxtraveller
Dear wsxtraveller

I would like to thank you for taking time to review your stay here at the resort in March of this year. In particular, I would like to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the hosts and that you enjoyed both the services provided as well as the setting of Zighy Bay!. We all take a high amount of pride to be working here and to offer the wonderful Omani hospitality to our guests which is reflected in all areas of the resort.

I will certainly share your comments with regard to the culinary choices and the experiences offered to our guests with the team. I do fully agree with you that the paragliding experience is an absolute "must" and should certainly be done at least once during a stay.

I do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the removal of the boom at our beach. The surprise weather situation caused us to have to remove it, which in turn did cause some tar to wash up on our otherwise pristine beach. We are int he process of replacing it already.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of any assistance in helping to organise a return visit in the near future. My email address can be taken from the signature below.

Isle of Man
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our first trip to the middle east and we were a bit nervous as to what sort of standard we could expect in terms of accommodation, food, service etc.. (We normally spend our early holiday in the Caribbean).
We needn't have worried! Zighy Bay is a unique experience.
Everything from the excellent food to our wonderful Gem (butler) Yacob were absolutely top notch.
Our room was just the most restful accommodation we have stayed in. We had a Beach Pool Villa and would recommend this if you can afford the extra dosh.
One of the real benefits compared to the Caribbean was the complete lack of biting insects.
The first night we doused ourselves with deet but after that didn't bother and not ONE bite!
We played tennis every morning at 8.00am and when we returned to our room every day it had been cleaned while we were out. This sort of organisation reflects the excellent management led by Axel Jarosch.
Wouldn't be life if there wasn't something---the hang glider could be a bit annoying.
We are in the process of booking for next year so that's how much we rated Zighy Bay.

Room Tip: select a beach pool villa if you can afford it
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BlesseIsleofMan

Thank you for choosing Six Senses Zighy Bay as the venue for your first trip to the Middle East. I am certainly very happy to read that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed the venue and services offered by our hosts.

With regard to the micro-light flights, I have since addressed the flight path with the pilot in order to guarantee that this is done at a reasonable distance from the resort to not disturb our guests by this expedience. Thank you for sharing this with us.

The team and I certainly hope to welcome both you back here next year. Please do let me know personally your dates and preferred villa so that both can be blocked off for you.

Wishing you all the best and with kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We chose this property to "crash" after our 14-hour flight into Dubai. So we didn't use all the facilities. We slept, recovered, and it was worth it to pay the extra for beach access. Service was good, but the food wasn't quite up to par, especially at its high-end restaurant. Great room that blended with the environment. Certainly you're isolated! Once you've negotiated the zig-zag road getting in you aren't going anywhere until you leave. Not sure what to make of the military presence at entry gates? Very charming French maître d'. Very friendly and well informed.

Room Tip: Get a unit on the beach!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Roger D

I would like to thank you for taking time to review your recent stay in February. The resort is ideal for chilling out and getting a chance to escape the busy day to day life. I am pleased to read that you had managed to unwind during your time here.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the menu at Sense on the Edge further as we generally do get high praises for the cuisine in this restaurant. My email address can be taken from my signature below. I will certainly share your kind comments regarding the Maitre D' with the respective host. Thank you.

As for the military check point, this is done for a short period of time by the army and Royal Oman Police on a ad-hoc basis. Since your stay the check point has already been removed by both.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
#1 of 1 in Dibba Al Bay Ah
Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Oceanic Khorfakkan Resort & Spa

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!