“paradise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Isle of Man
“paradise”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our first trip to the middle east and we were a bit nervous as to what sort of standard we could expect in terms of accommodation, food, service etc.. (We normally spend our early holiday in the Caribbean).
We needn't have worried! Zighy Bay is a unique experience.
Everything from the excellent food to our wonderful Gem (butler) Yacob were absolutely top notch.
Our room was just the most restful accommodation we have stayed in. We had a Beach Pool Villa and would recommend this if you can afford the extra dosh.
One of the real benefits compared to the Caribbean was the complete lack of biting insects.
The first night we doused ourselves with deet but after that didn't bother and not ONE bite!
We played tennis every morning at 8.00am and when we returned to our room every day it had been cleaned while we were out. This sort of organisation reflects the excellent management led by Axel Jarosch.
Wouldn't be life if there wasn't something---the hang glider could be a bit annoying.
We are in the process of booking for next year so that's how much we rated Zighy Bay.

Room Tip: select a beach pool villa if you can afford it
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear BlesseIsleofMan

Thank you for choosing Six Senses Zighy Bay as the venue for your first trip to the Middle East. I am certainly very happy to read that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed the venue and services offered by our hosts.

With regard to the micro-light flights, I have since addressed the flight path with the pilot in order to guarantee that this is done at a reasonable distance from the resort to not disturb our guests by this expedience. Thank you for sharing this with us.

The team and I certainly hope to welcome both you back here next year. Please do let me know personally your dates and preferred villa so that both can be blocked off for you.

Wishing you all the best and with kind regards,

axel@sixsenses.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We chose this property to "crash" after our 14-hour flight into Dubai. So we didn't use all the facilities. We slept, recovered, and it was worth it to pay the extra for beach access. Service was good, but the food wasn't quite up to par, especially at its high-end restaurant. Great room that blended with the environment. Certainly you're isolated! Once you've negotiated the zig-zag road getting in you aren't going anywhere until you leave. Not sure what to make of the military presence at entry gates? Very charming French maître d'. Very friendly and well informed.

Room Tip: Get a unit on the beach!
Dear Roger D

I would like to thank you for taking time to review your recent stay in February. The resort is ideal for chilling out and getting a chance to escape the busy day to day life. I am pleased to read that you had managed to unwind during your time here.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the menu at Sense on the Edge further as we generally do get high praises for the cuisine in this restaurant. My email address can be taken from my signature below. I will certainly share your kind comments regarding the Maitre D' with the respective host. Thank you.

As for the military check point, this is done for a short period of time by the army and Royal Oman Police on a ad-hoc basis. Since your stay the check point has already been removed by both.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

This was our second stay. We liked it so much when we first stayed in March 2013 that we wanted to return this year (2014), and we were not disappointed.

The location is stunning, the accommodation is large and well laid out and maintained, and the food and service were consistently good as was the spa. In particular, the service at all levels is probably the best we have experienced anywhere. It would be difficult to find a better all round hotel/resort.

A lot of reviewers say the villas facing the sea are best; for some that may be the case but we have liked being set back where other guests cannot look into your room as is the case with the sea facing villas when the fencing is left open.

As other reviewers have noted, it is not a cheap place to stay on any level, but given its location, it is hardly surprising given the challenge of getting food and drink to what is a remote mountainous region, and the Middle East is never a cheap destination when it comes to alcohol.

We don't think we have eaten a better meal than at the gourmet restaurant, Senses on the Edge, and it would were it rated, merit a least one Michelin star.

Unusually, it rained during our last two days - rare for Oman - and when the road out of the hotel became impassable on the day of our departure, they arranged a speed boat transfer to link up with the car to the airport with effortless efficiency.

Are there any downsides? There will always be anywhere you stay and two aspects to be at least aware of are:

* The number of small children and the need to be clear that you want a villa that that is away from families - which is mostly taken note of.

* Quiet dining is only going to be possible at the Senses on the Edge restaurant (which is only open some of the week and is expensive), or later in the evening in the other two restaurants once the families with children have departed.

The real test is would we want to go back for a third time and the answer is yes providing that the room we have requested is available...

Roderic R

Room Tip: Be clear whether you want a villa directly facing onto the sea or one that is not near children.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Roderic R

First and foremost allow me to thank you for returning to Six Senses Zighy Bay! I am glad that the team had managed to meet your expectations again. I would especially like to thank you for your detailed review and kind comments regarding the services provided. Rest assured that your praises will certainly be shared with all concerned. Thank you also for your kind understanding on the situation of the inconvenience caused due to the rain on your departure day. It's good to know that the alternate arrangements went smoothly and that you managed to reach the airport on time.

As for the comment regarding the number of children in the resort, kindly be aware of the fact that your stay coincided with some European school holidays. Please do share with me your preferred dates for a upcoming 3rd visit in order for me to get back to you with regard to knowing the potential school holidays as well as availability of your preferred villa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Hooke, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Six Senses (and latterly, Soneva) have just about got it right if you want a do-nothing, pampered vacation. Here the staff were amazingly attentive - special mentions for Lizzie, Richard and Steve - and nothing was too much trouble. The restaurants were great, particularly Sense on the Edge which was one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in, both for it's ambience, service and magnificent cuisine. I wasn't so keen on the BBQ/buffet evening, where the food wasn't up to the standard of the restaurants by any means, and was a bit of a free-for-all. Hopefully they'll discontinue these. The room (villa) was exquisitely rustic and well appointed, and the private infinity pool was heavenly.

My only gripe was with the prices. Six Senses may well be targeting the 'rich as Croesus' market, and if so are succeeding admirably. I personally found the food and beverage prices extortionate....

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view villa.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Geoff G

It is with great pleasure that i read about your very kind review of your recent stay here at Six Senses Zighy Bay. The special mentions of Lizzie, Richard and Steve as well as the culinary and service team of Sense on the Edge and the remaining restaurants are highly appreciated and will certainly be forwarded on to all concerned.

I have noted your comment about the BBQ evenings and have taken this on board. Both our Culinaire Arabesque and Spice Route evenings are extremely well received by our guests. I would like to recommend that at least one of the two restaurants in the main part of the resort is available for a-la-carte dining during these nights as well. I would like to thank you for your comments with regard to this.

Please feel free to contact me should you need any assistance in wishing to return.

UK
Reviewed March 9, 2014

It really is an amazing location: a beautiful beach in a hidden cove which you approach via a winding mountain road which seems like something out of James Bond. There is lots to recommend: the staff are very good indeed, the food is mostly excellent and there is a good range of activities. BUT - there are some problems. The end of the beach which has the seawater pool and the water activities centre is really under developed - no bar and no-one uses it which is a real waste. Service at the beach bar is friendly but VERY slow: one day we waited 90 minutes for our lunch and it only arrived after for the third time of asking one of us got cross. The villas are also surprisingly quite close together and so you don't necessarily have a great sense of privacy. The beach villas are worth paying the extra money for that reason alone, quite aside from the great view. And finally it isn't very efficiently run: there were quite a few mistakes on our final bill which took a long time to resolve.

Room Tip: Beach villas are worth paying the extra money
Dear Jon13Uk

Thank you for your kind review about the stay here at the resort last February. I am pleased to read that you had enjoyed the stay and that the stunning location of Zighy Bay met your expectations. I will certainly share your praises about the team and the wide choice of experiences with all concerned.

I also have noted your constructive points regarding the speed of service at the beach bar and the inconveniences caused upon your check out. Kindly allow me to express my apologies for the delays. We have since discussed both areas with the concerned teams to ensure that the processes are streamlined and made more efficient. Thank you for sharing this with me.

I am at your disposal should you wish to discuss any of these points further. My email can be taken from the signature below.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed just for one night , and it was amazing stay, started from the begin of the road until you leave the resort. very relaxing place from the time of the sunrise until sunset.
the road was like adventure specially that we came from a civilian city ( Dubai ) , goats was every where in the road started when entered oman boarders. we was amazed with mountain around this road.

Staff is very friendly and helpful, and they where very welcoming, the villa was amazing , build based on old style houses but with modern touch like having a private swiming poll.

the food was below average and the price was exaggerated.

I would not recommend staying in this hotel more than 2 nights due to :
1- stay and food price was exaggerated.
2- At night while no activites around, the resort is Terrifying while darkness was every where.
3- room service so slow .
4- Isolated area, difficult to go out of the resort for any emergency at night .
5- not that clean.
6- mice every where.
7- small tiny lizard on the walls, i couldn't sleep well because i had one on the roof which facing the bed .

Room Tip: near the activites
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bobader
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear bobader

Thank you for your kind review about your stay here at the resort. I am glad that you had enjoyed your stay and were able to relax throughout your stay. We are fortunate to be located in such a spectacular setting and that it met your expectations. I will certainly share your comments about our hosts at the resort with all concerned.

I have noted your comments regarding the culinary and accommodation prices and will review them. Please note that the culinary team uses only the freshest and organic raw products which does reflect on the cost of the dishes. The majority of our guests do come to relax and unwind here but we do offer an extensive choice of activities, ranging from paragliding to snorkelling and an award winning spa. In the evening we do concentrate on offering a great choice in our bar and restaurants, giving you a choice of true Arabic Shua Shack experience twice a week, a sumptuous culinaire Arabesque buffet fridays, a spice route buffet tuesdays and our fine dining restaurant located on the top of Zighy mountain 5 days a week. This is complemented by our Summer House restaurant and Spice Market restaurant for dinners.

I have taken your comments regarding the isolation, service of In-Villa-Dining on board constructively. Thank you for sharing this. As for emergencies at night, kindly note that the resort does offer the facility of our trained nurses on call 24 hours and with the nearest hospital being just 15 minutes away. We also have a doctor on call 24 hours from Dibba.

I do hope we can welcome you back here soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should I be able to assist with a potential return visit.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and myself booked Six Senses Zighy Bay for 2 nights in Feb 2014 to celebrate our upcoming wedding anniversary.
We were looking forward to our stay there, as pictures of the hotel and surroundings looked amazing.

On a day we drove from Dubai (where we live) for 2 and half hours to Six Senses Zighy Bay. After a short greeting at reception, sorting out some formalities, were escorted to our private villa with pool and started unpacking.

Normally when booking 5* hotel, you would expect to find all essentials in the room and have a privilege to travel light. Unfortunately it was not the case...

After checking out the amenities, we were surprised to realize that there are no slippers provided in the villa.

I called reception and politely asked somebody to send us 2 pairs of slippers. It was done within next half an hour.

As the day went by we also noticed the absence of tooth brushes, combs, raisers and other essential items you normally would find in hotel room (especially 1200 USD per night luxury hotel room!)

I had to call reception again and was told by the receptionist (who sounded very annoyed by my call) that these items are only available upon request
When I enquired if dental kit is a part of the package we paid for, the answer was "Yes….but you still have to ask for it!".

It was no longer a surprise that after finishing a tiny bit of hair conditioner (which was left for us in refillable bottle in the shower room), the bottle remained empty for the whole duration of our stay.
Thankfully I had a sachet of disposable conditioner in my bag so it saved us another embarrassment calling hotel reception.

Privacy (or compete lack of privacy):

During our first night in a villa and following early morning, we were unwillingly participating in our next door neighbours social and private life events.

Whether we sat inside the villa or outside by the pool, we could hear everything what was going on in the villa next to us.

This pretty much gives you an idea how close to each other villas are built and how poor sound proof systems of villas are.

But worse was yet to come...

Around 10 am we heard very loud roaring engine noise, followed by appearance of the Microlite (low flying recreational little 2 seat jet) above our villa.
This Microlight was circulating above our villa for a quite some time and passenger were smiling and waving to us, while we were sunbathing by our “private” pool!

It completely destroyed any remaining sense of privacy, hotel supposedly offers to their guests.
You are exposed to everybody who decides to have a Microlite tour over hotel (and your villa) and your privacy is no longer a priority.

Despite of our complaint to the Management, the Microlite continued flying over out villa for the rest of the afternoon as well as following morning.
Unfortunately it became obvious to us that hotel is making few extra bucks on these flights by jeopardising other guests privacy.

Food:

It worth mentioning “full board” package you get for your money in Six Senses Zighy Bay.

By booking “Full Board” package in decent hotel, you would imagine that food cost is no longer something to worry about.

Well not in Six Senses Zighy Bay...

By going on full board package, you will get a credit of 35 OMR per person per day and everything consumed on the top of it had to be paid separately.

As menu is mainly a'la cart and prices are REALLY high, most probably you will have to pay on the top of given daily credit anyway.
The average 2 course meal can cost you 30 OMR easily (Arabic barbecue evening buffet is 35 OMR per person) so here most of your daily food allowances gone.

Moreover, they charge you for water in the restaurants even on full board package. You have to pay for water separately and it is not included in your daily 35 OMR allowances.

Refillable bottle of water will cost you around 5 USD (2 OMR) in a restaurant. Small bottle of Heineken 2.5 OMR, cheapest glass of wine is 6 OMR or so.

However food is quite nice there and restaurants staff is very friendly and helpful. This was the only highlight of our stay.

Departure:

On a day of departure we actually discovered SPF and after sun lotion….hidden in the cupboard under the safe ... not in the bathroom or any other place you would normally consider looking.
Was there same logic applicable as for dental kit and slippers - “not found, not used, costs saved”, I don’t know but all was pointing this direction.

Around 11:30 pm we called reception to arrange our bags collection.
After waiting for 20 minutes in our villa with no sign of hotel staff, we ended up carrying our bags to the reception ourselves.

Being frequent travellers and living in Dubai for the past 6 years, Six Senses Zighy Bay is the worst “luxury” hotel we stayed in so far.

We were glad we only booked 2 nights in this hotel as we probably would leave in the middle of our stay anyway.

Unfortunately for us on this occasion, it was not just a bad hotel experience but huge disappointment which has ruined our special day.

Upon arrival back to Dubai my husband dropped hotel an email flagging up the privacy issues we had during our stay but email still remains unanswered...

The bottom line - Six Senses Zighy Bay could have so much potential if facilities were properly supervised and whole system would not be driven just by the greed and total incompetence of Managerial Staff.

I would not recommend staying in this hotel if you are expecting good service and at least some privacy.

For the same amount of money you can get yourself much better deal in other truly luxury hotels in UAE and Oman, which do deliver as per guests expectations.

18 Thank TatyanaSm
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear TatyanaSM

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your detailed and constructive review on your recent weekend stay to celebrate your wedding anniversary at Six Senses Zighy Bay!. I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconveniences caused during your stay.

Regarding the amenities inside your villa, please note that the resort does offer over 20 additional items for our guest as well as an extensive pillow menu. I will ensure that our GEMs do point this out more clearly to our guests when explaining the villas. The GEM should automatically have pointed out the location of the suntan and body lotions. I had also addressed the issue of the conditioner with our housekeeping team. Thank you for sharing this with me.

Regarding the micro-light: this is, together with the paraglide, one of the most popular experiences we offer to our guests. It certainly is not our intention to intrude in the privacy of our guests and the pilot has clear instructions to not fly directly over the resort. If you had this impression, I can only apologise and will certainly brief the pilot again.

Please kindly allow me to explain the entitlements for the full board here at the resort. Full board gives you a credit of OMR 20 net per person for lunch and OMR 35 net per person for dinner. The resort does offer a "Sense of Flavor" menu in both our Summer House and Spice Market restaurants which changes frequently for our guests on half and full board. Alternatively, this credit can be used against any orders for the a-la-carte menus, special buffet nights or Shua Shack experience.

Again, I hope we have an opportunity to re-instill your faith in Six Senses Zighy Bay!

I have personally responded to the email you had mentioned in your review and stand at your disposal should you wish to discuss any of your points further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
#3 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!