“An amazing hotel/resort in every sense - including the 6th!”

Six Senses Zighy Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
London, United Kingdom
“An amazing hotel/resort in every sense - including the 6th!”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

It's difficult to explain Zighy Bay as it is so different from any other hotel we have ever stayed in! We spent 10 days there Feb/March 2013 when the weather was just about perfect but after three days I fell and broke my wrist resulting in a plaster cast being put on and consequently swimming in the large pool was not an option. I did manage to carefully stand into our own villa pool which was wonderful and helped me to feel cool when the sun was at its hottest. Not an ideal holiday from the point of view of the injury but the hotel could not have been more helpful in organising a visit to the hospital, via a speed boat, and generally making sure that I was well looked after.

We decided to return for 10 days this year Jan/Feb, so that I could experience it in more normal circumstances! I was not disappointed. A good number of the staff remembered us and asked me if all was now OK and Ary, our butler, (everyone has their own butler) could not have been more helpful. A good number of the reviews on this site list the qualities of the rooms so I will not repeat what has already been said. We booked a beach front villa again and experienced the sunrises by just walking a few steps to the front gates, opening them and standing there with our mouths hanging open at the sight! We will return next year, hopefully, but will go later on in February as it was definitely warmer last year at the end of Feb/March. If you are sporty there is a large range of activities, some of which are free and if you want spa treatments their spa is second to none.

Axel Jarosch is a superb hotel manager who clearly cares about his clients and is a visible presence around all areas of the hotel. This is important, in my view, as he is approachable and friendly and will listen to any comments you feel you need to make. All the staff, with whom we had any dealings, were courteous and helpful.

We look forward to another visit next year.

Room Tip: A Beach Front Villa is the best if your budget can stretch to it. Huge bedroom and relaxing sofa ar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Finch48

I am so glad that you came back here and that this second visit made up for a unfortunate accident from last year. All of the hosts, including Ary - your butler - here send you their warmest regards and we will look forward to your stay next year. Your preferred villa has already been reserved for this upcoming visit.

Please do not hesitate to drop me a mail in order to arrange for the speedboat arrival or spa treatments in advance to ensure that you have your preferred timings.

Wishing you all the best,

axel@sixsenses.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The best thing about the hotel is the location. It’s amazing that its only 2 hours drive from Dubai as the contrast couldn't be more different. The rugged mountain scenery on the drive in is really stunning. We had a standard pool villa which did not have a sea view but that was not a problem as it was a 10 second walk to the beach. The villa was very private and quiet and the pool was heated to the perfect temperature, which was necessary as although it was nice and sunny the air temperature was pretty cool in the first week of February. We enjoyed relaxing in our own villa, on the public beach and at the main pool. The service was excellent everywhere and particularly on the beach where the staff were continuously topping up our iced water and running over to help with adjusting sunloungers/parasols etc and at breakfast where the waiters couldn't do enough to help you.
We really enjoyed the food. It is expensive but there is a great selection in 4 different restaurants and it is beautifully fresh and well prepared. At this time of the year 30% of the fruit and vegetables comes from the resort’s own organic garden, amazing considering the desert location. We took a tour with the gardener and he was really passionate about getting new things to grow in the inhospitable climate. The only disappointment for us was that due to the cold weather the Arabic meal on the beach was cancelled and also we were not able to sit outside at the Senses on the Edge restaurant. The food there was good but given the price we probably would not have gone had we realised we would be sitting inside as the main draw is the terrace and the view. We enjoyed the spa and snorkelling excursions. There were many more adventurous activities on offer but we preferred to spend the time relaxing. Overall a great experience and would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear advice55

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay this month here at the resort. It is good to read that you had a great time and that the setting, the services and the weather all contributed to your nice experience.

Sadly this year's cooler weather at night extended into February causing the meals at the Shua Shack and Sense on the Edge to be moved inside. It would not have done justice to the cuisine or experience of these special meals if you would have been inconvenienced by the stronger winds at the bay or the cooler climate during dinner at the restaurant on the top of our mountain. I trust that this finds your understanding.

I am glad that you had a chance to visit our organic garden. It is not only a great feature of the resort but does produce a large amount of vegetables, herbs and fruits for our restaurants. In addition to this we are developing a large organic farm in the nearby town of Dibba for the same purpose in order to be even more self sufficient and to be able to guarantee the quality of what we can produce. Hopefully in time for your next visit this new addition will be able to be visited by our guests.

I will share your kind comments regarding the service hosts. Thank you for this. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any assistance prior to returning here.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in mid January, and it was just an unbelievably amazing experience. We stayed in a villa that had direct beach access. It was really cool to be able to wake up to a sunrise on the beach just watching the rays hit the waves. Then at night to be able to glance into the stars and get lost in them.

The service was immaculate. Our personal butler Karthik was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. The day we didn't got for breakfast he even came to check up on us. When we went to play table tennis and darts Danish kept score for us and chased down the balls. No detail went unnoticed.

The food was just splendid! The highlight was the lobster theme at the Edge restaurant. Seafood will never taste the same! The best meal I've had in my life!

If I was to give any criticism it would be the cost. It is once in a life time type of place. On a side note there was a staff member that was discriminatory but he had the decency to apologize by the end of the trip so we chose not to name and shame him.

One of the major highlights was driving through the mountains to get here and seeing all of the mountain goats!

Overall a wonderful experience!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Navaid_Aziz

First and foremost kindly allow me to thank you for your amazing review about your recent stay in January 2014. I am very happy to read that the services provided to you by our hosts, in particular your butler Karthik, and Dinesh from our Experiences team exceeded your expectations.

Especially good to read is that you enjoyed the newly introduced Sense of Sea Lobster Set Menu at our fine dining restaurant, Sense on the Edge. Wednesdays has become a very busy night because of this.

I do sincerely apologise if any of our hosts stepped out of line towards yourself. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further. My email can be taken from the signature below.

The team and I do look forward to welcoming you back here. Please feel free to contact me should I be of any assistance for this.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 3, 2014

OK, first things first this place is NOT cheap but in terms of time spent versus relaxation achieved it's pretty good value. Its a couple of pretty tedious hours drive from Dubai so is not exactly convenient but the distance gives it that "getting away" feel if you are coming from the UAE.

The setting is amazing - at the bottom of a cliff and in an isolated bay and this adds to the whole experience. The drive in over the top of the mountain is also fun and adds to the relaxation since its a bit of an adventure.

We stayed in a Beachfront villa - these are very nice with all you would expect in terms of heated private pool, outside shower, beach view etc.

We had dinner "up the mountain" in a delightful restaurant with excellent food and a strong if pricy wine list - on the positive side the view is free!

The hotel is set out as an "Omani Village" and sometimes can feel a bit "Disney" but it is exceptionally tidy and the staff are happy, cheerful and charming.

In conclusion, if you have the means and need a refreshing and rustic change form Dubai highly recommended. I am not sure I would come here for a couple of weeks but for a long weekend its absolutely lovely.

Room Tip: A beach villa, of course, if you can stretch to it...
Dear JonnyBBad

Thank you for your kind review about your stay last January here at the resort. I do appreciate the time you took to do this.

The team and I do take pride in providing both in our services but also in our architecture and approach to you, our guest, true Omani hospitality. This is reflected in the design of the resort, which was created using predominantly locally found natural building materials, including the date palm branches as fencing. It does resemble a traditional Omani village which can be found in this style throughout the Sultanate. Off course, our location is exceptional and I am glad that you enjoyed the setting here in the bay.

The majority of our guests usually prefer a beach front villa, as you had mentioned. To have the facility of your own private pool as well as the direct access to the beach here in the Gulf of Oman does have a certain charm and convenience. Thank you for pointing this out.

I have shared your kind comments regarding the our hosts as well as the dinner at Sense on the Edge, our fine dining restaurant, with the team. Thank you for this. Kindly note that, especially due to taxation laws on alcohol, the prices do reflect this higher cost. I do hope that this finds your understanding.

I stand at your disposal should you need any assistance prior to your future return visit. I can be reached under axel@sixsenses.com.

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Zighy Bay for a weekend after a few nights in Dubai. We had a perfect couple of days, just a stay for 2 nights was enough to fully relax and make the most of the resort. We had villa 4, which although is not counted as an 'ocean front' villa it has an incredble view of the sea and actually the widest part of beach in front of it. The staff at the resort are all very helpful and made our stay even better. Our butler was great too! We ate in the hotel, we especially enjoyed the daily tapas at the bar. There is plenty to do if you don't want to sit by the beach or at your own pool all day. We played tennis, used the spa and the gym. Also the Organic garden is worth a visit! Overall I cannot fault this resort, we had an amazing trip and I would say it is suitable for anyone as the staff will make it perfect in any way they can.

1 Thank Ali B
Dear Ali B

I would like to thank you for your great review about your recent stay here in January of this year. Rest assured that your kind words will be shared with all of the hosts at the resort.

I fully agree with your assessment of Villa 4, as it not only offers a great view but also gives anyone staying there a greater amount of privacy as you only have one neighbour.

Your review about our hosts, in particular your butler, has already been passed on to him. Thank you for this. Also your comments about the good variety of our cuisine, in particular the newly introduced tapas at the Zighy Bar are highly appreciated.

Please do let me know whenever you wish to return so that I can assist in any preparations prior to arrival.

Stebbing, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at Zighy Bay for three nights in January. You begin to wonder why this resort is special when, after a two and a half hour drive from Dubai ,you arrive at a gate in front of a sheer mountain, your bags are unloaded from your car and you are shown into a waiting room with no resort in sight. In a short time a 4 wheel drive appears from the direction of the mountain and you and your bags are loaded on and you commence one of the most dramatic (and hair raising) drives that you will ever have to reach a resort. The road winds its way up the side of the mountain with a sheer drop one one side. When you reach the top you have your first stunning view of the oasis which is the hotel set alongside a long sandy beach. There is a similar dramatic descent on the other side to reach the hotel (you do have the option to paraglde down if you so wish!).
On arrival you are greeted by the manager and meet your personal Butler,who together with your room attendant deals with all your requests during your stay.
The accommodation is rustic in appearance, each villa designed to fit in with the local ambiance, but fitted out with all modern amenities. Each villa has its own private pool. The beds are comfortable. The service was excellent and the hotel staff always friendly and attentive.
The lay out of the resort is attractive and all the walkways are sand based which means that most of the time you can walk bare foot.
The restaurants are good and provide a variety of choices. There are a variety of activities available, we took a dhow cruise and went snorkelling, and a spa which we visited but did not use, but it looked impressive and we were told by others that it was excellent. For a short break it was a delightful hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Chose a beach pool villa. You can walk out on to the sand and straight in to the sea from your villa...
3 Thank patrickts
Dear patrickts

It is with great pleasure that I read your very positive review about the recent stay here at Six Senses Zighy Bay! Thank you for taking time to do this.

The location of the resort in the bay and the dramatic entry over the mountains does make this a very unique arrival experience. I am sure that, upon your next visit, we can convince you to try to fly into the resort with our resident paraglide pilot. It is certainly a wonderful opportunity to view the resort and the bay from a very dramatic view point.

I am very happy that you enjoyed the traditional Omani architecture of our pool villas, which does blend into the beautiful nature of the bay and backdrop of the mountains.

I will gladly share your kind words about the services of our hosts with all.

Please feel free to drop me a mail should you wish to return here or visit any of our other Six Senses Resorts. My email can be taken from the signature below.

Prague
Reviewed January 31, 2014

the hotel is located in a bay hidden behind high mountains and you can enjoy a very long evening and sunset because Sun hides behind the mountains and the atmosphere is very calm and quiet. You can do a lot of activities, sports and games or just stroll on the beach. Accommodation is very comfortable and cosy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Bohdana Z

Thank you very much for taking time in reviewing your recent stay at the resort. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and liked the atmosphere of the beautiful setting of Zighy Bay! It is also good to read that you appreciated all the services which our hosts offer to our guests and that you liked the concept of our pool villas.

Please do let me know if I can assist you in planning a return visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
#1 of 1 in Dibba Al Bay Ah
Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Oceanic Khorfakkan Resort & Spa

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!