“Pure Bliss at Zighy Bay”

Six Senses Zighy Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
north wales
“Pure Bliss at Zighy Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

We spent four nights at this amazing property for the first leg of our honeymoon, and what an experience it was!

From the moment we arrived (via a very scary road over some beautiful mountains), to the moment we departed (reluctantly), the service was perfect - always there if you needed anything, never obtrusive. Our butler, Raghav, was fantastic, as were ALL the staff, absolutely no exceptions, especially the lovely waiter (or 'hosts', as they're called) at the bar who opened a bottle of Bollinger for us one evening and proceeded to serve it all to us for free!

The villas were gorgeous - masses of room and the outstide space was especially wonderful. Even though the temperature and humidity was extremely high when we were there, the pool was always cool. I laughed when our butler referred to it as a 'plunge pool' - it was large engouh to swim laps! The interior definitely has a 'barefoot luxury' feel about it, very rustic but very comfertable. The bath was the biggest I have ever seen and there was a huge indoor shower and a large outdoor shower. The bed was supremely comfertable and the linens were of top qulaity. The six senses group have done a great job with this hotel - all the villas blend in beautifully with the rugged mountains all around and they've gone to great lenghths to ensure that sustainable materials are used wherever possible - no plastic ANYWHERE!

We mainly had our meals at dining on the sand or in the villa. The food was always to a very high standard and as always, the service was fantastic. We didn't dine at 'dining on the edge' as my husband has a severe fear of heights but the general feedback was that it was very good if not a little pricey. The chef has a Michelin star.

I found the prices in general to be pretty standard for a hotel of this nature - expect to spend about £100 on a two course meal for 2 in the evening with a couple of drinks in the restaurant. Cocktails were about £5-6 each and beer was about £4. The ONLY gripe I have about this hotel is the mini-bar prices, which were extrortionate! I'm not tight in the slightest but I do get slightly queasy when I find that the small bag of kettle chips I've just eaten has cost me £4. Especially when they're free at the bar! Ouch!

We used the spa twice and both experiences were out of this world! Mosts of the therapist are Thai and are obviously very highly trained. We left on two little clouds, completely oblivious to anything around us!

I would definitely recommend this hotel for honeymooners as the package is so good. You got a dolphin-watching cruise for 2, an hour's spa treatment for 2, champagne on the beach with canapes at sunset (and not any old rubbish - I think we had Moet, which was £95 if purchsed from the mini bar!), followed by a sumptious and delicious (specially-created menu) four course dinner served to you in your villa, which was especially decorated for the occasion - AMAZING.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm incredibly imprssed by this hotel and I can be very, very picky. Don't go if you like wondering about outside the resort, eating locally etc cos you just can't do it here, but if pure and utter relaxation and being completely spoilt in stunning surroundings is what you want, then get on that plane! You won't regret it!

• Liked — All of it!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
2 Thank mrswilliams123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
devon UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

We are here on honeymoon and this place is truely heaven on earth..................set between spectacular mountains and the sea the resort looks like nothing until you enter..............and then every where is just beautiful and spectacular.

The service is exemplery, the accommodation just stunning, the food a sheer delight.....the spa a paradise............you absolutely must paraglide into the resort from mountain top to beach what a fabulous experience.

Come now.... for its grand opening ...whenever we shall surely be back again soon.

...

5 Thank DeWolfes
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

Needing a break from Dubai, my husband and I booked our stay at Six Senses looking forward to the quiet and relaxation of the resort.Thankfully this is exactly what we received and got a beach view 1 bedroom villa that was just outstanding. Our Butler was attentive, service excellent and views were just wonderful. Overall it was a positive experience.

Two suggestions I have for future guests of the resort, make sure you check the pool temperature upon getting to the resort and if it isn't cool enough get it resolved ASAP. It took 2 days for the water to be actually cool. Second suggestion if you have dietary requirements (vegetarian), get the chef on the first day of your arrival to arrange a special menu for you. It took them 3 nights to offer this to me of my 4 night stay. I do have to say however the menu the Chef offered me was great and creative.

Enjoy this resort it is truely wonderful.

1 Thank Mel_Joie
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

Had a four night stay at Zighy Bay a couple of months ago - There are positives and negatives , all of which are reflected in another guests' experiences . The setting is stunning and unique , which is part of the appeal, being so remote - the villas are of a very high standard , even at entry level, with all the needed elements of 5 star properties. Having stayed at other Six Senses flagship hotels ( Soneva Gili & Fushi ) we did have high expectations and this is where things fell down considerably . The food is good (but not superb) and overpriced , and until all the eating outlets are complete there is too much pressure on the main restaurant to find outside tables - the resort was no more than half full during our stay . The tours are also overpriced ( although the private snorkelling trip was a treat and reasonably good value) - the service is patchy and we felt unusually hassled by the villa hosts contstantly trying to push the tours . Unfortunately the property is suffering many of the same issues that new hotels have and I couldnt hand on heart recommend it for at least another year - the GM has just moved in from Soneva Fushi and if anyone should know what it takes to bring it up to standard , she should !

• Liked — Setting and rooms
  • Disliked — Service, dining and tours
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank marty99
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

We agree with a lot of what the other reviewers have said about this resort. So to try to assist anyone else considering going to Zighy, let me try to summarise the pro's & con's.

PRO'S:

* The location is great & if it's a complete chill-out away from the madding crowd you're after, then this is a quiet & remote place to be. There really is nowhere to go outside the resort, unless you do excursions with Arabian Adventures.

* The villas & the resort are great, well designed & furnished in true Omani style. The beds were really comfortable & the villa had all the essential amenities, plus aircon' (thank God!). The private pool is a huge plus.

* The staff were very friendly and on the whole the service was good, but there were some issues which I'll go on to explain. Some of them did however go to great lengths to find us some little souvenirs of Oman that we were looking for, but being in such a remote location could not find. In a few days they had sourced what we were after, so we really appreciated this & it was a nice touch for the guys to go the extra mile. Sebastian & Wayne from the LIFE centre were great & very helpful too.

* The food was good and there's a wide selection of Eastern, Arabian & Western foods which we really enjoyed; although I question if it's value for money compared with restaurants in London that have excellent food & the prices are considerably less. Dining on the Edge was particularly over-priced for what it was. So disappointing in some ways.

* The spa was great & the treatments were excellent, especially the Hammam which I'd highly recommend (like a Turkish bath).

* The diving was really good & the guys from the dive company were great.

* The paragliding was a great experience (albeit short) that I would highly recommend.

* The scenery is spectacular & dramatic in its ruggedness. Very different from the UAE deserts.

CON'S:

* It's a shame that in such a hot & sunny climate (& it being a new resort proclaiming to be environmentally-friendly) that there is no solar panels for heating & energy??

* The aircon' in Dining in the Sands was either not working or not powerful enough to keep the place cool. Yes, it was cooler than outside, but still really hot inside which is not conducive to eating very much.

* The lighting by the mirrors in the bathroom & the wardrobe are terrible. It's a real struggle trying to do make up in semi-darkness!

* I knew it was going to be hot, but the climate from May to September is unbearably hot. Temperature was 40 degrees most days dropping to 38 at night, plus you have extreme humidity that makes it feel even hotter (no fault of the resort obviously). The problem however is that we wanted to do all sorts of excursions that were advertised on the website & by the resort too; however it was a real mission trying to book the excursions, only to find out that many of them are not available in the hottest months! When we eventually got a full explanation about the reasons why, it made sense; but why was this not explained at the outset? Even during our stay, there were notices in reception advertising "Riddle of the Sands" that takes you into the desert; when in actual fact this trip is currently unavailable in June, July & August?!? Likewise mountain biking was also "off the menu" but nowhere was this communicated. They really need to stipulate clearly what options are & are not available & fully explain the reasoning so as not to disappoint guests. One of the reasons we booked at Zighy was to do some of the trips we'd set our hearts on, but couldn't. Disappointing.

* Whilst the staff are very friendly & they all greet you whenever you pass; it does become tiring having to answer the same questions over & over & over again to every staff member on a daily basis. A "hello" or "good morning" would suffice. You don't want to be answering "how has your day been", "how was the spa", "how was your diving", "how was your dinner", "how is your stay" every time you pass host or staff member; it's just too much. There also seems to be a real lack of communication between the different 'hosts'. We tried to book an excursion, but could not get confirmation from anyone if it was booked; then suddenly we were woken to be told that our excursion was departing in 5 mins! Likewise there was an awful lot of confusion at the spa about treatments we'd booked & it seemed to be very difficult for them to sort out (which they ultimately did) what was what; again very frustrating. This confusion was also clear when on at least 3 occasions we were about to sign for something, only so see it had our villa but someone else's name on on the bill. Lastly on the staff issue, we went diving on a number of days & you get a fabulous packed brunch. However, we often only wanted to eat afterwards on the way back from diving. On one of the days one of the guys from the resort (not the dive company) decided however to help himself (in full view of us!) to not only his own food but the bulk of our food too, leaving us one sandwich to share. This was cheeky & not appreciated, when you're staying in this type of establishment. Yes, we should have said something at the time, but were so taken aback, that we didn't.

* We should have done more homework prior to choosing the northern tip of Oman, but if you want to see a little bit of Oman & experience Omani culture & places of interest, you are better off going to the main part of the country further south, as there is very little to see or do around Musandam. The excursions are all in & around the UAE, as Muscat is a 5 hour drive away. So you don't really get a chance to "get a little taste of Oman".

* Unfortunately a lot of the little niggles added up & when you're expected to pay top dollar for an exclusive resort that is not complete (some of the restaurants etc are not even open yet & there is still building work going on) & is still experiencing teething pains, so it's pretty disappointing. We got the same feedback from other guests we spoke with, about most of the issues pointed out in this review. The place should be great once it's finished, but as discerning guests who are used to staying in good hotels, this was not great value for money & although we enjoyed it, we'd probably go somewhere else next time.

• Liked — The private pool & being in a quiet, remote location. Spa treatments were amazing!
  • Disliked — Not value for money. For top dollar prices one expects a top dollar experience. Not quite there yet.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nixlovestravel
SS-ZighyBay, Public Relations Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, May 18, 2016
Dear granix

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for having reviewed your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay. Thank you as well for the kind words regarding the layout of the villa, the choices of your meals and the team here at the resort. We do pride ourselves in being able to offer true authentic Omani hospitality in Zighy Bay and it is with pleasure to read that this has come across to you, our guest.

I look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance in facilitating this.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

We spend 9 nights at the resort in a Pool Suite Villa on the Beach Front.

What we liked:
- the resort set-up, very nicely done, a lot of character
- the villas themselves, the privacy, the pools which are more than welcome in june!
- the service and the staff

What we did not liked:
- some tar on the beach; although it is not the resort fault, and they started defensive measure, every beach walk ended in a feet cleaning exercise;
- one butler, who was arrogant and not helfull, but he got removed in the middle of our stay and we got a perfect and supportive one.

• Liked — The "rooms"; the overall design; the service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank mren
Dear mren

Cape Town, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

When I first heard that every "room" at Zighy Bay is actually a villa with a private pool, I was impressed. When my partner said he'd booked a beachfront villa, that sounded even more impressive. When we finally arrived at our beach villa, my breath was truly taken away.

We spent some time googling this property before we booked our three-day stay, and couldn't find many pictures, so my review here will be short and my pictures will be many. I hope they inspire someone somewhere to take a break at this beautiful hotel.

We were met at Daba Port (Daba is the spelling for the Oman side of Dibba, the town that is, unusually, shared by the UAE emirates of Fujairah, Sharjah and the country of Oman) by a hotel vehicle, which we followed in our 4X4 over the mountain and down into Zighy Bay. [Hint: If you're driving yourself from the UAE, the port is signposted to an extent, but when you're close you'll have to look for Al Mina.]

The approach is beautiful, through a wadi and over a mountain and down a steep, winding and sometimes hair-raising path into the remote and secluded bay which the resort shares with a small fishing village.

Our "butler" showed us to our delicious villa, and from then onwards we truly felt as though we were hiding away.

Our villa created a home-from-home in an eco-friendly environment. Everything is designed with earthy materials; the villa was all stone and slate and palm leaves and water and sand and sky and beach. In our humble one-bedroom beachfront villa we had three living rooms - the indoor one, chess table and welcoming biscuit platter included, the outdoor majlis under a palm leaf roof, and the summerhouse, a raised outdoor living room which stays a degree or two cooler than the outdoor temperature.

But the home comforts were all there too, from the wifi internet access (included, no password required, one of my soapbox issues with other so-called 5-star properties around the world) to chilly airconditioning, fans, great filter coffee, a well-stocked wine fridge, the huge bath, indoor shower, outdoor shower and as many fluffy cotton towels as we could ever need.

I said I'd keep this review short, so before I upload some pictures, here are a few hints.

1. Book a beachfront villa. The extra money is well worth it, because you extend your front pool patio to include the beach and the Strait of Oman.

2. Paraglide. Don't do it as "an arrival experience", rather go down by vehicle, your own or the hotel's. But get your bearings first and then book a tandem trip with the very experienced Bulgarian paraglider Itso, at a time that will hopefully keep you in the air for closer than the 20 minutes I was promised and longer than the 4 minutes we achieved at 1600 Zighy Time!

3. Have breakfast as brunch every day. The buffet is a well-thought-out mix of Western and Arabic, and a lovely touch is being able to order from the a la carte menu for your breakfast main course. So you can have pretty much anything you want from waffles and pancakes to omelettes and eggs benedict, all beautifully designed. Don't miss the Arabic bread cooked in front of you on the Arabic station.

Okay, this review is too long already!

Pictures...

• Liked — beautiful rooms/villas/private pools
  • Disliked — constant fights with room service about espresso coffee pods; just give us the damn coffee pods!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple

Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
#3 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!