“Change Your Expectation!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Dubai
“Change Your Expectation!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

•If you're a young couple, prepare your wife (or girlfriend) for freaky stares/long looks from male staff, which is extremely disturbing; be it butler, recreation attendants, lifeguards, etc.

•You'll pay triple and sometimes four times as much for food and beverage, activities, and nightly room rate compared to other resorts. We ended up paying around 45% more than we expected even though we only had two meals a day and no drinks at the bar.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Moss1st
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Moss1st

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the resort. I also wanted to express my apologies, as we discussed upon your departure from Six Senses Zighy Bay, for the experiences you had shared with me. I have since addressed the issues with the concerned hosts who by no means wanted to make you or your wife feel uncomfortable. This is taken on board very seriously, rest assured.

Please note that Six Senses Zighy Bay uses only very high quality of ingredients and produce for our dining options. The prices are similar to other luxury destination in the region and I do apologise if you felt that the value was not given for the amount you had spent. I will review, together with the culinary and service team the offering in our restaurants again, however.

Please feel free to contact me personally should you wish to discuss any of your points further. I can be reached under: axel@sixsenses.com.

Axel Jarosch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from this place and we had a lovely break. Its rustic luxury, very good service and good food. Like some other reviewers we flew Emirates LHR to Dubai then the a car takes you to Zighy Bay 2 hours away. Lovely location on the Musamdam peninsula - I hadn't realised its a completely separate part of the sultanate of Oman - its a 7 hour drive to Muscat for example where most other hotels are.

We liked the privacy of our own pool plus we had a beachfront villa which was worth the extra. It was the end of the summer season when we were there and it seemed quiet although maybe it is always like that. A few families were there with their kids so if you object to the rug rats you may want to bear that in mind (we left ours at home!).

We went half board and I didn't think it was that expensive - booze isn't cheap but we expected that and it didn't bother us.

We used the spa and had good massages plus I used the gym which was fine.

The staff often used our names when addressing us which we liked - you don't get that too often .

All in all in your want a quiet, luxury break in an amazing location this is the perfect place.

Room Tip: get a beachfront villa - worth the extra. We had room 18 which was fine.
1 Thank britabroad9
Dear britabroad9

I would like to say thank you for your kind review about your recent stay this October at the resort. In particular, I am pleased that your enjoyed the villa, the spa and the personalised approach of our hosts toward you and your wife. Thank you also for your understanding that alcoholic beverages in this part of the world tend to be a bit more expensive compared to Europe, as they are taxed quite high by the respective countries in the region.

We usually recommend our guest to enter the province of Musandam via Dubai if traveling from overseas as this will give you a short 2 hour trip from the airport to the resort. Thank you for highlighting this as well in your review.

Please feel free to contact me personally if I can assist you in helping to organise a return trip to Six Senses Zighy Bay or any of our other beautiful resorts.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were returning guests and stayed 5 glorious days. Everything is perfect at Zighy Bay: the villas with the private pool, the restaurants - especially the one on top of the mountain, which is the ultimate gourmet treat - and of course the excellent staff, who are always greeting you with a smile and go out of their way to be helpful. The 5 days we spent there were pure relaxation and joy.

"Thank you" to everybody at Six Senses Zighy Bay for a memorable stay!

Dear Angela J

Please allow me to thank you for returning to Six Senses Zighy Bay and also taking time to review the stay here. I am truly glad that we have managed to make your stay a pleasant one again and that you enjoyed the beach front villa.

I will certainly pass your "thank you" to the team and especially to your butler, Ary, and the culinary and service team at Sense on the Edge.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and can be contacted via the below email for any assistance.

Bradford
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I went to Zighy Bay for my honeymoon and stayed for 5 nights in a single storey villa.
I opted to get a transfer from Dubai airport to the resort and am happy I opted for this over a hire car; as it doesn't look like an easy place to find unless you're familiar with the area. The journey is a little under 2 hours. The final part of the drive is spectacular. You drive up mountains and then back down into the bay.
We specifically asked for extra privacy and they ensured that our villa was not overlooked by any 2 storey villas. The villa is open plan, with doors only on the toilet and shower cubicle.
The garden area is awesome with numerous places to sit and relax as well as the pool.
You are allocated a butler who serves as a guide, transports you around the resort and also books in any excursions and dinner reservations. Our butler, Saif, was really nice and always willing to help.
Breakfast buffet has a superb selection. You can opt to have dinner in the same restaurant and this is also excellent. The personal service we received every time, especially from Tipu Sultan, was great.
The spa was very busy and it was hard to get slots for any treatments so I would advise booking in the sessions you want ahead of arrival.
In terms of activities, there were a number of excursions available. We opted for the sunset cruise and the mountain 4x4 trail. Both were good fun.
We booked a meal at the restaurant at the top of the mountain and recommend this to anyone who plans to go. The food is amazing and the view is breathtaking.
I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you require additional privacy, let them know in advanced. For this, it would have to be a villa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear khizer

First and foremost, please allow me to express my gratitude for taking time to review your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay in May of this year.

With great pleasure I read that the team has managed to meet your expectations and that you enjoyed the services and facilities provided during your stay. I will certainly share your kind comments with the respective departments, especially the culinary team, the butler and the spa. We usually request, especially during busy periods, to have our guests book whatever they wish prior to arrival in order to ensure the preferred timing and availability. Thank you for pointing this out as well.

Please feel free to contact me directly should I be of any assistance in a return visit or to any of our Six Senses resorts.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 8, 2013

After traversing the mountain you are greeted to a wonderful visual vista of the resort laid before you and an apron of white powder sand gently fades into the sea. Our room, an ocean facing studio with pool and private lounging area was a perfect welcome after a two hour drive across from Dubai. On arrival we were warmly welcomed by the General Manager which is a very nice touch and our butler, Julius, was very accommodating and had our itinerary organised perfectly.
This location is perfect for a quiet break away from it all – the room was nicely appointed and tastefully decorated to give a rustic feel – extra touches like an additional outdoor shower and shaded bamboo “chill-out” room were well thought out. The private infinity pool was at a perfect temperature to lounge and watch the hermit crab dance across the beach as the sun went down….
That evening we booked dinner for two at the hilltop restaurant, which was sparsely attended apart from a large group of Asian businessmen who became a little louder as the evening progressed. On a negative note however the food presented was, in the main, over engineered and lacked the taste experience one expects from a dining bill of 195 OMR or 400euro for 2 people. At one point my wife tried to return a dish that was unsatisfactory and the waitress left it sitting on the table returned after a few minutes and stressed that Chef said that is how it’s meant to be.
Overall we enjoyed the experience, albeit an expensive on and 2k euro for 1 night away – we would return but would not repeat the hilltop dining experience. This property is an expensive indulgence and is best enjoyed relaxing by your villa pool and the sea.

Room Tip: Choose a room located on the right hand side towards the fishing village - its quieter !
2 Thank Mannfred
Dear Mannfred

Kindly allow me to thank you for taking time to review your recent stay in October here at Six Senses Zighy Bay!

Please allow me to extend our apologies that your dining experience at Sense on the Edge did not meet your expectations. The restaurant is generally extremely popular and well reviewed by our guests. I have shared your comments with both the service team and culinary team to ensure that expectations of our guests are met at all times. We take your comments on board in the constructive manner which I am sure it was meant as. Thank you for this.

The team and I are pleased that you liked the resort, especially the butler services and facilities. I can be reached personally on the below email address to assist you in any manner for a future stay.

Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We have just completed a 5 night stay at this superb hotel. Set in a remote bay which it shares with a small Omani village, it is entirely in keeping with its surroundings. If you want 5* bling associated with comparable hotels in Dubai, this is not the place for you. Instead what you get is relaxed luxury. A place to unwind with no pretensions. Service is of a very personalised nature - we asked for cashew rather than mixed nuts in the bar one evening and the next evening they were ready and waiting for us.

The food is of a high standard - yes the Sense on the Edge restaurant is expensive but the quality of cuisine justifies this.

The spa was also of a very high standard and your dedicated butler always available should you need any assistance.

One that we will look to return to in the not too distant future.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher S
Dear Christopher S

With great pleasure I read that you had enjoyed your stay early this month. Thank you very much for your kind words. It is good to know that you were able to unwind and enjoy the setting, services and facilities. I will certainly share your review especially with the culinary and spa team.

Please feel free to contact me to facilitate your return visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay. My email can be taken from the signature below.

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Six Senses Zighy Bay is exactly what all the previous reviews have stated: it has a lovely and exclusive location, the project has been thought in every single detail to please guests, the privacy and chic rusticity of villas make a difference, the eco-responsibility ... But, and there is always a but: it is extremely expensive! And you may wonder, this guy has traveled half the world to arrive at Zighy Bay and didn't check its prices prior to his arrival? Of course I did check the prices and I understand it is exclusive and should be expensive. But I find it too expensive vis-à-vis the quality of services they are delivering. Services at Zighy Bay are not even close to those provided by other top and comparable resorts in Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and at the UAE. I won't repeat complaints already mentioned in previous reviews. I'll stress one point that happened with me (and also to a some other fellow travellers) and was a very unpleasant one. I did all my bookings through a very well known and competent Brazilian tour-operator (Tereza Peres Tours) and its correspondent in the UAE (Arabian Adventures). I booked and paid in advance the dhow cruise and Musandam mountains tour. Zighy Bay was not aware of that and the buttler wanted me to pay again what I had already paid. It took a good while and many calls - even to Brazil - and questionings until everything was finally settled. Things like that cannot happen in a resort like Six Senses Zighy Bay. And it happens a lot, as I read in many other reviews. They have 37 different nationalities working there, in the middle of the desert, away from their families, and all that is very stressful for them. But, as guests, these problems shouldn't be even noticed. We are there for relax and paying very high prices for that. We should only see smiling and happy faces, eager to demonstrate how excellent is the resort they are working for. And that is not the rule ... And that is very sad indeed. Six Senses Zighy Bay still has a long path to go before being comparable to other famous and exclusive resorts around the world. Improved training technics and continous supervision would be a good start. But, for me, once is enough.

Room Tip: I had a pool villa, which was already very good, with a loving private pool and an outside shower ri...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LuizDutraNeto
Dear luizdutraneto

I would personally like to thank you for taking time in reviewing the resort as a result of your last visit in March this year. The team and I appreciate your kind words regarding the setting and location.

Kindly allow me to apologise for the inconvenience caused as a result of a miscommunication between your travel agent and the resort. This has since been addressed as well with the team to ensure that we have all the information needed before arrival of our guests to ensure that instances such as this do not reoccur.

I do hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back either here or in one of our Six Senses Resorts. Please feel free to contact me in case I can be of any assistance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
#3 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!