“Honeymoon at Zighy Bay, Good but should have been better!”

Six Senses Zighy Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at Zighy Bay for 10 nights in September 2013 for our honeymoon. The hotel / resort was great and the location is simply amazing. The Villa, the beach and the Spa were the fantastic highlights.

We had a great time but this stay could and i think should have been quite a bit better. This was a once in a lifetime holiday for us so we were disappointed with the lack of communication between the hotel and the travel agent (Kuoni). We had booked a honeymoon package which was supposed to include complimentary full board for the bride including a signature massage and romance bath for two people, mini manicure or pedicure for the bride and a complimentary candlelit dinner and sparkling wine / canapes on arrival. The hotel was not aware of the package and it took them 3 days to confirm full board for my wife and the massages / romance bath (We never got the manicure or our candlelit dinner or sparkling wine). This was obviously very disappointing on our special holiday. I would therefore suggest that if you are visiting on a special package to contact the hotel in advance, not ideal for a world class resort!!

Another couple of points i think i should mention, if you travel on a half board basis, water will not be included with your dinner, instead the hotel makes you pay for water but gives a percentage to charity. We really didn't like this, it felt like a desperate attempt to get us to spend some money. The wine is also incredibly expensive, the cheapest bottle is £40 GBP, the identical bottle at home would cost £4.

Although the service was great, the visits by staff at breakfast (to try to sell you activities) were very frustrating and tacky and did not help my relaxation.

It was a great trip but it should have been better.

2  Thank Robert M
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Robert M

I am glad that you and your wife enjoyed the stay at the resort. I would like to thank you for your review and comments.

Kindly accept my apologies for the miscommunication between the travel agent and our resort. I will ensure that any feedback is prioritised in order for inquiries to be dealt with faster.

With regard to your comments on the selling of water during the meals, kindly note that we do provide complimentary water in the villas on a daily basis. We do sell the water to support our social and environmental initiatives. The sultanate of Oman does tax the importation of alcohol quite a bit, which is reflected in the sales price. I will review this with the concerned team again, however.

Please feel free to contact me at any time should you wish to discuss your review or if I can assist in anything further.

axel@sixsenses.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,625)

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We went there to celebrate our 4 years' anniversary and we wished we could have stayed longer. But even after one night we felt totally relaxed and rested, the room was amazing as well as our pool. We had in room afternoon dining before our sunset cruise and it was superbe & quick.
Dinned at Sense on the edge and even though our table was not at the edge we had a great time, food was great and the buttler was very knowledgeable.
The only comment I would make would be the breakfast buffet which was OK but in such a place you would expect it to be outsanding!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Genynch

Thank you for choosing Six Senses Zighy Bay for such a special occasion as you anniversary. I am glad that the team has met your expectations and that you were able to unwind already upon your arrival.

I will share your comments regarding your in-villa dining and Sense on the Edge experience with the teams. Your kind words about your butler are also highly appreciated. Your review of the breakfast buffet will be discussed with the culinary team and has been taken on board in a constructive manner. Thank you for this.

Please feel free to contact me if you would need any assistance for a future stay either at Six Senses Zighy Bay or in any of our resorts.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our third experience at Zighy Bay started off rather unluckily. Our two and a half hour transfer from the Al Maha resort in the UAE took over four and a half hours due to a puncture and our driver not being able to change the wheel which resulted in the vehicle being towed to the next garage in Dibba where we were met by another vehicle. The drive to the garage in a car with a stranger who had stopped to help was on the one side gratifying but on the other quite scary due to the lack of information and the language barrier……..but in the end all was good.

Our return to Zighy Bay was only dampened by the lack of sun. The temperature was still high but you don´t expect continual heavy clouds and occasional rain at the beginning of September in the Middle East……at least not for ten days solid.

We thought that the food had significantly improved compared to our last trip which was a pleasant surprise. We took advantage of using Sense of the Edge, the In-Villa BBQ dining as well as the Shua Shack experience which this time took place in the Spice Market restaurant instead of on the Beach. We were a little disappointed about this because we think that the effect of sitting on cushions on a low table adds to the experience. There was one unfortunate problem at the Summer House which was the arrival of wild cats for Dinner. We were very uncomfortable with sitting outside because the cats would jump up onto the seats meowing to be fed. The staff tried in vain to catch them…….NOT GOOD!!!!!

Due to the relatively bad weather my wife took ample use of the various Spa treatments, unfortunately the steam room could not be used due to a missing ordered part. Otherwise the various experiences were excellent.

The saline pool has come together very well compared to our last visit……a huge improvement with its new canopy’s which would shade you from the sun (what sun). The pool really does blend into the sandy landscape; the newly rendered surfaces are very grainy so people with expensive swimming wear be aware when sitting down, the material can easily be snagged.

Our villa was again exceptionally clean and housekeeping made a great job. Nothing was any problem. We had problems yet again with the Air conditioning in both rooms but were fixed within a couple of hours after informing reception.

Returning to Zighy Bay was for us another fantastic experience. Seeing and being greeted by many old faces as well as interacting with many new ones was positive, the friendliness and hospitality of all the staff in the resort is cheering. The Gardner’s (we thought that the landscape within the resort was immaculate), the Breakfast staff in the Spice Market and the Dinner staff in the Summer House were ALL first class.

Special thanks to Dipak and Hector at the Zighy Bar……soon to be renamed “Hectors House”, Maitre d´ Halil Asar for his knowledge and suggestions, Jimmy who served us at one of our BBQ´s and the Star of the show: Julius (Caesar) our Butler.

On a personal point it would make life so much easier if the staff with customer contact wear name badges on the chest instead of their wrist bands.

Already in contact with our Travel agent to return in 2014…….I hope that the Management can organize better weather next time.

1  Thank walkern

Dear walkern

I would like to thank you for returning to our paradise in the Sultanate of Oman. Rest assured that your review has been shared with the teams at the resort and I appreciate the comments.

Kindly allow me to apologise for the inconvenience you had upon your arrival. I have since this already spoken to our transport team to ensure that in circumstances such as this we should be able to rectify the problem on the spot or have an alternative vehicle on standby.

I would especially like to thank you for your comments regarding your dining experiences, the mention of our stars in the Zighy Bar and your kind words about the salt water pool facility. I am glad that on this return trip, we have ben able meet your expectations again. You will notice upon your return visit next year some new features and facilities, which we are in constant development to improve our services for our guests.

Please note that our hosts do wear name badges on their wrists, in the form of a bracelet. I'll highlight this to you when we see you back here.

In the meantime, I stand at your disposal for any arrangements prior to your return. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

This has got to be one of the best hotels in the Middle East; it is just incredible. Zighy Bay manages to make a rustic resort extremely luxurious. We were fortunate enough to have a villa right on the beach with a huge private pool; it was absolutely spectacular! The main pool area is also beautiful and there is a fun beach bar for cocktails and ice cream! Senses On The Edge made for a very memorable dinner with exceptional food. The drive in and out of the resort is definitely a little scary but adds to the experience and enchantment of the place! This is an incredible resort well worth the money! Like nowhere we've seen or been to before!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank CTMAC2013

Dear CTMAC2013

I would like to thank you for your very kind review of your recent stay in April of this year at the resort. The team and I very much appreciate your comments and kind review of the beach front villa, the facilities of the main pool and beach bar as well as our signature restaurant, Sense on the Edge.

We hope to welcome you back here soon. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance for a future booking either to Six Senses Zighy Bay or any of our other resorts.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have wanted to visit Six Senses Zighy Bay for some time and now that I have been I can honestly say that it lived up to, if not exceeded, all my expectations. We are lucky to have our own 4x4 and so driving over the mountains along the steep windy road was an amazing experience in itself, I think this was in fact my husbands highlight of the weekend!

We received a warm welcome on arriving at the hotel and were immediately made to feel relaxed with fresh juice and cold towels. We were quickly introduced to our private Butler (unfortunately, I forget his name) who efficiently gave us a quick tour of the resort before taking us to our villa.

Our Villa (Number 80) was amazing. We have stayed in some awesome hotels in recent years, including Al Maha and Banyan Tree RAK but I can honestly say this tops them all. Every detail is considered and the room feels like a natural haven tucked neatly into the mountains. I loved that each villa has its own bikes to be able to ride around the resort, yes our bike seats kept tipping backwards so we couldn't ride properly but that just made us laugh rather than complain like some people might!

We enjoyed dinner the first evening in the cliff top restaurant, Sense on the Edge. Although pricey we loved the food and relaxed atmosphere, and having just survived another long hot summer in Dubai we were so happy to be able to eat outside in the cool breeze! We were also delighted to find out that Zighy Bar offers 50% discount in their 'not so rush hour' between 5 and 6pm everyday on all drinks. Safe to say thats where you found us both days with a nice cold beer.

I could go on forever about all the fantastic aspects of this resort but its perhaps easier to say what the negatives were.....hmmm, nothing. And so without a doubt we will certainly be heading back here for another chilled weekend away from the big city.

1  Thank KTMR

Dear KTMR

I am pleased that you and your husband enjoyed your stay at the resort. In particular, I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the natural beauty of the resort and that your were made to feel at ease already upon your arrival. The team and I appreciate your comments and rest assured, that they will be shared with all concerned hosts of the resort.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist in any way should you wish to return to Six Senses Zighy Bay. My contact email can be taken from my signature below.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We Stayed at the six sense celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary .We arrived after a 2 hour journey from the airport ,we found the drive to the resort amazing coming down to the resort was feeling anxious at first not knowing what to expect as we were warned before that its not for the faint hearted but we were blown away by the views .When we arrived we were greeted with our own butler who looked after us through out the whole stay ,We were shown our own villa and was blown away .We were not facing the beach ,but we were very happy with our villa as we found we were very secluded and nobody overlooked us. The staff couldn't do enough for you and everyone was extremely friendly and very proffessional , we had a lovely man called buddy who was so lovely and couldn't do enough for you . We had an in billiard barbecue for our anniversary in the evening ,they really made this very special for us and we will take lots of memories back with us . We booked to est at the resturant on top of the mountain ( sense of the edge ) Amazing experience but one thing to be aware if you arrive early to watch the sunset they will offer you canepes and champagne with out looking st the menu , When we got out bill we were charged over £100 for two glasses of champagne which I found very expensive I did raise this the next day ,for the to offer the customer a price menu so you have an option to see the price before ordering . Apart from that small problem this did not affect our holiday, we loved it ,A very special place and would recommend any one to visit as its an experience , not to be missed.

Room Tip: We stayed at number 62 and loved it
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ceullos

Dear ceullos

Thank you very much for your review on your stay in August of this year at Six Senses Zighy Bay! I especially am happy that you had chosen our resort to celebrate your 25th wedding anniversary.

Your kind comments regarding your villa host, the private BBQ and Sense on the Edge team will be shared with the respective teams. I have taken your comments regarding the fact that we should inform our guests on all prices before service of, in this instance, the glasses of champagne, on board and have also discussed this with our food & beverage team. Thank you for highlighting this for us to correct.

Please do not hesitate if I can assist in any way should you wish to return to our resort of wish to visit any of our Six Senses Resorts or Spas.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

If your lifestyle demands you have to escape the paparazzi then book this now. Even the most enterprising of them couldn't find you and if they did they certainly wouldn't get over the mountain to reach you. If like me you are a mere uncelebrated mortal then you too should book now, that is if you want the ultimate hideaway.

How can a resort be a hideaway with that many rooms along one beach you might ask? Each room is actually a stone built villa - different sizes for different needs - complete with its own terrace, infinity pool and dining area. A much appreciated facility is the opportunity to have meals served "in villa" at no additional cost. And many guests seem to do this. Thus ensuring no queues for the restaurant and the resort always feeling very quiet. Similarly if you like to swim in a larger pool than your private one there are two to choose from neither over used. And the beach a wide curve of sand and proper sea waves was virtually empty!

Staff go out of their way to be exceptionally helpful. The term "butler" is used for your personal support system. This is a misnomer as your "butler" deals with everything to do with the hotel. Anything you need, any bookings, any issues, your bill....... He's like your holiday project manager and he is your right hand man throughout your stay.

Do use the activities team. If you don't see what you would like on the activities programme you only have to ask and they will do their utmost to accommodate you. We wanted a boat trip but not as long as the one advertised - no matter - Haiman (sorry about spelling) the leader of activities with no fuss provided us with what we asked for. And if you like a great walk then you MUST book Jose who is expert in the surrounding hills and takes great care of his "hikers."

If you book Zighy Bay you do so understanding that once in the resort nothing comes cheap. It is at the pricey end, but I suppose being philosophical you "gets what you pay for" and everything is indeed quality. If you have to count the pennies I doubt you could book in the first place but I would just say keep and eye on the expenses as the food bill could easily run away with you.

There is a genuine feeling of teamwork and the staff appear well led and very happy with their pay and working and living conditions. The resort director "walks the property" and is very approachable. So if you were to have a problem then you only have to speak up. We had one issue which was dealt with (by our very able butler) in a more than satisfactory manner - in fact we were delighted with the solution. So big thanks due there.

We dined at the "Sense on the Edge" but see separate review for this particular experience.....WOW!

Room Tip: The beach facing rooms have to be the aspiration but if budget prevents you will be satisfied with a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dmhLondon

Dear dmhLondon

Kindly allow me to thank you for your detailed and positive review about your recent stay in August of this year. I would like to thank you in particular for highlighting some of the team members which made a difference in your stay. The kind comments have been shared with them.

It is good to know that the hosts and I were able to meet your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to share any areas of improvement or if I can assist in helping to organise a future stay either here again or with any of our Six Senses Resorts and Spas.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
9 mi away
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
#3 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!