“Earthy luxury in a real hideaway spot”

Six Senses Zighy Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
“Earthy luxury in a real hideaway spot”
Reviewed May 30, 2008

When I first heard that every "room" at Zighy Bay is actually a villa with a private pool, I was impressed. When my partner said he'd booked a beachfront villa, that sounded even more impressive. When we finally arrived at our beach villa, my breath was truly taken away.

We spent some time googling this property before we booked our three-day stay, and couldn't find many pictures, so my review here will be short and my pictures will be many. I hope they inspire someone somewhere to take a break at this beautiful hotel.

We were met at Daba Port (Daba is the spelling for the Oman side of Dibba, the town that is, unusually, shared by the UAE emirates of Fujairah, Sharjah and the country of Oman) by a hotel vehicle, which we followed in our 4X4 over the mountain and down into Zighy Bay. [Hint: If you're driving yourself from the UAE, the port is signposted to an extent, but when you're close you'll have to look for Al Mina.]

The approach is beautiful, through a wadi and over a mountain and down a steep, winding and sometimes hair-raising path into the remote and secluded bay which the resort shares with a small fishing village.

Our "butler" showed us to our delicious villa, and from then onwards we truly felt as though we were hiding away.

Our villa created a home-from-home in an eco-friendly environment. Everything is designed with earthy materials; the villa was all stone and slate and palm leaves and water and sand and sky and beach. In our humble one-bedroom beachfront villa we had three living rooms - the indoor one, chess table and welcoming biscuit platter included, the outdoor majlis under a palm leaf roof, and the summerhouse, a raised outdoor living room which stays a degree or two cooler than the outdoor temperature.

But the home comforts were all there too, from the wifi internet access (included, no password required, one of my soapbox issues with other so-called 5-star properties around the world) to chilly airconditioning, fans, great filter coffee, a well-stocked wine fridge, the huge bath, indoor shower, outdoor shower and as many fluffy cotton towels as we could ever need.

I said I'd keep this review short, so before I upload some pictures, here are a few hints.

1. Book a beachfront villa. The extra money is well worth it, because you extend your front pool patio to include the beach and the Strait of Oman.

2. Paraglide. Don't do it as "an arrival experience", rather go down by vehicle, your own or the hotel's. But get your bearings first and then book a tandem trip with the very experienced Bulgarian paraglider Itso, at a time that will hopefully keep you in the air for closer than the 20 minutes I was promised and longer than the 4 minutes we achieved at 1600 Zighy Time!

3. Have breakfast as brunch every day. The buffet is a well-thought-out mix of Western and Arabic, and a lovely touch is being able to order from the a la carte menu for your breakfast main course. So you can have pretty much anything you want from waffles and pancakes to omelettes and eggs benedict, all beautifully designed. Don't miss the Arabic bread cooked in front of you on the Arabic station.

Okay, this review is too long already!

Pictures...

• Liked — beautiful rooms/villas/private pools
  • Disliked — constant fights with room service about espresso coffee pods; just give us the damn coffee pods!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
14 Thank ExploreFirst
SS-ZighyBay, Public Relations Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this review, May 18, 2016
Dear ExploreFirst

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for having reviewed your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay. Thank you as well for the kind words regarding the layout of the villa, the choices of your meals and the team here at the resort. We do pride ourselves in being able to offer true authentic Omani hospitality in Zighy Bay and it is with pleasure to read that this has come across to you, our guest.

I look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance in facilitating this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Who: me and my husband
When: april 26-29th 2008 (3 nights)
Occasion: trip of Oman and Dubai
Room: pool villa n.68 (no beachfront)
Other hotels of this trip: The Chedi Muscat, Raffles Dubai

PLUS
- Location and atmosphere: different, unexpected, magic, really far away from daily urban routine.
- Hotel and villas concept and design: new understated luxury, eco-friendly and super-local, but the overall resort design doesn't allow balance between frontbeach villas and second row villas.
- The spa: an oasis (..don't expect trees!) of ancient rituals, treatments high standard, good quality of products (bio brands), amazing spaces.
- Beach: 1.6km of golden soft sand (not white), but in the afternoon the sea carried unpleasant rubbish.
- Private pool: just perfect.

MINUS
- Climate in April: this is already a risky season, we had 36°C average during the day made worse by the humidity and total absence of wind. The mountais behind seem to stop the wind creating a oven-like micro climate. this has a worse impact on the second row villas.
- Service and overall management: the hotel as we all know is brand new and not finished, they still need time to find tune and provide the right level of service for these prices. We had a few problems: useless butler (I can confirm they seem to know nothing), bad organization of a very expensive private snorkeling excursion, very slow service at dining on the sand, some little misundersadings (ex. asked twice to get the snack bar refilled, never got it).
- Food: average dining experience not in line with the brand positioning, while lunch and breakfast are much better, with local dishes and really good selection of fruits/vegetable.
- Air conditioning: in our villa it was very very noisy and not adjustable, we had to call the technical people twice to adjust it a bit, still we had high speed fan in the neck all time and during the night directly on the bed.
- Overall not value: all 'extras' are crazy expensive and due to the not perfectly running machine we didn't perceive the value. Also we had a strange bad final surprise: we had to pay the transfer from the airport to the 4x4 'arrival experience'. ok, it was not a big deal, but it was not made clear during the booking.
Why should I choose an 'arrival experience' (already a buzzword, Six Senses was even awarded for it) if I have to pay 200 additional $$ for the airport transfer?

SUGGESTIONS
Go in winter (oct-march, best nov-feb), book a beachfront villa, don't expect too much from your butler, take advantage of the LIFE department without even asking the price of excursions, don't expect a gourmet dining experience and just enjoy this fabulous, amazing place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
17 Thank elghira
Dear elghira

oostduinkerke
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed in the Zighy for 10 nights in the month of April. Although the hotel wasn't completely finished yet, we had a great time.

The thing that amazed me the most, was the location. After stayed at a lot of other six senses hotels in idyllic locations, we were not to sure about this new six senses location in the mountains of Oman. Indeed there isn’t any green vegetation, but the beach is maybe the most beautiful we’ve already seen in a six senses hotel. For people who like to walk, the beach is perfect. Also the sea is great to swim in, with no rocks at all.

We had a beachfront pool villa suite, which was huge. In my opinion it’s really necessary to book for a beachfront villa, because it’s really amazing to just walk out of your villa, straight to the sea. The pool villas and pool villa suites are the rooms to go for in my opinion, unless you’re with at least four people, then you should go for the Zighy pool villas. But there is definitely no need to book a Zighy pool villa with just two people, because actually it’s just a pool villa suite with a second bedroom on the second story. I think you should avoid the deluxe pool villas, because they are much smaller then a pool villa suite, they don’t have beachfront location and they are extremely expensive (I really don’t understand why they should cost 500 euros/night more then a pool villa suite, because I would always prefer the latter).

The only small downside we think is the food. Although we had a very good dinner every night, we thought it was not up to six senses standard. But I’m quite sure their new restaurant on the hill (see picture) will be amazing and definitely up to six senses standard (opening around the first of May, I think). Bites, their fish restaurant, will take still a few months for completion (actually construction haven’t begun yet, so except completion by the end of 2008). I think you should go to the current restaurant (Dining on the Sand) especially for the barbecue dishes. When you can each daily catched grilled lobsters at 35 euros, you should not complain to much. But we thought the themes night like Italian and Wok night were not that good (although I really like these type of food).

Something they should work on too, is there butler service. It works great at other six senses (especially soneva hotels), but here it’s totally useless. You hardly see them, and they don’t know anything. At other six senses resorts they take care of the daily operations (advise and booking of spas, advice and booking of tours, reserving the table anywhere you want, …), but here they don’t do any of these things, or don’t know anything about it. But to me, that the butlers service isn’t working very well, is not a big problem for me.

But except for two or three dinners, we had an amazing stay at the Zighy. It’ an amazing hotel away from the busy UAE. In my opinion you should stay here at least 6 nights, because you really need a few days until you got totally relaxed. And if there is one thing six senses resorts manage to do, then it’s relaxation.

• Liked — lacation, beach, rooms
  • Disliked — butler service, only one of the three restaurants open
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
12 Thank fcbblue
Dear fcbblue

UK
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We stayed five nights at the Evason Hideaway at Zighy Bay. There were so many things which we found amazing and different starting from the pick up at Dubai airport. We were most impressed by our butler and room boy who were so eager to please, also being amazed by the nationalities of the staff, all of whom were obviously carefully selected.
We enjoyed our excursions (albeit pricey) and we were fortunate to have a sea front villa.
The hotel was certainly not full but we are not sure how the facilities, such as the bar and restaurant (especially the outside deli) will be able to cope with a full hotel.
During our stay a group from Volvo in Spain arrived - over 40 in number, and stayed three plus nights. They obviously dominated the hotel in terms of their numbers although they were kept separate by and large. We were disturbed by music from their Gala Night. Our view was that this was a Corporate group but the general manager said it was a "leisure" group who had stayed with Evason before!! Their behaviour was faultless but our concern was that such a group was not what one expected to find at a Hideway resort. No replies to our email to Evason HO have been forthcoming on this which is disappointing. Nevertheless, we may well return next year.

Stayed March 2008
6 Thank oastlerm
Dear oastlerm

Thank you so much for your kind review.
Errol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2008

We stayed in Zighy for 14 nights for our honeymoon at the beginning of December. We flew first class with BA from Heathrow and actually were disappointed that the flight was so short!! We could have just moved in!

The arrivals experience was as described in the other reviews on here. Absolutely impeccable and made us feel like a million dollars. Truly indulgent when someone goes and gets your luggage for you and clears your passports through immigration. We got whisked through on a buggy and were quickly ushered into the waiting limo. We were a bit bewildered with the offers of cool towels, water, crisps, cool face masks, vibrating neck pillows etc from the driver but after a few kms we were completely chilled out - so much so we actually missed most of the journey in to Oman. We transferred to the 4x4 and met our butler Fayez for the first time.

The journey over the mountain to arrive at the resort was simply breathtaking and we were overwhelmed and a bit stunned when we first pulled up at the front door to be ushered to our villa. We had villa 17 right on the sea front - a deluxe pool suite villa. Totally amazing and faultlessly clean.

We were shown round to explain how everything worked and then we literally flopped for the rest of the day after a few mohitos in the bar by the main pool.

The manager of the 'LIFE' activities came to see us later in the afternoon and they offered us a free Dhow snorkelling trip because it was our honeymoon and as they were leaving our villa, a bottle of champagne was delivered. It took us at least 4 or 5 days to just take everything in and come to terms with how wonderful everything was.

We spent most of our time lazing by the pool but took the time to do the Sundowner trip to the Arabian Desert which we would absolutely recommend and we also did a Bargain Bonanza trip to Dubai and on both occasions our guide was the same man - simply phenomenal local knowledge and fascinating stories.

The title of the review gives a clue, but basically we are not going to complain about anything because our trip was fully comp because the resort was not yet ready and when you are not paying then you don't really have a right to complain about anything. Yes there were some blips and the odd thing that you spotted that could have been more perfect but the problem is that Zighy Bay presents itself as perfection so even the smallest of nonsensical things will show up while the resort is still being polished off.

We are both foodies and the meals served to us either in the restaurant or the bar were simply divine and the only downside was the increased waistline on departure!! The staff couldn't have been more attentive - we are not the types to misuse or take advantage of service but I can imagine that some more demanding types would have a field day testing out just how far the staff would go to keep a guest happy!! We had a bit of an incident with the paragliding (nobody's fault, simply meteorological issues!) but the staff rallied round and made us feel - if it were possible - even more like members of the family, they arranged a special meal for us exclusively on top of the wine cellar tower and really pulled out all the stops.

We quite happily slipped into a daily routine of brunch and then beers and snacks in our villa during the afternoon and we were blissfully unaware of any work going on to finish villas and facilities. We passed a few workers as we walked around who were undertaking work to finish off some villas round about and we literally wouldn't have known that they were there.

We would say that some of the prices for day trips were reaching the expensive side of things from what we saw on the brochures in our villa and yes, the wine prices are a bit OTT, but we did a wine tasting session with the Sommerlier and she was just completely amazing so we would almost forgive the price for the knowledge that it's served with!

We would love to go back to Zighy Bay once it's all finished and everything is up and running, but seeing as for most of our time we were literally the only ones there, we would feel it might be a bit crowded if we were to go back and there was more than two people staying!!!!! We really don't think we would be able to recreate the same utterly exclusive atmosphere as we had on our honeymoon so maybe we will branch out to another Six Senses resort to experience another aspect of such excellent service.

We cannot recommend it highly enough and forever, the memories of our honeymoon will be made that bit more special because they were formed at Zighy Bay!

• Liked — sheer indulgence, cannot fault the standards, masses of space, FABULOUS bedding!!
  • Disliked — nothing nothing nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank superali99
Dear superali99

Thank you for your very kind review.
Suffolk,UK
Reviewed March 19, 2008

From the VIP Meet at Dubai Airport to the departure 6 days later this was the experience of a lifetime.
Tucked on a secluded bay, individual villas give all visitors the privacy they may seek.
Fantastic staff tend your every need.
Food varied and excellent.

• Liked — Arab style simplicity with space and comfort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank harrisdoug
Dear harrisdoug

Thank you so much for your kind review.
Lommedalen
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Hi!

We stayed at this wonderful resort for 8 night in the beginning of nov. 2007. It was not ready, which we were told before we arrived, but we had a wonderful stay.

The Villas har big, cozy, privat, and with a good outdoor shower - we loved the outdoor shower. We stayed in two villas. One nr. 57 (if I remember correct) - second row. Very nice Villa, and more than big enough. Then after a few days we were upgraded to a beach front Villa (number 20). It is very similiar from the other Villa, but it is a huge advantage to be in front. If you can, book the beach front.

We had some troubles with the transfer to the resort, but they did everything they could to make this good again. We got lots of free Champagne, and a fantastic dinner in our Villa. The Sommeliere, Maria, were with us the whole time, and winelovers like us had an excellent time. We talked to Maria nearly every day, and she is really a great Sommeliere with lots of interest in her work.

We had dinners "everywere" - villa (2x), in the bar (great - like to sit outside, and the waiter from Sri Lankan is just super!), inside the main restaurant, in the Deli (lunsj restaurant), by the pool, and on the beach. Superb!!!

The other staff we met was also very good! We were on a trip with two guys from Nepal up in the montain. I can really recommend this. The had great knowledge about the area, and we had great fun.

We would really like to go back there. The hiltop restaurant must be excellent, and since we didn't do the paragliding, we have to go back.

If you are into shopping this place is not the ideal place to go. I would recommend to have 1 or 2 nights for shopping in Dubai, and then go to Zighy Bay for relaxation.

PS: The weather in the beginning of november was superb. Not to hot, but hot enoughy to have eaving dinners outside:-)

• Liked — Fantastic location
  • Disliked — Problems with transfer
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Lommedalen
Dear Lommedalen

Thank you for your very kind review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
Royal Beach Hotel & Resort
#3 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!