When I first heard that every "room" at Zighy Bay is actually a villa with a private pool, I was impressed. When my partner said he'd booked a beachfront villa, that sounded even more impressive. When we finally arrived at our beach villa, my breath was truly taken away.
We spent some time googling this property before we booked our three-day stay, and couldn't find many pictures, so my review here will be short and my pictures will be many. I hope they inspire someone somewhere to take a break at this beautiful hotel.
We were met at Daba Port (Daba is the spelling for the Oman side of Dibba, the town that is, unusually, shared by the UAE emirates of Fujairah, Sharjah and the country of Oman) by a hotel vehicle, which we followed in our 4X4 over the mountain and down into Zighy Bay. [Hint: If you're driving yourself from the UAE, the port is signposted to an extent, but when you're close you'll have to look for Al Mina.]
The approach is beautiful, through a wadi and over a mountain and down a steep, winding and sometimes hair-raising path into the remote and secluded bay which the resort shares with a small fishing village.
Our "butler" showed us to our delicious villa, and from then onwards we truly felt as though we were hiding away.
Our villa created a home-from-home in an eco-friendly environment. Everything is designed with earthy materials; the villa was all stone and slate and palm leaves and water and sand and sky and beach. In our humble one-bedroom beachfront villa we had three living rooms - the indoor one, chess table and welcoming biscuit platter included, the outdoor majlis under a palm leaf roof, and the summerhouse, a raised outdoor living room which stays a degree or two cooler than the outdoor temperature.
But the home comforts were all there too, from the wifi internet access (included, no password required, one of my soapbox issues with other so-called 5-star properties around the world) to chilly airconditioning, fans, great filter coffee, a well-stocked wine fridge, the huge bath, indoor shower, outdoor shower and as many fluffy cotton towels as we could ever need.
I said I'd keep this review short, so before I upload some pictures, here are a few hints.
1. Book a beachfront villa. The extra money is well worth it, because you extend your front pool patio to include the beach and the Strait of Oman.
2. Paraglide. Don't do it as "an arrival experience", rather go down by vehicle, your own or the hotel's. But get your bearings first and then book a tandem trip with the very experienced Bulgarian paraglider Itso, at a time that will hopefully keep you in the air for closer than the 20 minutes I was promised and longer than the 4 minutes we achieved at 1600 Zighy Time!
3. Have breakfast as brunch every day. The buffet is a well-thought-out mix of Western and Arabic, and a lovely touch is being able to order from the a la carte menu for your breakfast main course. So you can have pretty much anything you want from waffles and pancakes to omelettes and eggs benedict, all beautifully designed. Don't miss the Arabic bread cooked in front of you on the Arabic station.
Okay, this review is too long already!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The eighteen acres self-contained Zighy Bay is set on a 1 mile (1.6 Kilometers) stretch of sandy beach fringed with rugged dramatic mountains and sea at the northern peninsula of Musandam. It features some of the most beautiful sandy beaches of Zighy Bay, temperate climate both summer and winter including an award-winning Six Senses Spa and Wellness Centre spanned over more than 20,450 square feet (1,900 square meters). As the first Six Senses resort in Middle East, Six Senses Zighy Bay blends exceptional guest experiences with a unique style - authentic, personal, adapt seamlessly to Middle East especially to Omani cultures, sustainable and in harmony with individual surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Six Senses Zighy Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Six Senses Zighy Bay Hotel Zighy Bay
- 6 Senses Zighy Bay
- Zighy Bay Six Senses Hideaway