“Outstanding!”

Six Senses Zighy Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My Boyfriend and I were overwhelmed with Zighy Bay. It was truly amazing from start to finish. The location and our beachfront villa were beautiful, not forgetting the crystal clear sea and sand. The service was second to none, we have never felt so welcomed in a destination before! It was my Birthday AND we got Engaged which of course made it even more special. I would highly recommend Zighy Bay and I will definitely be visiting again.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the beachfront villa! More private and you have your own beach!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Kimberly C,

Thank you very much for your review, and a great big congratulations from the team on your engagement! It is truly wonderful to read of such a memorable experience in our resort.

We hope you will again come back to us, and please let me know if I can ever assist.

gm-zighy@sixsenses.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,647)

999 - 1,005 of 1,647 reviews

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Myself, husband and 8 year old daughter made the very long trip from NJ to Oman over Easter break. Upon arrival I "paraglided" into the resort. It was so much fun and the scenery was amazing. The resort was busy but you would never know it. Tons of kids and my daughter had a blast. We felt so safe that our daughter would just run around and just check in with us at the beach every so often. They had an amazing kids club with tons of activities that kept her busy. The food was incredible, fresh and tons of healthy but amazingly yummy options.We had a pool villa that was beautiful and so comfortable. The roaming goats are adorable and if you forget to close your gate to your villa they love to come and visit. The staff bent over backwards for us and every day I would see the GM walking the beach talking to guests and even stopping to chat with the kids who were playing in the sand. We really loved the resort and recommend SKIPPING Dubai, just land in Dubai and go right to the resort.....This is our 4th Six Senses resort we have visited and they never fail to amaze us!

Room Tip: We were not beachfront but they looked AMAZING..ours was beautiful thou and just a quick walk to the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lala724
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Lala724,

Thank you very much for your glowing review of our resort. Families and fun are definitely two points to which we pride ourselves, and it seems you have enjoyed them both.

It is also of particular note your dedication to our brand. Please let me know personally if I can assist with any future reservations, in Zighy Bay or otherwise.

Many thanks,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My 3rd stay at Zighy Six Sense. Always is lovely to be at the beach front villas. Its worth the extra money because villas at the back arent as lovely nor as private.
This time went with my 2 kids. Great mini swim area for my 3 year old.
Stay was better. A/C's were in a much better working condition than my previous stays (Villa 16).
Check-in extremely fast. Check-out extremely fast.

What went wrong ? The in-villa dining wasn't as good. served cold soggy chips twice.
Most disturbing thing that happened was, on my 2nd night, when getting served with the in-villa ining, he handed me a paper/letter saying that they will pickup my luggage at 11:30 AM - and check out at 11:45. I thought that was very unprofessional and a bit rude for a stay thats nearly $1000 per night.

At day of the check-out, (checked out at 10 am), when i placed call for the buggy to pick us up, a staff member showed up, asked to check the mini bar. He did, then he asked me twice if anything was consumed, i repeated No & No. While he was leaving the room, he decided to close the door, and go back in, and started going through all the trash cans in the room and bathroom in-front of us, looking for cans/bottles ....after he checked the minibar. ??? It was unbelievably rude and disgusting - going through a full days of trash ...?! Shame.

Dont understand what happened to the staff this time (a year since my last visit).

Room Tip: Don't take anything other than the beachfront Villas.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank khaled_altamimi
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear khaled_altamimi,

Thank you very much for your review and your return to Six Senses Zighy Bay resort. We value your constructive comments highly. Kindly accept my sincere apologies; I can assure you that I have already shared your feedback to our respective Teams with the intent to ensure this does not ever happen again.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back in order for us to regain your faith in the resort. Please feel free to contact me directly under gm-zighy@sixsenses.com should you wish to discuss your stay further and should I be of any assistance.

With kind regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

After the long 2 hour drive from Dubai, Zingy Bay was a welcome sight.
It truly is a Hideaway resort.

We were delighted that our beachfront pool villa suite was ready (even thought we checked in early).
Having stayed at a Six Senses resort before, we knew what to expect in terms of decor - although I would say a little more rustic than I'd like.

The spa and its staff was great, never too busy.

The room service was good but a little slow.

Activities on offer were slightly limited due to location. The dhow cruise was a let down as was
the fishing trip but paragliding & microlight flight was very good, great guy looking after us.
The diving also was a bit disappointing.

We chose not to eat at the restaurant on-top of the hill, simply because the menu wasn't that interesting. The other 2 restaurants were ok.

The privacy between villas could be improved, didn't really appreciate being spied upon!

Generally a good experience, if I'm being very critical then I'd say the butler needed more training & maybe ensure drivers have had a wash before embarking on a 2 hour drive with guests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mads4

Dear Mads4,

Thank you for your helpful review. You have marked some very important feedback points, and I wish you had shared them during your stay. Some of your feedback I have never read before (such as the poor diving experience and the unappetizing menu at Sense on the Edge). It would be appreciated if you could reach out and explain further.

Overall your experience seems positive, and I hope to have the chance to again welcome you into our resort.

If I can be of any assistance with a future reservation, please let me know.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Had a fabulous week here. Everything was excellent and we were there "off season" so there were some real treats - for example, although we had our own pool, when we went in the main pool there was never anyone else in it! No-one on the beach except us, no waiting for anything anywhere, attentive service, champagne for free (the odd glass - at least each day!).
We had a fantastic time.
Only real issue, which was nothing to do with the hotel was the driver on the way back to the airport - stopped for energy drinks as he was tired and then drove into the back of someone else at the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear gibsona,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate that you have taken the time online to recount your experience.

From our research we understand that the driver was, as you mention, not an employee of our resort. Regardless, we are concerned for your safety from arrival throughout departure. If you would like to discuss further the event, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have just returned from a 'supposed' luxurious weekend at Zighy Bay- however, this definitely was not the case for us. I don't even know where to begin but here goes;

1 Dinner took over an hour to arrive and one of the dishes was wrong- then stupidly we ordered dessert which again took 40 mins and again one of our choices was 'out of stock' but it took 40 mins for them to inform us! Plus the food was average at best.
2. It took them 3 hours to clear lunch plates from our villa after we called
3. The villa attendant was 'over- friendly' and was happy to hang around in the bathroom while my two Children were in the bath- telling me the bath was too full!!
4. The villa pool was like bath water and when we spoke to our butler he made some excuse about the weather being too hot to cope with cooling the pool.

This is just a few of the very disappointing encounters we had. If you are willing to pay £900 a night for a 2 bed villa then I suggest you have a serious look around!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank SamMid684
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear SamMid684,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I personally wish to express my apologies for the inconveniences caused during your stay. I had reviewed, already upon your departure, the comments you had shared with the our Executive Assistant Manager and addressed these points directly with the relevant departments.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Six Senses Zighy Bay in the future in order to re-instill your faith in the resort. Please feel free to contact me directly in order to discuss the issues you had encountered. You may contact me on my email: gm-zighy@sixsenses.com at your convenience. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your return visit.
With kind regards

Reviewed June 1, 2013

A return to Zighy Bay in Oman and its 40 Degree temperatures was a welcome change from the terrible weather in Europe. The flight with Emirates from Frankfurt was good and on time but getting through Dubai Airport seems to take an eternity. Pick-up and the 2 hour drive went without a hitch. On our arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome back and were offered cold towels and a cold drink and were then whisked away to our Villa as all our details were still on file. A complimentary Sandwich and cold Mezze was waiting for us in our Villa. The Villa decor had not changed, just the wobbly furniture needed pieces of folded paper placed under their legs……all good.
After a good night’s sleep we headed off to the Spice Market for our Breakfast. For our entire stay we really enjoyed our Breakfast experiences. Afterwards we walked down to look at the Saline pool which was being built when we were last here; it was a feature that we were looking to use.

The Saline Pool: We don´t really know what to say……our first experience was absolutely dreadful; the pool was stagnant and full of Algae, it looked like a Bio-hazard. We were very perplexed and we wondered if this natural state was normal or the pool was really dirty. There is a large pool with 2 islands and 3 smaller pools which are attached to the main pool and are used as feeder and run-offs. They all have sloping sides so they can only be accessed by the steps. We returned again the following morning after breakfast and the pool was exactly the same. That evening we attended the Shua Shack Dinner which is situated next to the pool, as we were leaving some guys started putting up signs saying that the pool was closed for maintenance. On the third morning we walked down to find a small army of people cleaning it. We finally took the plunge on our fourth day and really enjoyed it walking the complete length of the beach twice daily to use it. During our entire stay we saw a total of 5 people in the pool, it is so peaceful …….until the Microlight decides to take-off.
We think the pool is a natural extension to the facility; it is new and will probably need time to bed in but it will require attention on a regular basis as the rendered walls are already cracking and the Algae is already returning, unless this is really the natural look the Management are looking for.

Shua Shack Dinner: A definite highlight for a Monday night but needs to be booked through your Butler as there is limited seating. There are two packages which offer an experience of Arabic dining; you sit on cushions on the sand on a table for 4. The meal includes hot and cold Mezzes, the Omani Shau Lamb which is cooked underground, dessert, soft drinks and water. The costs are 35++ OMR or 49++ OMR which includes Lebanese wine and beer. If you are on half-board you will be credited.

Prices ++: You will find that all prices will have the so called ++ (Plus, Plus) factor. This is 9% Government Tax and 8.4% Service Charge. People on half-board will be credited. When you sign your restaurant bills and you have been eating à la carte or specialty dining then you will notice a 30 OMR per person reduction. Our welcoming letter from the General Manager states a credit of 35 OMR, we found this a little confusing.

Sense on the Edge: Booked for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Our Butler picked us up at our villa at 19:45 and took us to reception were a car was waiting to take us up the mountain. On arrival we were not meet so we made our way into the restaurant, we waited but there was nobody to be seen so we walked outside, down the steps towards the tables when somebody came hurrying after us. We were shown to our table and chose the 3 course menu which was 45++ OMR, thinking that we would have the 5 course on Saturday. A couple sat down on the next table to us and started instantly phoning somebody in a very loud voice. The food was good but again additional lighting is required to see your food. Just a small note for cheese lovers, an additional charge of 15++ OMR will be made if you choose this dish. During our meal and after the third phone call I asked our waiter if he could ask our neighbors if they had to use their phone over dinner. The waiter told us it was their Anniversary and that they were talking to their children and did nothing. After the fourth telephone call I decided to say something loudly to my wife. When the phone went for the fifth time the gentleman left the table to take his call.
We cancelled our table for Friday and Saturday.

BBQ - In Villa Dining: This was most definitely the culinary highlight of our trip. This again was booked through our Butler. There is a choice of various menus which cost either 55 or 60++ OMR, your half-board credit of 30++ OMR is discounted.
The guys came and set everything up at 19:30 and we were ready to go at 20:30. There were 2 waiters and the Chef. Sitting at our table on the sand with all the ambient lighting and candles around the pool and in the sand was magical. We used a bottle of wine from the villa fridge and were surprisingly offered Pellegrino water instead of the normal Six Senses water which is standard within the resort……very strange, doesn´t fit in with the Six Senses philosophy. All the food was freshly cooked, well presented and tasted great.

In Villa Dining: Is a great service when the phone works. We used this service a couple of times; I always had to walk up to reception and order our food, they have a large selection. Delivery was very quick and was set up in our villa. Like all the food at Six Senses, it´s very good.

Zighy Bar: Good service and a large selection of cocktails. Happy hour “No Rush Hour” is from 17:00 – 18:00 and 21:00 – 22:00. Try the Iced spice cocktail with fresh Chili……WOW!!!

Spa: A beautiful location with professional consultants. My wife booked an initial 60 Min. Tsiasu massage which was great and we were very kindly offered a complimentary massage for us both as returning guests. After our massage we were shown to a relaxation room with various loungers and were offered hot Ginger tea……Great!
One small point is that you look out through 2 large windows which are pretty grimy probably due to the heat and condensation, this needs to be addressed. We returned to the Steam and Cold rooms, the experience was relaxing and very beneficial.

Service and hospitality: Again, we cannot praise the staff of Six Senses highly enough. The friendliest people I have found from such a wide background of cultures in a very long time. We did however think that there were fewer staff as compared to our last trip. Special thanks to our Butler Poonim who accompanied our stay and was always on hand to answer our questions. Our housekeeper Kashi, made our stay very special, nothing was any trouble for him and Isaline Goy whom we saw only once this trip but made us very welcome last time (good luck with the Baby).

Final thoughts: On a negative point we did find an increased lack of respect from other guests in various locations within the complex e.g loud music coming from adjoining villas, the increased use of mobile phones in all of the restaurants and bar as well as complete lack of dress sense in the restaurants for dinner. The crowning glory was seeing a guest in the Spice Market with a plate in each hand, speaking on his phone which was lodged between his ear and shoulder, dressed in shorts, muscle shirt, baseball cap and flip-flops with the Maitre d´ who was in charge of our Sense on the Edge telephoning experience only 3 feet away…….very disappointing. These things I believe must be addressed by senior management if they are to hold onto their high standards.
In my personal opinion the Microlight does nothing for the credibility of Six Senses philosophy in the area of Carbon neutral and why does the pilot need to fly along the beach before landing. Next you will be having Banana rides.
The seals on the Six Senses water which were in our Villa are a nice touch, maybe they can be implemented in the Restaurants.
The initials assigned to our bikes and not just the Villa number was classy.
None of the negative points detracted anything away from our stay, we thoroughly enjoy Six Senses Zighy Bay; we adore the service, the picturesque setting, the Villa, the relaxation and the quiet. We hope that our constructive comments will be taken on board and make our return visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay an even better one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank walkern

Dear walkern,

Thank you very much for writing such a detailed and honest review. You have hit many key elements, and I am delighted to inform you that each of your points is already addressed:

Saltwater Pool - we are resealing the pool as we speak and it will reopen again after the Holy Month of Ramadan, also with a service bar.

Lighting at Sense on the Edge - an issue we are also fixing during the summer at the same time as renovating the kitchen.

Mobile phones - we ask guests on the welcome letter to leave mobiles in the villa, as well as inform of the dress policy. Clearly this is not sufficient, and our Management team will better address this.

Half Board credit - I will review the communication of the welcome letter. Indeed the credit is 30 OMR prior to tax and service charge.

It is particularly returning guests such as yourselves that encourage us to continue offering exceptional experiences. Thank you again for your feedback, and I will put it into action. If I can personally assist with your next reservation, please let me know.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Zighy Bay
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Muscat Dunes Hotel
Muscat Dunes Hotel
#33 of 63 in Muscat

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!