My husband and I just returned from a fantastic 6 night stay at Zighy Bay. There are lots of things that this hotel does well (really well infact) and others that are just not quite up to the same standard that you would expect. On a really positive note, we really got the feeling that the management team here care about the property and are very keen to receive feedback and improve the areas that are underperforming today. As such hopefully in a few months this resort will be truly top notch.
If you're in Dubai and fancy staying somewhere different to the usual hotels then I'd definitely recommend giving this a try as the setting is absolutely stunning and the staff are wonderful.
To start I'd like to touch on a few things that we read on Trip Advisor before arriving and provide our thoughts:
1. The drive in. Yes, the road is rugged, windy and steep. Yes, I had my eyes closed on parts coming in. Yes, I was VERY glad that I was in a 4x4 and not doing the driving. But once I realised that the drivers go up and down this road all day long bringing guests to the resort, and go up and down all night to the restaurant at the top I relaxed a lot. It's definitely not something that should put you off coming here, but I'd recommend arranging the hotel transfer to and from Dubai airport. The drives are excellent and the cars very comfortable.
2. Noisy families. Given we are kiddie free I was a little nervous about the reviews before arriving here. However I can honestly say with the exception of one day round the main pool we were not disturbed in the slightest. If you're a couple and planning to go here I'd actually recommend a villa without a beach front/sea view as these villas are a little smaller and less likely to have families in them.
3. Food prices. Yes, the food is very expensive at the resort (typical Dubai/Oman hotel prices). We arranged half board through our travel agent which softened the blow as we didn't look at costs continually in the evenings. The hotel gives those on half board a credit towards food in your room and at any of the restaurants which provided us with lots of flexibility. Breakfasts are AMAZING - more of that later. On our first night we ordered a glass of wine at dinner which was more a tasting measure than a glass full, which at >£10 a glass was a joke, but this was waiter specific as the other nights the glass sizes were much more reasonable.
The best bits in our opinion:
1. Setting. Stunning location, beautiful beach (re the reviews that mention oil on the beach, we spotted a tiny bit once but it was no big deal when we were there)
2. Environmentally friendly. Loved the 'green book' in the room explaining what Zighy Bay is doing from an environmental perspective. Not having bottles of water in the resort was nice. Lots of free filtered water available (tip if you think it tastes weird is to add lemons/other fruit to it - makes it much nicer!)
3. Breakfast. Hands down the best hotel breakfast I have ever had. Loved the selection of nuts and seeds that you could add to cereals.
4. Tapas selection at 3pm in the bar was a great idea and helped to tide us over to dinner time.
5. Happy hour in the bar was great, as were the managers drinks which happened to fall on our wedding anniversary. Thank you!
6. Cinema on the beach twice a week is fantastic.
7. Tennis court is in great condition and there are lots of balls and rackets to borrow for free
8. Gym is well equipped for a secluded beach hotel with good music.
10. Yoga setting is stunning
11. Our butler was very helpful and arranged everything that we asked her to (thanks Lek!)
12. Housekeeping was excellent. We also completed our preferences form before arriving and none of the things had been arranged in the room before we arrived. But I filled the form out on the first day and the items were delivered at turndown. Loved the lemongrass shower gel!
13. Coffee facilities in room excellent
14. The cake they provided for our anniversary was delicious, thanks!
15. Activity program is good with lots of things arranged throughout the day
16. Our deep tissue massages were excellent.
The worst bits/things we think could be improved:
1. Activity charges. The activities that had a cost attached to them were extremely expensive. e.g. £40 per person for 45 mins group yoga and £80 per person for a group 3 hour hike!!! Not clear whey activities were generally free of charge during the week e.g. yoga but had a cost at weekends. Such a shame.
2. Food quality. Some of the food was excellent and some was a bit hit and miss. e.g. some of the grilled food delivered to our room was overcooked and dry, but the same dishes were delicious when ordered in the restaurant. My dishes in Summer House predominantly tasted of butter (I ordered chicken risotto) but maybe I just picked badly...
3. Filtered water is free of charge in the rooms, and yet has a $2 cost at lunch and dinner. In the green book in the room it explains that 50% of this cost goes to charity. However, if you haven't read this it's a bit confusing as to why there is a cost for this at all at meal times. I'd suggest changing this to a bread & water 'cover charge' and explaining on the bill about the charity donation just to prevent confusion.
4. Our bed was not very comfortable. (We'd just come from Al Maha which had the most comfortable beds ever!). It sagged in the middle and our pillows were really disappointing. I kept ordering different pillows from the pillow menu but they didn't seem to arrive. On the whole I didn't sleep brilliantly while I was there which was a shame.
5. The steam room in the ladies changing room of the spa was not working properly and there was mould/dirt on the walls. Really needs repairing/some TLC.
6. The lights by the vanity area in the room were really dim and hard to see to put make up on/take contact lenses out. Suggest maybe installing a small make up mirror with light attached?
Please don't let these 6 things put you off staying here. It really is a beautiful resort with wonderful staff. We just wanted to mention them as think the management will appreciate the feedback and tips.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The eighteen acres self-contained Zighy Bay is set on a 1 mile (1.6 Kilometers) stretch of sandy beach fringed with rugged dramatic mountains and sea at the northern peninsula of Musandam. It features some of the most beautiful sandy beaches of Zighy Bay, temperate climate both summer and winter including an award-winning Six Senses Spa and Wellness Centre spanned over more than 20,450 square feet (1,900 square meters). As the first Six Senses resort in Middle East, Six Senses Zighy Bay blends exceptional guest experiences with a unique style - authentic, personal, adapt seamlessly to Middle East especially to Omani cultures, sustainable and in harmony with individual surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Six Senses Zighy Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Six Senses Zighy Bay Hotel Zighy Bay
- 6 Senses Zighy Bay
- Zighy Bay Six Senses Hideaway