“Lovely hotel....just a few too many small issues to be excellent”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a fantastic 6 night stay at Zighy Bay. There are lots of things that this hotel does well (really well infact) and others that are just not quite up to the same standard that you would expect. On a really positive note, we really got the feeling that the management team here care about the property and are very keen to receive feedback and improve the areas that are underperforming today. As such hopefully in a few months this resort will be truly top notch.

If you're in Dubai and fancy staying somewhere different to the usual hotels then I'd definitely recommend giving this a try as the setting is absolutely stunning and the staff are wonderful.

To start I'd like to touch on a few things that we read on Trip Advisor before arriving and provide our thoughts:
1. The drive in. Yes, the road is rugged, windy and steep. Yes, I had my eyes closed on parts coming in. Yes, I was VERY glad that I was in a 4x4 and not doing the driving. But once I realised that the drivers go up and down this road all day long bringing guests to the resort, and go up and down all night to the restaurant at the top I relaxed a lot. It's definitely not something that should put you off coming here, but I'd recommend arranging the hotel transfer to and from Dubai airport. The drives are excellent and the cars very comfortable.
2. Noisy families. Given we are kiddie free I was a little nervous about the reviews before arriving here. However I can honestly say with the exception of one day round the main pool we were not disturbed in the slightest. If you're a couple and planning to go here I'd actually recommend a villa without a beach front/sea view as these villas are a little smaller and less likely to have families in them.
3. Food prices. Yes, the food is very expensive at the resort (typical Dubai/Oman hotel prices). We arranged half board through our travel agent which softened the blow as we didn't look at costs continually in the evenings. The hotel gives those on half board a credit towards food in your room and at any of the restaurants which provided us with lots of flexibility. Breakfasts are AMAZING - more of that later. On our first night we ordered a glass of wine at dinner which was more a tasting measure than a glass full, which at >£10 a glass was a joke, but this was waiter specific as the other nights the glass sizes were much more reasonable.

The best bits in our opinion:
1. Setting. Stunning location, beautiful beach (re the reviews that mention oil on the beach, we spotted a tiny bit once but it was no big deal when we were there)
2. Environmentally friendly. Loved the 'green book' in the room explaining what Zighy Bay is doing from an environmental perspective. Not having bottles of water in the resort was nice. Lots of free filtered water available (tip if you think it tastes weird is to add lemons/other fruit to it - makes it much nicer!)
3. Breakfast. Hands down the best hotel breakfast I have ever had. Loved the selection of nuts and seeds that you could add to cereals.
4. Tapas selection at 3pm in the bar was a great idea and helped to tide us over to dinner time.
5. Happy hour in the bar was great, as were the managers drinks which happened to fall on our wedding anniversary. Thank you!
6. Cinema on the beach twice a week is fantastic.
7. Tennis court is in great condition and there are lots of balls and rackets to borrow for free
8. Gym is well equipped for a secluded beach hotel with good music.
10. Yoga setting is stunning
11. Our butler was very helpful and arranged everything that we asked her to (thanks Lek!)
12. Housekeeping was excellent. We also completed our preferences form before arriving and none of the things had been arranged in the room before we arrived. But I filled the form out on the first day and the items were delivered at turndown. Loved the lemongrass shower gel!
13. Coffee facilities in room excellent
14. The cake they provided for our anniversary was delicious, thanks!
15. Activity program is good with lots of things arranged throughout the day
16. Our deep tissue massages were excellent.

The worst bits/things we think could be improved:
1. Activity charges. The activities that had a cost attached to them were extremely expensive. e.g. £40 per person for 45 mins group yoga and £80 per person for a group 3 hour hike!!! Not clear whey activities were generally free of charge during the week e.g. yoga but had a cost at weekends. Such a shame.
2. Food quality. Some of the food was excellent and some was a bit hit and miss. e.g. some of the grilled food delivered to our room was overcooked and dry, but the same dishes were delicious when ordered in the restaurant. My dishes in Summer House predominantly tasted of butter (I ordered chicken risotto) but maybe I just picked badly...
3. Filtered water is free of charge in the rooms, and yet has a $2 cost at lunch and dinner. In the green book in the room it explains that 50% of this cost goes to charity. However, if you haven't read this it's a bit confusing as to why there is a cost for this at all at meal times. I'd suggest changing this to a bread & water 'cover charge' and explaining on the bill about the charity donation just to prevent confusion.
4. Our bed was not very comfortable. (We'd just come from Al Maha which had the most comfortable beds ever!). It sagged in the middle and our pillows were really disappointing. I kept ordering different pillows from the pillow menu but they didn't seem to arrive. On the whole I didn't sleep brilliantly while I was there which was a shame.
5. The steam room in the ladies changing room of the spa was not working properly and there was mould/dirt on the walls. Really needs repairing/some TLC.
6. The lights by the vanity area in the room were really dim and hard to see to put make up on/take contact lenses out. Suggest maybe installing a small make up mirror with light attached?

Please don't let these 6 things put you off staying here. It really is a beautiful resort with wonderful staff. We just wanted to mention them as think the management will appreciate the feedback and tips.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tripreviewerLondon
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback is much appreciated and has been shared with all our hosts.

Glad to know that you loved the wonderful location and the friendly unobtrusive service of our team. Environmentally friendly approach is indeed a highlight of the concept and am very glad that you are appreciative of the efforts being taken.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Six Senses Zighy Bay, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

I have taken special note of the points mentioned in your feedback which we did not quite match your expectations. Please be assured that this has been duly noted and it will be our earnest effort to ensure that we are able to overcome these challenges to make sure that we achieve total guest satisfaction for all our guests.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Six Senses Zighy Bay soon!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I'm a little late posting this feedback as I visited Zighy Bay back in September with my Partner on the recommendation of friends who had previously visited twice. I can't add much more to what has already been said about Zighy Bay - only to point out that as two strict Vegetarians we had absolutely no problem at all finding an abundance of choice of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We were even offered our own wonderful taster menu to go with the Wine Tasting at Senses on the Edge but chose not to take up this option on this ocassion and save it for a return trip. All the talk about how expensive the Resort is makes me smile, don't people realise that everything has to be imported and brought a long way to this wonderful secluded resort, I personally am happy to pay more for this especially as the service was excellent. So what more can I add? well not a lot so let me just thank key personell who made our stay that extra bit special - Isaline Goy for taking time out of her busy schedule on a daily basis to express a personal interest in her guests, Purna whose smile everytime I saw him was such a delight and the abundance of fresh Ginger Tea he provided when he heard me coughing and the there was Arjun who kept our Villa spotless and also kept us up to date on the Cricket scoresl - this is to name but a few. If you are lucky enough to visit Zighy Bay, then take the time to talk the people who work there, they all have interesting backgrounds and have clearly been chosen to work there for a reason. I have to say the pre-visit questionnarie re pillow choice etc was not in evidence which a few visitors have mentioned so perhaps the Management might like to review this.

Room Tip: Having seen how little privacy you have in a Beach Villa I'm not sure they are worth the extra...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mjcYorkshire

Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback is much appreciated and we do take all feedback in the right earnestness it deserves. The pre-visit questionnaire of preference including pillow choice should certainly have been followed up on. I am surprised to note that this was not done for your stay. I do apologize for this single lapse in service.

We would like to thank you once again for the positive comments made and do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Six Senses Zighy Bay soon!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Six Senses Zighy Bay exceeded our very high expectations. We both consider ourselves to be very fortunate to have stayed at some of the leading resorts of the world.

We were in desperate need of rest, relaxation and an opportunity to reconnect and Six Senses Zighy Bay provided us with a perfect setting to do just this.

Our experience at Zighy Bay was indeed magical and really magnificent! Our every need was anticipated, from the moment we boarded the car to the resort until our departure 7 days later. The level of service was impeccable, delivered with genuine passion and commitment which ensured us to having a truly wonderful stay.

The scenery was awe-inspiring and it literally felt like you were transitioning to another surrealistic world. The view from above the Hajar mountain into the bay is indeed stunning!

We also thoroughly enjoyed our private plunge pool. We loved the outdoor shower and the walk on the beach in the morning.

The Sense on the Edge restaurant is magically poised 293 mtrs. above the bay nestled in the towering Hajar mountain top! Words cannot really do proper justice to the breathtaking view and ambience! It really has to be seen to be believed!

I could go on for hours more..... In summary, Six Senses Zighy Bay is indeed a place not to be missed. It is beauty personified! It provided us with escapism from the real world. It was a moment to stop, reflect, consolidate, exhale, and be fully indulged into this magical rejuvenation par excellence. It also allowed us the perfect opportunity to feel alive again!

Throughout my stay, we genuinely felt very lucky and appreciative to have found this very special place – thank you Trip Advisor – filled with so many genuine/special people. It is certainly a piece of heaven and one that I would encourage everyone to experience at least once. It really is too good to miss!

The very moment we left we vowed to return as soon as possible. Thank you all for an unequivocally unforgettable experience! We will return!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank trphrling
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Your feedback is much appreciated and has been shared with all our hosts.

Glad to know that you loved the Sense on the Edge fine dine restaurant as well as the entire facilities and services of our.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

The weather is so perfect now and almost felt like royalty during the visit to this amazing little paradise of a resort - Six Senses Zighy Bay in Oman..... Right from the location which is stunningly exotic.... to the rustic charm of the villas which are huge and spacious.... to the personalized services of the Butler..... to the amazing cuisine at Sense on the Edge.... and out of the world luxury treatment at the Six Senses Spa.... One really could not ask for more....

So if anyone is looking for a great relaxed holiday.... head nowhere else.... we did.... and will do in future too.....

Room Tip: The beachfront villas are worth every penny... go for it....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the generous compliments and we are delighted to know that you loved the location, design and level of service during your recent stay.

The unique location, spacious villas, serene atmosphere, wonderful team of hosts and imaginative friendly service does make the stay very enjoyable for all our guests. I am glad to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted to read your kindhearted comments and the team at Zighy Bay is already looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

We do hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back so that you can experience all the services and facilities as expected of us.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Having seen many glowing reviews for this resort on Tripadvisor, we thought we were in for a treat when booking our anniversary weekend away at Zighy Bay. And given the astronomical prices, my husband and I both had high expectations.

Positives
- the villas are spacious and beautiful
- the in-villa dining experience was lovely - good food, nice set up with candles and they came back promptly to clear up once we were done.

Everything else

- Bugs: The resort has a very rustic style which is quaint, however it was a little too rustic for my liking given the number of bugs! I came back with more bug-bites than I do when visiting India! We asked for a burning incense to hopefully deter the bugs in an non-invasive manner (which we understand is the ethos of the resort), but none was provided.

- Dietary requirements: We had booked several weeks in advance noting that we were vegetarian and asking for information on how our dietary requirement could be catered for. Despite initial assurances that there would be no problem (there really should not have been!), on arrival we were told that the lunch option was salad and the dinner option was … salad. When we asked to see the chef to explain our dietary requirements, we were told he was too busy to see us! After insisting several times, we finally managed to get our simple request for some more substantive vegetarian options recognized and addressed.

- Pre-visit information: Prior to the date of our trip, we were asked to provide passport copies and visa details to allow for special passes to be prepared to get us speedily through the UAE/Oman border. Although all that information was provided, no such special passes were arranged, which led to a delay at the border whilst the security checked our booking form. In addition, Zighy Bay provide a list at the time of booking with a pillow menu, a choice of fragrances for the room etc. etc. Despite filling this out, nothing was actually catered to (with no explanation). To make matters worse, the same form was handed to us on arrival which we promptly filled out again - but still none of our requests were catered to.

- Sunset cruise: Billed as a romantic and scenic voyage of 1 hour 15 minutes around the bay, the trip is in fact a 45 minute run to a fishing dock on the opposite side of the bay where many local labourers were fishing (and staring at us...) ... and back... to top it off, no one had informed the cruise team of our dietary requirements so no vegetarian canapés were available (other guests were provided standard canapes).

- Housekeeping: Housekeeping continually left the doors open in the evenings (despite our requests not to do so) which allowed bugs into the sleeping area.

- Handbook: Each villa comes with a useful handbook setting out a number of the features of the resort. Unfortunately, a few of the features proudly proclaimed in the handbook have not been conveyed to the staff. So when we asked for these to be executed, we were met by bemused stares, or the butler would claim she would get back to us - but then no action would be taken and we were not even informed why.

- Check out: On the day of our check out housekeeping arrived an hour early, whilst we were still in the villa packing, to start preparing the villa for the next set of guests. (The resort inform you of your departure time in a letter the night before so it's not like the time of departure is not known to the staff). When we asked her to come back in an hour, she returned in 15 minutes saying that she needed to check the mini bar but promptly began cleaning the place out around us! We had to rush to pack up before she started moving it all! To complete the shambolic check-out experience, the bill presented to us in the villa was incorrect and a different bill was presented at the front desk!

- Car: if you drive to the resort yourself, the car is parked in the valet car park. When we collected our car, the front seats had been pushed back and reclined… suggesting that someone had been having a nice snooze in our car! (seat adjustment is electronic , unlikely to have been pushed back by mistake)

Overall

We were disappointed that we chose this resort to celebrate our anniversary at. The prices at Zighy Bay – for everything from the room to the meals – are hugely inflated (a lunch comprising still water, chips, pasta and soup was c. USD 100 all in for example; and rooms go for USD 800+). The notion of a Butler to cater to your every need is a complete farce. There are many other much better resorts in Oman, the Middle East and the world generally that can be experienced at a fraction of the cost. Nothing special and definitely not worth the money!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
15  Thank enjoytravel84
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at Six Senses Zighy Bay, Oman. We are deeply sorry that your experience did not meet your standards or those that we strive to provide to each of our guests.

We are glad to note that you found the villas to be spacious and beautiful and also the in-villa dining experience matching your expectations with the excellent cuisine and romantic candle-light set-up.

Kindly note that dietary requirements shared in the hideaway profile form shared should certainly have been ensured and have noted with great concern that this was not the case during your stay.

Please be assured of our untiring efforts to ensure that nothing but the highest levels of service is delivered consistently to all our guests.

We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so that we can examine the issues you experienced during your stay. We hope that you will reach out to me directly at axel@sixsenses.com

Best regards,

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here in September 2012 for a week. The weather was extremely hot and we were very glad to have the private pool to cool off in.
The villa was very spacious and comfortable, despite its rusticity! An earlier review describes it as 'Flintstone Chic' and this is a very apt description.
In the one bedroom villas the outside space is relatively limited and we had to move the sunbeds around to follow the sunshine. We also had one of the few villas which had no outdoor majlis seating area. Despite querying this numerous times our butler did not address or acknowledge our queries and concerns about this.
The resort itself is well laid out and all the villas are close to the beach. The beach and the ocean are beautiful, as are the views of, and from, the mountains.
The villas are very close to each other and we were lucky to have peaceful and considerate neighbours.
The food in the restaurants is very good. Dining on the Edge is a must, but book before you travel as it gets full very quickly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor following your visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay.

We are pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for all the positive recommendations you have made.

Wonderful to know that you loved the rustic chic charm of the resort.

We have noted your concern regarding the outside majles and do apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard. We do sincerely appreciate constructive feedback from our guests always and make positive changes to add value to their experiences.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We visited this resort in late August 2012 having arrived into Dubai airport early in the morning. Having been collected and escorted from the plane, our hand luggage carried and refreshed in the lounge whilst our passports were taken and stamped we made the hour and a half journey from Dubai airport to the port of Dibba in a large air-conditioned 4x4.

Ziggy Bay has three methods of arrival (4x4 through the mountain pass, speedboat across the bay and para-gliding), having 3 children and fancying being a bit James Bond we opted for the speedboat which was amazing. We were greeted by the boat boy and the speedboat captain and offered cold water and towels, the twenty minute trip through the waves was amazing and as we turned the corner around the reef we could see the low lying traditional buildings and the white sand of Ziggy Bay. A short 3 minute car transfer from the port to the resort and we were being warmly greeting with jasmine infused cold towels and date juice.

Your butler greets you and after a few formalities takes you to your villa.

We had a 2 bedroom Pool Villa (the resort has a slightly bewildering choice of villas, all have pools and unless you want personal spa facilities you do not need a spa villa - just take the club gold cart to the spa) the only real difference being whether you want to be right on the beach for which you pay a large premium or one of the villas in the row or two behind. We had decided against paying the premium for beach front access and I was extremely pleased to see that it was a mere 20 second walk from the front of our villa to the beach down a small sandy path.

The villas themselves are cool and well furnished in a traditional rustic style with beautiful infinity pools, sun deck and seating area.

Despite arriving at around 8am our villa was all ready and we went straight it and ordered breakfast which was delivered to our villa in around thirty minutes.

Their are some lovely touches like the personalised bikes parked outside to the pillow fragrance menu.

Your butler takes care of any excursions you might want, booking dinner reservations, spa trips and driving you back and forth in the club car if you really can't be bothered (or its to hot) to walk.

The whole resort can be walked around in thirty minutes and the central pool, restaurants and bars are probably only 2-10 minutes from most villas, or just call your butler and he'll pick you up.

We ate in both the Summer House and Traditional restaurant and found both to be excellent, great friendly service and beautifully tasting and presented food all with a healthy twist. The breakfast is amazing with every type of food you might like including a la carte dishes, traditional pancakes (try honey & cheese), fruit, smoothies, breads, eggs etc.

I would suggest that you get a half board package as the food is expensive and if you chose half board you get a set menu or a generous allowance against any of the menu choices.

Unfortunately the Sense on the Edge restaurant was closed whilst we stayed so we cannot comment on that. I would again re-iterate how good the service in the restaurants was, to the point where all the staff knew our names on each visit, without asking and kept discrete notes of all our preferences so they did not need to keep asking, a sign of great service.

Just a note on visiting during Ramadan - some of the facilities are closed and alcohol can only be taken in your villa, fine for us, but bear this in mind. Also in late August the resort is very quiet which we loved. Most of the time the beach was deserted and the main pool empty but if you want a few more people around then this is not the best time to visit. It is also hot and very humid.

A quick note about the beach, we had ready a few earlier reviews which mentioned tar on the beach, this was not a problem whatsoever and the beach was perfectly white and clean, the only thing you could see was crabs scurrying up the beach when the tide was going out (great fun to try and catch them). The sea was lovely to swim in and we went on one of the scuba diving excursions which was brilliant fun.

The spa facilities were good, very tranquil and relaxing.

Overall we found the 5 nights very relaxing, you could use the facilities or pretend you were in your own oasis and just stay in your villa. The food, environment, staff and facilities were amazing.

It's not a cheap holiday but worth every penny.

We left in the 4x4 through the craggy mountains feeling refreshed and sad to be leaving. (Note I think the small surcharge to arrive in the speedboat was much better than the mountain 4x4, we weren't brave enough to paraglide!).

Room Tip: All the villas are slightly different, chose either a Pool Villa or seafront pool villa, the Spa vil...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Uktraveller2012

Your feedback is much appreciated and has been shared with all our hosts.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Six Senses Zighy Bay soon!

Best regards,

#2 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah
Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Oceanic Khorfakkan Resort & Spa

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!