“Second Visit... Just gets better...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Zighy Bay
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our trip... We needed somewhere to go to simply recharge...
- If you're looking for rustic but beautiful accommodation with first class service, look no further.

Great cocktails from Hector. Our butler Julius couldn't do enough for us.(but found a nice balance of being around when required / and not when he wasn't!).

Food is excellent too.

Just great...

Well worth the 2 hours from Dubai airport...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PauloAmore
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed your second stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay and would like to thank you for writing such a constructive review.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and would like to thank you for all the positive comments you have made. We are delighted that we were able to provide you with a memorable experience.

Meeting and exceeding Guest satisfaction is our main focus at Six Senses Zighy Bay and it is rewarding to learn that we have achieved on this occasion. . Your compliments have been shared with our hosts especially Hector and Julius whose efforts were much appreciated.

Thank you again for supporting our scenic hideaway, and for the time taken to provide us with your valuable feedback. We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and we look forward to welcoming you back at Six Senses Zighy Bay soon…

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am disappointed that I am unable to give this resort full marks because despite some negatives my hubby and I had a lovely time, however it simply didn't deliver excellence (the staff, however, were fantastic and five stars to them without reservation). I booked the holiday months and months ago as it was to be our first major holiday since 2009 and based on all the rave reviews on TA I had looked forward to it for a long time. I am a very generous reviewer on TA and my personal policy is not to write negative reviews if my negative experience is purely subjective. However when I experience something that I think others should know about or if I think the hotel Management could do something about then I think it is fair to mention them. The resort is without doubt situated in a stunning location and the accommodation is fabulous if you want rustic charm. But there are a few things that made it less than a 5 star experience for me

1) when the huge bath was filled, the water was brown and not at all inviting so we stuck to the showers, we are sure there is nothing wrong with the water and it is probably something to do with mineral deposits but even so, it was quite disappointing.

2) the air conditioning units are the noisiest we have come across, probably why they supply complimentary earplugs. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for and after experiencing totally silent aircon in our hotel in Muscat it was a bit of a shock.

3) in our villa if we had all the aircon units on during the night we were invariably woken up by a loud persistent hum, which would only go if we turned lots of lights on. Obviously it was some kind of electrical circuitry fault. This was reported to senior management but nothing was done and we don't like to nag, but this happened every evening, maintenance does not seem to be a regular thing and it should be at these prices, hence:

4) I got a severe electric shock from one of the floor lamps as there was an exposed wire on the switch that I had failed to notice in the dark, it was repaired the very next day when they serviced the room and they spotted our warning note but if each room was thoroughly inspected regularly by maintenance teams it would not have happened, it could have happened to a child. More about children later!

5) the lighting is VERY dim and it is a struggle to see if you want to put make up on or blow dry hair so probably easier not to bother! It is the same in the restaurants so if you want to see what you are eating you have to ask for extra lighting.

If you want 5 star standards then in my view this resort may not be for you. We stayed in a beachfront pool villa suite and it was exactly that. Our view was a turquoise ocean and a white sandy beach. Lots of space to lounge around doing nothing, everything we could think of within reach, a butler on hand in case there was something they hadn't thought of and our little private pool was just large enough to lightly exercise if we did enough laps.

However, there is a huge BUT and it is one that a couple of reviewers have already highlighted. If you are an adult couple seeking relaxation and tranquility it cannot be guaranteed at this resort. And with the price you pay for accommodation here it should be guaranteed!

Management need to take a good long and hard look at their policy as regards family friendliness as opposed to the image of luxurious serenity and tranquility that is portrayed on their website. It is a lottery at the moment - the villas are VERY close together and if you are adults wanting a quiet break you may end up lodged amongst families with shrieking children or you may not. If you are not, then the holiday will be heavenly, as ours was once the Family From Hell that was housed two villas down from us went home. Had we arrived at the start of the Family From Hell's holiday we would not have stayed longer than a day. As it happened we only had to endure a short period of the constant screaming of every sentence, which was emitted from the youngest child and the constant whoopings and dog like howlings emitted from the the eldest child, which he and the middle sibling found hilariously amusing. Both emissions seemed to run constantly throughout the first afternoon and early evening of our first day and started at 6.30 on our first morning and continued until the family left at around 10 am.

When you are paying handsomely for your own villa and pool (plus 9% tax and 8% service charge)it goes against the grain to have to vacate it each morning to find somewhere on the resort that is more peaceful. However once this family had gone we had a lovely relaxing time but due to the fact that serenity is far from guaranteed at this resort there is no way we would return or, in fact, recommend it to other couples who are looking for a relaxing holiday. If the Management took the bold step of strictly making one side of the resort accommodation adults only and the other side of the accommodation family only then they could please everyone (there is even a natural divide).

Also, there is absolutely no reason why the Zighy Bar should be open to children as alcoholic drinks are available everywhere and families could quite easily have drinks in any of the restaurants. On our first evening at the resort, at one point the youngest child from the Family From Hell was actually climbing on one if the tables in the Zighy Bar and trying to shriek her little head off, sadly it didn't fall off and resolutely stayed where it was, much to the disappointment of the rest of the peace seeking adults around at the time. However I think Management are much too profit driven to do much about it as when my partner spoke to them about the noise we were being subjected to in our villa they admitted that they do try to keep families in one section but when the demand is high they house them where they can (and so obviously don't really give a damn if someone's relaxation is ruined because there will be more unsuspecting adults attracted by the website). I don't think this resort relies heavily on repeat business. So whilst it is a lovely resort do NOT book if you are adults wanting guaranteed peace and quiet.

A few more tips:
i) wear sandals or flip flops or something when walking on the beach as there are little pockets of oil that stick to your skin and are difficult to remove, to be expected as Oman is largely funded by its oil industry
ii) the speedboat arrival and departure is brilliant if you don't like heights and don't fancy the 4x4 experience
iii) there are hardly any bugs, which may please lots of people but must not be a natural state of affairs and left us wondering how pollination occurs and just how much bug killer is hanging around in the air at any one time?
iv) there are wild goats pottering around, which we loved and found very charming but others may not
v) the food is very good and Senses on the Edge is a must but in my opinion should be adults only as it is Michelin standard food, which would not be appreciated by most kids and there should be at least one place on the resort where adults can have a completely adult experience.

Most resorts we've been to in the past have had adult friendly zones and I don't know any parents who begrudge such zones (myself and hubby included). If we want a holiday with kids around all the time we take our grand kids! After that first night we never returned to the Zighy Bar on an evening, preferring to have an aperitif in our villa rather than being surrounded by kids. During the day, however, the bar was very peaceful. All in all, a lovely time, but not as good as I'd hoped it would be.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank SLD64

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your stay with us.

On behalf of the team, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused during your arrival. You certainly did not experience us at our best.

I am very happy to note that the service rendered by the team at the resort, the stunning location and the rustic charm of the accommodation did meet your expectations…

The brown water in the bath certainly is a one off case and not the standard. Normally when the water is left to run, it clears off in a short while. And the same should certainly have been checked prior to your arrival in the villa. I am most concerned that this was not the case and you were disappointed with the bath experience.

We do have regular maintenance of the facilities and during the summer months the extensive CAN FIX preventive maintenance does ensure that each and every aspect of the villa is looked into minute detail and addressed from the technical point of view. It is indeed disheartening to note that we did fail to meet your expectations on this front.

Six Senses resorts around the world are known for being specific in design and décor and certainly are not the regular 5 star luxurious marble kind of resorts. Guests who come to stay with us do appreciate the different experience and I am glad to know that you enjoyed the rustic charm and chic luxury that the resort offers.

Whilst I fully understand your feedback that the privacy and serene atmosphere of the resort is a unique experience and that diverse nature of the guests does bring in a challenge to manage. We certainly would love to allocate villas with families and children as away from the couples as feasible, but the limited inventory of 82 villas does not permit us the luxury of doing so at times when the resort goes to very high occupancy levels. The suggestion shall certainly be kept in mind and thank you for sharing the same.

Yes, the speed boat departure experience is as special as the arrival on a 4x4 vehicle or the adventurous at heart can paraglide into the resort straight into the beautiful beach.

Please be assured of our untiring efforts to ensure that nothing but the highest levels of service is delivered consistently to all our guests.

We do hope that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back so that you can experience all the services and facilities as expected of us.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Zighy Bay is very special. It's a good 20 minutes drive from the gates across craggy mountains to the private resort and what a dramtic entrance it is. We chose car, but some of the guests had par-glided in and you can also arrive by boat.
Our beach pool villa was lovely, although friends of ours had a pool villa and I'd say this was just as good and a much lower rate. You'd obviously loose out on direct access to the beach but gain on £££ - you need to weigh up what's most important to you.
The food and drinks (although the wine list is excellent) are expensive so be warned. No sure the buffets offered value. Also the shop was very dear and therefore a bit disappointing. The service is fantastic - right across the resort and the hotel has some fantastic little touches like "pillow menu's"; a great wine and in villa bar; one of the very best breakfasts I've ever had and "wow" make sure you make the most of the dinner in their mountainside restaurant The Edge. Really stunning - very special.

Room Tip: Make sure you go to their mountain restaurant - it's stunning.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank nooLondon
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay and would like to thank you for writing such a constructive review. The effort taken is sincerely appreciated.

We have noted your specific feedback on the price of food and beverage as well as choice of items in the gallery shop. We are in the process of enhancing the items on offer and very soon a marked improvement will be seen in this front.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at Zighy Bay for the tail end of our holiday in Oman. We were really excited to be coming here as we'd spent the last few months dreaming of relaxing in the sunshine in our villa and plunge pool.

When we arrived just before 3pm our villa wasn't ready (apparently the guest before was late leaving and they were fully booked so no alternatives were available) - although the manager did offer us lunch rather than have us wait in reception it wasn't a great start as we were looking forward to making the most of the villa/pool before the Sun disappeared in the early evening. Still, the complimentary lunch was very good and did appease us.

We then got taken to our villa by our 'butler'. The villas themselves were everything that we hoped for and had real character (all the architecture/layout of the place is very nicely done), the rooms are huge and the plunge pool and outside seating area are fantastic.

We then tried to book a number of spa treatments, paragliding and confirm a meal booked for Sense on the Edge (the restaurant on the top of the mountain overlooking the resort). As the resort was full we had a little bit of a struggle to fit things in when we wanted them (so worth booking ahead if there are particular things that you want to do). I was particularly disappointed that there had been an error with our booking for sun-downers and meal at Sense on the Edge on the Saturday as I had called ahead earlier in the week to book both but only the meal was reserved (there is a small area for pre-dinner drinks at Sense on the Edge which is lovely for sun-downers but Six Senses had only booked us in for the meal), we were able to rearrange for another day but not the kind of mistakes you expect.

My wife raved about the spa treatments, particularly the treatments from the guest therapist there during our stay, and I also went paragliding which was a great experience.

The food at all the restaurants, and especially Sense on the Edge, was very good - the Sense on the Edge 3 course meal was easily the best food that we had in Oman.

Overall, the location is spectacular, the accommodation is fantastic and the food and activities on offer are exactly what you would hope for at a high end beach resort. However, given that the accommodation on it's own is expensive, the pricing when you get to the resort is generally excessive (particularly when you factor in the exchange rate to pounds - a meal for two with a few drinks was costing the best part of £200 - which really was only justifiable for the Sense on the Edge restaurant where the setting and the food is worth the extra money) and the little unnecessary add-ons (i.e. basic still water with a meal was charged for) left you feeling that you were being squeezed for every last penny money - to pinch a quote from another reviewer that still makes me laugh... "charges like a wounded bull". Add in that the service wasn't always faultless (in addition to the things above, towels taken and not replaced/mini bar items not replaced etc); this was possibly because they were full and the staff were stretched - but that's not an excuse when you're paying top whack.

You could argue that you know what you're getting in terms of cost when you go to a place like Zighy Bay (although elements of the pricing still took me back), but if you're going to charge through the nose then the service should be spot on. It's possible we were just a little unlucky and this took the shine off, but when I compare Zighy Bay to the type of spectacular service you get at somewhere like Mnemba Island (an &Beyond beach resort in Zanzibar we stayed at a few years ago) or lots of the resorts in the Maldives, I'm not sure it does enough to justify the price tag.

Room Tip: The beach villas looked worth the extra money
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelTorps
SS-ZighyBay, General Manager at Six Senses Zighy Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Six Senses Zighy Bay.

We are pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for all the positive recommendations you have made.

Very happy to note that you loved the food at the resort as well as the Fine Dine Restaurant Sense on the Edge. Great to know that the SPA treatments as well as the paragliding was a memorable experience.

We have noted your concerns on the issues you have mentioned and please be assured that corrective measures are being taken. We do sincerely appreciate constructive feedback from our guests always and make positive changes to add value to their experiences.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed in a beachfront Villa for 1 week around the midgle of October. The Villa is beautiful, with lots of space outside (lounge area and sun beds) but since it still was very hot, there was not enough shade in the morning hours (until about 11:00), and not much you could do about it. Also, since the Villas have no space between them, if you end up like us, being sandwiched in between 2 Villas that have 2-3 small children each, the relaxation factor rapidly goes down. You hear everything, each jump in the pool, each scream...for hours, this was really too much to handle at times! We like children, but we chose the place because we thought we would have more privacy. In general, there were a lot of small children, it sometimes felt more like a Club Robinson!
The beach is incredible, fine, white sand and kilometers to walk.
I expected more from the ocean though - the water was very warm but not very clear, the lagoon is dead, no corals, almost no fish (no need to bring your snorkeling gear, there is nothing to see), and sometimes there is lots of garbage swimming in the water (the hotel staff is constantly cleaning the beach, so you don't see it there), and for 2 days there was red stuff (algies?) coming in, so we did not go in at all.
The food in the restaurants is very good, especially the breakfast buffet. There is a restaurant (Senses on the edge) on top of the mountain which is spectacular. And as others have already pointed out, the service is outstanding.
The Spa was ok, not as good as other Six Senses we have been too. The treatments were average, the Spa atmosphere average, and it always was too cold in the treatment rooms for my taste, too much air-condition, within minutes your skin felt like a dried plum.

In Summary: A perfect place for couples with children,lots of space in the villas, good food and service, but if you want a quiet, intimate place this is not the right hotel to go to. Also, if you are into snorkeling and fish watching, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tauchmaus

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback on your stay with us.

On behalf of the team, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay. You certainly did not experience us at our best.

I do appreciate your comments on the presence of kids in the resort. Our resort does welcome different segments of guests... We do try our best to allocate villas separately so that couples are allowed the privacy the resort is known for. Sometimes, due to the high occupancy, we do not have this luxury.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed in a standard pool villa (room 71) for a couple of days and our stay highly exceeded expectations.

Three things make the resort stand out: its location, it's design and its level of service.

The location is stunning: remote, in a beautiful bay behind a vast mountain range. On your way to the resort you feel like you are driving on the moon at times.

The villas are designed in local style, but with all comforts you would expect from a five star resort. The design is rustic; all modern technical equipment is there (air con strong enough to cool the massice room, bose sound system, flat screen tv etc) but everything is hidden behind blinds, inside boxes. At night the resort becomes very romantic with thousands of lights illuminating the pathways, again hidden in basket like structures, so that you never see the lights and only get the diffused glow. The gardens are kept impeccably clean. Turndown service included the setup of tealights around the pool area.

The service is outstanding. We requested a villa away from the main pool and our request was fulfilled without the need to remind them. We also requested a late checkout at 8 pm - again this was arranged without any problems. A small complain was handled very well by our GEM, who was exetremely helpful throughout our stay and available every time we needed him.

The only negatives were:
- too many noisy kids in the main pool area. I would have preferred a seperate kids pool
- one of the restaurants were closed (the one on the beach) due to the construction of a saltwater pool, so the restaurant choices were limited to two during the week
- the edge restaurant is only open a few times a week
- i forgot my jacket at the resort but it was never found and the request wasn't handled very well (ie had to call numerous times in order to find out if it was found. I was promised a call back, but never received a call and when i called again, no-one knew what I was talking about and I had to explain the issue again)
- the sunset cruise wasn't great and rather bad value for money

Those minor complaints were far outweighted by the positives and all in all I would really recommend a stay here for a few nights even as only a side trip from dubai.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the generous compliments and we are delighted to know that you loved the location, design and level of service during your recent stay.

The unique location, spacious villas, serene atmosphere and imaginative friendly service does make the stay very enjoyable for all our guests. I am glad to read that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted to read your kindhearted comments and the team at Zighy Bay is already looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

I do apologize for the inconveniences caused due to kids in the main pool. The design of individual pools in all villas is to ensure guest privacy.

I am glad to inform you that the Saline Pool work has been completed and this is the latest addition of the facilities of the resort.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed for 1 week in a 2 bedroom suite villa beachfront (no 31). The villa was more than 200 sqmtrs and was elegant and comfortable. I has 2 huge bathtubs, 3 indoor showers and 2 outdoor showers. On both floors there are very spacius bedrooms. 2. floor also has a very nice dining area and a wonderfull outdoor terrace. 1. floor has a spacius living area. All rooms have wondefull views to the sea. The private pool is lovely (especially for the children) and we had direct acces to the nice and clean beach. we also liked the bicycles that all guests get.
Our butler was very, very helpfull. We got our luggage mixed up in Dubai - and he managed - very fast - everything out - meaning that we could enjoy our holiday in spite of the problems with the luggage. He also arranged a cruise and a private dinner on top of the wine tower. I can recommand that.
The in villa dinning service is very fast and effective - and the daily cleaning was spotless.
Regarding the prices I do not think it is that expensive buying foods, drinks etc. It is very high quality and compared to f.e. The Chedi prices are lower. I think you go to Zighy Bay to relax. It is not a place to go if you want a lively bar in the evening and getting together with other guests. There are no local shops, no local restaurants, no local souk etc. nearby the hotel. If you are looking for that you should go to The Chedi instead. But being with your Family in Zighy Bay is absolutely fantastic - and we would be happy to be back again to relax.

Room Tip: A beachfront villa with direct acces to the beach tops the holiday
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at Six Senses Zighy Bay and would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback is much appreciated and has been shared with all our hosts.

Guest satisfaction is our main goal at Six Senses Zighy Bay, and it is rewarding to learn that it has been achieved on this occasion.

We would like to thank you for the recommendations you have made and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Six Senses Zighy Bay soon!

All the best,

#2 of 5 in Dibba Al Fujairah
Le Meridien Al Aqah Beach Resort
Sandy Beach Hotel & Resort
Oceanic Khorfakkan Resort & Spa

Been to Six Senses Zighy Bay? Share your experiences!