“Very clean and nice place”

Camiguin Volcan Beach Eco Retreat & Dive Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Mambajao
squzza
“Very clean and nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We enjoyed our budget room which was clean and spacious enough with a balcony. The toilet in the room does not have door which is quite weird. The room is just by the road, next to the restaurant and above the diving equipment so it was noisy in the early morning. Evenings were quite ok since the restaurant closes at 10pm sharp. Also, you could really hear what is going on in the room next door.
They offer wide breakfast and dinner options and also a special daily dinner menu. The food was overpriced and average.
The resort offers various tours, you can borrow snorkeling and diving gear there and they also have motorbikes for rent. You need a motorbike to get anywhere, it is far from the 'city'. 15 -20 mins on a motorbike if I remember correctly.
I contacted the place via e-mail many times and always got almost immediate and helpful response. The staff was also very professional and attentive. Internet is provided in the dining area. Credit cards are accepted with a surcharge.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank squzza

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Hebrew first
Davao City, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Raquel of Davao City, Philippines
The place is nice. Ideal for a silent vacation. The waves are so relaxing to listen the whole day. However, we did not really feel welcome. We came to the resort with an unfortunate circumstance. The airline brought our luggage only three days after arrival. The owners knew that we didnt have anything except our hand luggage. But they did not ask how they could help us. There was not even soap or shampoo in our room, only one thin towel which they replace after three days.

They serve automatically water to the meals, which is a good thing, but the staff is forbidden to bring water to the room if you need to brush your teeth! The restaurant is good but pricey which makes many guests prefer the restaurant next door which is not only much cheaper but has a family-like atmosphere and offers a variety of breakfasts with unlimited cups of coffee or tea. In this resort, however, you have to pay for each cup extra.

When we checked out, my friend made sure he paid our bills correctly and so we left not knowing I forgot my earings there. Since we had just moved to the place next door, I had no doubt that I can have them back anytime of my convenience. After two days, to my unpleasant surprise, they refused to give my earings back. They wanted my friend to pay an extra amount for "renting" rubber shoes. Instead of discussing the issue with him, they felt not ashamed to confiscate my personal items. What will they do with my earrings? If they want to make money out of it, they have to bring it to a pawnshop which is tantamount to theft!!!

The internet is slow and irregular and can be used only in the restaurant. There is no mobile signal.
You can swim in the ocean at low and hide tide but getting into the water needs some courage because there are a lot of rocks. There is no TV. Forget about the tours they offer! You can easily organize it yourself at a much lower price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Raquel A
SabineFien, Manager at Camiguin Volcan Beach Eco Retreat & Dive Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Raquel from Davao,
Many thanks for taking your time to give us your kind feedback. We are very happy that you enjoyed the ambiance and peace of one of our Beach Front Villa so much that you actually extended your stay from 3 nights you booked in advance to 5 nights.

The Beach Front Villa, just like all our romantic rooms, is equipped with two big shower towels and two smaller face towels. For the comfort of our guest we even provide additional beach towel for free. We are very proud to be an Eco Retreat and for the conservation of nature, it is our endeavor to minimize the daily laundry, therefore we change linen and towel every three days or earlier on request. And thanks to the unspoiled nature of Camiguin, one can safely drink the fresh spring water which comes direct from every tap in our resort.

Beside great nature on land we are also lucky to have a fantastic House Reef direct in front of our resort, ideally for diving, snorkeling and swimming. Part of our Diving business therefore is the rental of equipment for these water activities. Prices for rental fees are listed open in each of the Welcome Folder one can find in every room and at the reception as well.

However our offer don´t include TV, Mobil signal or internet in the rooms. But a wonderfully colorful flower garden with native fruit trees, coconut palms, fantastic hammocks and a great sundeck for breathtaking sunsets, yoga or just sunbathing. Most of our guests from all over the world see this as a big privilege for total relaxation which is one of the primary reasons for their vacation in our little paradise.

Since our well trained housekeeping cleans all the rooms daily and we knew that you are still on the island, we immediately reported your partner via Email and your new place by phone, that we find jewelry in the Beach Front Villa. At the same time we found out that your partner forgot to give back our property in form of Aqua Lung Boots which he used for swimming.
The fact that we had to go and collect the rented boots at your new place, 2 days after you checked-out with us already is certainly not the usual practice. But we oversaw this little detail and just asked your partner direct for the payment of the rental fees resp. once he comes and fetches the jewelry. Since this don´t happen yet be sure your earrings are certainly in our hotel safe until you pick them up on your next visit to Camiguin.

We are really very sorry to read, that all our efforts of help once you arrived and later, where not sufficient enough. But we assure that we will be more attentive in the future to improve our service.

Sabine Fien
Manager
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Camiguin is a beautiful place and we'd nothing but positive experiences there EXCEPT for this resort!!!

The owners are complete rip-off artists who seem to care about nothing else other than getting their guests onto tours with a 1000% markup!!

Walk outside and arrange your own trip in ten minutes with an tricycle driver - and have a much more enoyable experience!!!

Food is crap as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank PotongPasir
Glendora, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

My family and I went on vacation to Camiguin for about 5 days. We stayed here and at another resort, and also checked out a number of other resorts. This is still my favorite. It's just the best mix of price, location, lodging, food, amenities, and pleasant staff we found. You might find another place that's better in one of those categories but overall, this place comes out the winner.

It helps that it is a new resort, less than a year old. Things fall apart fast, especially in the tropics, so it's easier to keep everything in good shape and clean while it's all still new.

It's run by a German couple and they are just wonderful. Very welcoming and pleasant, and most importantly they are enthusiastic and knowledgeable about what they do. It is a dive resort so this is of course an emphasis.

The property is very pleasant as well. We spent a lot of time right at the resort; something we never do as we always want to go out and do things. With the reef accessible right from the property, you can easily go snorkeling or diving without the hassle of driving somewhere else. The grounds themselves are also very pleasant and enjoyable, they have hammocks we all enjoyed in all the right places. As has been mentioned, there is no sand, only large lava rocks. Access in and out of the water isn't that hard though with the provided ladders and ropes to guide you into and out of the water.

Regarding the "house reef" as they call it, it's worth noting that having this available right at your resort is a rarety on this island. I would consider it to be more ideal for diving than snorkeling. The surf was a bit rough for casual snorkeling and most of the interesting stuff was down at least 5 meters, and even better below 10 meters. Of course, it might be that it isn't always as choppy but I do think this part of the island is rougher than other parts of the island. I went on one SCUBA dive here at this house reef and it was very enjoyable. Down at 18 meters, there are many interesting things to see at this location. Some of the highlights were a green sea turtle, moral eel, pufferfish, clams, nudibranch, many anemone/clownfish including a very nice rose bubble anemone, as well as some beautiful corals, my favorite being a florescent orange plate coral. I also saw a sea snake while snorkeling.

The food here is very good! There is a strong emphasis on "homemade" so they have some of the best bread on the island. They have a farm on the volcano where they grow a lot of their food, including rabbits, which was a special treat for me. The variety of choices isn't as expansive as other places but the quality makes up for it. The only thing we noticed was that their mixed drinks weren't sweet at all. This is the Filipino way of making them so it wasn't a huge surprise. I'm sure many people like them that way, but we didn't.

The rooms are clean and well decorated. They are smaller than I expected but not so small that it was a problem. We had one of their larger rooms with a queen and a double bed. Be aware that if you want soap, you'll have to ask for it. Also, they provided small towels but no washcloths. This is sort of a European thing. As an American, I expected a washcloth, larger towels would have been nice, and it was a little annoying to have to ask for soap but none of this is a deal breaker.

Now, perhaps my biggest complaint: there are no fans to be found anywhere. It's on the ocean so sometimes there's a breeze that comes through and it's comfortable. But then, sometimes there isn't a breeze. When that happens it's really uncomfortable. The place would really benefit by adding fans to their lodge/restaurant/bar/main building. That's really all it would take to make it significantly more comfortable. The same goes for the rooms. Our room had an air-conditioner but the where it is located doesn't allow the air to circulate well so we had to really blast that thing for hours before it felt comfortable inside. Again, some fans would have made all the difference. I did speak to the owner about this and she agreed it was a good idea. To be fair, at the numerous other places we checked out, most of them had this same problem of no fans. We live in the Philippines and have found that fans are very common and popular but on Camiguin for some reason it seems like the resorts just haven't caught on. Baffling.

A word on being here with a family: the staff were all very good with our children and they had a great time here! As far as I know, the max occupancy in a room is 3 people (perhaps another bed/crib could be brought in but I don't know this). That makes it a bit challenging but fortunately my parents came with us so we were able to juggle our kids between our two rooms. Of course, it is a diving resort so it isn't like young families are the primary target clientele.

So, all that said, I can definitely recommend this place, especially for divers and young adults. My wife and I hope to return soon without our kids and we are seriously considering booking here again.

Finally, be sure to check out their website. It's definitely one of the best ones for a resort here. They have a PDF file of a booklet of activities you can do through them. I recommend you check this out, even if you don't chose to do it through them. I printed the whole thing out and brought it with us.

Room Tip: The rooms are oriented in two straight lines perpendicular to the ocean. The rooms that have an ocea...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank krishj39
Irkutsk, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I bought a room through Agoda. IN FACT Hotel description matches only the territory adjacent to the room. NEITHER THIS REEF OR NO down to the sea, down to the sea is undeveloped WORTH ONLY Sloman Ladders. ROOF room covered with roofing materials "ANDULIN" which is used in the northern latitudes, IN ALL ROOMS FACE ONLY FANS Because of this all rooms creates a bad atmosphere. HOST HOTEL creates conditions that would all visitors to the hotel is in the bar. Since the hotel is on the outskirts of MOST EXPENSIVE FOOD FROM HOTELS Camiguin. SAVING THE HOST HOTEL expressed even in the absence cups in the toilet under the toothbrush. ME IS SURPRISED hospitality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank ckjy2828
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

my husband came home to have a vacation.we both decided to do island hopping and our first stop?camiguin island.we searched for somewhere quiet and not too touristy..and luckily we found this paradise!..the place was so nice.so clean.air is fresh.you'll be more than relax.the owner and the whole staff were very nice and accomodating and they always have the sweet smiles on their faces.whatever problems we had they were always quick to respond.the food is totally awesome too.mama mia pasta became my favorite.one thing they offer too is their scuba diving lessons.god my husband fell in-love with it instantly.mike was his diving instructor.my husband said he can't ask for a better instructor.as a first timer in diving,mike made sure my husband will be comfortable under the water.and yes,after the session?my husband can't stop talking about the experience.as a whole our stay here was unforgettable,it's paradise.this resort is something everyone should visit.to the management and staff?we are looking forward to visiting again.we were planning on visiting next yr before we fly back to the states but i am pregnant right now so we are flying out of the country at the end of the month.but one day?we will visit again...god bless you...

Room Tip: for me even if i am a filipina,born and raised in a tropical country i would still wanna sleep in a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

It started 8 months ago, when I stumbled upon this resort on Tripadvisor. I immediately booked both beach villas with the owner, Sabine and from then on, we kept in touch until we arrived. She was great to talk to, very friendly and accomodating considering the many changes we had to make to our bookings.

We fell in love with the resort, the minute we arrived. The landscape was beautifully kept, thanks to Alfie and the staff. The beach villas were spacious, extremely clean and had magnificent views. We had to move to the superior rooms due to the typhoon, and these rooms were equally clean. The housekeeping was kept up on a daily basis.

Food was wonderful- so much so, that we only left the resort once for dinner. Food was organic, most of their produce was grown from their garden (including their aloe plant, which came in handy when we came back burnt from the sun). Gabriel, the other owner, and his kitchen staff were fantastic cooks. The servers were also fantastic, they never skipped a beat with our food and drinks. We were a group of Canadians who love our drinks, so that says a lot about them!

We were on the island for 7 days and we enjoyed every single day. Mantigue Island is a must, one of the best snorkelling spots I have been to. We had a blast with the dive instructors, Sylvia and Flor, as well as the intern Lea. They were so great, and we hope to continue to keep in touch with them.

To Gabriel, Sabine, Flor, Sylvia, Lea, Teresa, Rachel, Alfie and the entire staff at Volcan Beach, THANK YOU! You've made a beautiful place much more exceptional!

Room Tip: The beach villas were beautfiul with stunning views. I personally liked the superior rooms because t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mambajao
Camiguin Highland Resort
Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort
Caves Dive Resort
Caves Dive Resort
#7 of 9 in Mambajao

Been to Camiguin Volcan Beach Eco Retreat & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!