“A fantastic place to chill out”

Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Mambajao
Brussels
“A fantastic place to chill out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I have just spent 5 nights at Action Geckos and I would quite happily have stayed there twice as long. The resort has so much to recommend it that I'm not really sure I can do it justice in a short review.

To start with, I should point out that from a dietary perspective I'm not easy to cater for, as for medical reasons I'm really restricted as to what I can eat. Consequently it's not easy for me to find a dish I can eat in a restaurant here in Manila, never mind down south on a tropical island in Mindanao. I needn't have worried though. After emailing Michele in advance to let her know what my dietary requirements are, I got an instant reply to reassure me that they would cook the food exactly how I wanted it.

To be honest that was an understatement. I ate 3 meals a day at their outdoor restaurant the whole time I was there and each time they asked me what ingredients I wanted left out or added and how I'd like it cooked. In addition every meal was absolutely delicious. I'm a fussy eater and I really enjoy my food, so satisfying my appetite given the restrictions I've got was quite an achievement. They have undoubtedly got a very talented chef in their kitchen.

Furthermore, the accommodation itself was great. We stayed in Bungalow 4 which is the furthest of the four from the beach, but it still boasts a great location and view. It simply meant that instead of sitting on our veranda with the waves almost on our doorstep, (as is the case with Bungalow 1), we were about 30 metres away from the shoreline. It didn't make any difference to us. The bungalows are staggered in such a way that you are looking out onto the sea and palm trees, irrespective of which cottage you stay in. Sitting reading on our porch whilst swaying gently in my rocking chair with the sound of the waves lapping against the rocks was an incredibly relaxing way to chill out.

The bungalow itself was rustic and tastefully decorated and the large King size bed was extremely comfortable. The small geckos that crawl across the ceiling are really cute and they obviously do a great job of eating the mosquitoes. We had a net draped over the bed to protect us but we never needed to use it.

Another huge selling point is the customer care you receive at the resort. I found the service to be pretty much exceptional, whether it was corresponding by email in advance or arranging trips, booking transport or ordering food after our arrival there. Everything ran as smooth as clockwork. Michele was frequently on hand with a friendly smile, asking whether we needed anything and she is evidently extremely efficient at managing her staff, all of whom were courteous and hard-working. The resort itself had a really good vibe about it from the moment we arrived and given that 20 local Pinoys are employed there, it's clearly putting money back into the local economy. In addition, it also means that there's always someone ready to attend to you.

Indeed, given that the entire staff and management were so friendly, I found it intriguing that I chanced upon a review by a Filipino family who stayed at Geckos last month and complained bitterly about everything they could think of. Having stayed there myself now for almost a week, I found their criticism laughable. Geckos isn't a resort that is particularly suited to a family vacation and it isn't advertised as such. Instead it is a place where couples and groups of friends stay in order to find time to relax together in an extremely pleasant atmosphere. As for the family's claim that the foreign managers show nothing but indifference to locals, you only have to spend an evening there to see that everyone is treated with the utmost respect. Michele is also really proficient at languages and she even speaks the local Visayan dialect, in addition to French, German and English. Europeans and Pinoys alike couldn't ask for a more welcoming host. My Filipino partner enjoyed our stay at Geckos just as much as I did, and I've no doubt that we'll be going back there for another holiday in the future.

It is worth noting that electricity can be an issue at times on the island as a whole. However, I was grateful that we had only the one brownout during our 5-day stay and even then the electricity was back on within a couple of hours. To put that into perspective, the resort I stayed at in El Nido on Palawan automatically turned off the electricity for 8 hours every single day from 6am-2pm. The one power interruption we experienced at Geckos was nothing in comparison.

There are numerous trips that you can do on Camiguin and if it's golden sand you're looking for, White Island is only a ten-minute boat trip away. We asked Michele and Uli to arrange all of our trips for us and we were really happy with every one of them. During our island tour, Michele even took the trouble to phone ahead to the restaurant where we were booked to have lunch, so that they would cook the food exactly as I needed them to. She also purchased a 5 kilo basket of lanzones fruits from the local market for us on the last day and had it waiting for us as we prepared to leave. The price per kilo was a quarter of what we pay here in Manila. In addition, she organized our ferry tickets back to Cagayan, as well as our pick up on the mainland and transport back to the airport. Nothing was too much trouble for her and customer service simply doesn't get any better than that.

To sum up, Camiguin is probably not to everybody's taste. It's very laid back and the nightlife is non-existent, so if it's action, noise and the in-crowd you're looking for, you're better off going to Boracay. Personally, I much prefer somewhere far more natural and as yet uncommercialized and both Camiguin and Geckos exceeded my expectations in every respect. I will definitely be going back to both as soon as I get the chance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Sidney_Ruff_Diamond

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Mandaluyong, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

PROS:
- Payment: Accepts Paypal though initially they had not mentioned about this option and have previously advised me to send airtime credit details to them
- Location: Pretty good and locals generally know where Agoho is and will be able to point you in the right direction; very close to White Island across
- Staff: friendly, conversational, helpful, and laid back
- Price is hard to beat
- Booking and Reservation: Easy to communicate and book / ask questions through e-mail. They usually respond on the same day

CONS:
- Payment: As mentioned above, they have initially told me to pay via airtime credit, a process I'm not familiar with; Hopefully they would be able to have direct credit card online reservation in the future; the Paypal way is ok but I hate the extra charge :D

Overall, I wouldn't think twice about staying here and bringing my friends over again when we get the chance to go back to Camiguin.

Room Tip: The traveler rooms are good value for money!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank verargulla
Steffisburg, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed form 3 until 19 September 2012. For us it was the first holiday in the Philippines and it will not be the last one on the Philippines thanks to the friendly staff of Camiquin Action Geckos!
The journey from Switzerland to Camiquin is not a simple one. We got a lot of help from the management of Camiquin Action Geckos. For example which is the best way for us / which is the advantageous airline. They arranged us also all the drivers which have been punctually at the airport or at the harbor.
The welcome at Camiquin Action Geckos was warm and very friendly. After showing us our nice cottage with sea view, we got an introduction to the resort (diving / eating / activities on the island).
During our stay one or two Taifun touched the Philippines and we had some electricity blackouts. The staff arranged everything so that we barely noticed the lack of electricity (and beneath: It was very romantic)
My boyfriend did the PADI Open Water Diver and I have done the PADI Rescue Diver. We both had a great time doing our certification. After the first week we went diving around the Island. The staff of Camiquin Action Geckos made diving possible even with the worst weather conditions (roughly sea, heavy wind).
The staff organised all the other activities for example Zip Line / Hawaiian Night / Hot Springs.

Thanks again to the staff and especially to Michelle and Wing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sarahfurer
Mindanao, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Action Geckos is one of the most highly reviewed hotels/resorts in Trip Adviser and Lonely Planet. I am NOT saying that these reviewers were wrong. And, if somehow you can look at my other reviews, you will find that they are very positive. So what's the problem here? For us, just about everything, except the friendly and welcoming FILIPINO staff. The Swiss co-managers were the pits. They love to snorkel and smooze with fellow Europeans, but for us, nothing except indifference. Examples: 1. Very small car park, largely occupied by two junker hotel vehicles, leaving out Honda CRV to park under the coconut trees. 2. While we were waiting to check in, at their suggestion we went to one of the springs for swimming. My three children ALL got a rash there (on one of them it lasted three days). Their reaction? Well, yesterday was their cleaning day. It should not have happened. Period, Like it was my kids's fault. No suggestion about a doctor or a drug store. 3. There was a HUGE turd in the toilet that perfumed our room until we identified the source after several hours. Complete disavowal on their part. "I inspected the room 45 minutes before you moved it. 4. Recommendation to go to While Island either in the early morning or late afternoon. The Filipino staff told us that in the afternoon the seas were very rough at that time. 5. NO generator, even for the dining room. In a chronic power supply shortfall location, this means many nights in romantic darkness. 6. The faucet to wash off the sand from your feet was located away from the path to the room, so impossible not to track sand into the room. 7. They won't accept credit cards over the phone or via email. Must use (and in my case sign up for) some sort of paypall service. VERY inconvenient since internet is one hour from my house in the Philippines. 8. I made the reservations by phone and received confirmation. Then I received an email saying that THEY had made a mistake and that there was no room available for the first day of our proposed stay. OK, then we will only stay for two days, said I. No, our policy is for a three-day stay only. So my oldest son had to enroll for the first day of school a day late. Not good at all. If you go, I hope your stay mirrors the stays of all those who gave the positive reviews, not ours.

Room Tip: Rooms seem more or less the same.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Don L
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Very good place to stay in Camiguin. The owners/managers of the resorts are very helpful and accomodating.
Although, for the price, an extra effort on the cleanliness of the room and better service at the restaurant would be welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NicoAkr
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Camiguin Action Geckos at the end of July 2012, and had an awesome time. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and did their best to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. They surprised my wife with cake on the morning of her birthday, and prepared a candlelit dinner at our cottage that night. Even when the weather wasn't good, they did everything they could to keep the resort looking good, and functioning properly. The rooms are basic, but have everything you need for a good beach holiday. We will definitely go back and stay there again. Thanks for everything Michelle and Uli.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard P
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Action Geckos resort is the best resort in Camiguin! It's unfortunate that our vacation was so packed that we only stayed here for a night. However, for that short period of stay we felt very welcome. Kudos to their manager Michelle who made sure that all our inquiries and needs were satisfied and to their staff, Ate Annalyn, who serves us whole-heartedly.

The resort has the basic amenities, there is no fancy gym or recreational centers. But what Action Geckos can give you is 100% pure service! The location itself is very relaxing especially after spending the whole day touring Camiguin island.

Food is excellent as well! You might find it pricey but the quality of their mouth-watering food definitely justifies it.

I will definitely go back to Camiguin. I still have to Mt Hibok-hibok to explore and Camiguin Action Geckos will be my home away from home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Wigel E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mambajao
Camiguin Highland Resort
Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club
Paras Beach Resort
Paras Beach Resort
#6 of 9 in Mambajao

Been to Camiguin Action Geckos Dive & Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!