“Made Samana our favorite port on our cruise”

Tour Samana with Terry
Book In Advance
More Info
$95.00*
and up
Los Haitises National Park and Cayo Levantado Island Day Trip from Samana
More attraction details
Owner description: LEGENDARY TOURS EVERYDAY. Tour Samana with Terry offers the HIGHEST rated tours and excursions to all corners of the Samana Peninsula. From Horseback to Quads to Zip Line to Whale tours enjoy their unmatched attention to detail and love of this beautiful natural wonderland. Activities for all ages. Welcome families!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pennsylvania
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Made Samana our favorite port on our cruise”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I did the #5 Low Impact Culture Tour with Terry while in Samana as part of our recent Caribbean cruise. It was the best thing we did on the entire trip! Terry e-mailed me our tour confirmation almost immediately after booking it online. He was very quick to respond to the e-mails I sent him and very professional. Terry and his guides were waiting for us as soon as we stepped off the pier. Terry organized everyone by what tour they were going on, and as soon as all eight members of our culture tour were present, we got on our safari truck and off we went.

Our guide was Tom, and since he was originally from Texas spoke perfect English, so there was no trouble understanding him (a complaint we heard from a couple who did a culture tour with a different company). As we traveled though the hills of the Dominican Republic, we learned about the political and cultural history of the island. There was always something to take a picture of, from locals carrying the most bizarre things on their motor bikes to gorgeous panoramic views of the coastline.

The culture tour makes several stops. First, we visited a woman who bakes coconut bread over a wood fired oven. Next we stopped at a small cigar “factory” where a man showed us how he rolls the tobacco leaves, molds them and dries them into cigars. Anyone who wanted could try one of the cigars. My husband, who smokes cigars frequently, said they were very good and even bought a box to take home. The cigar “factory” is attached to a small gift shop and across the street from a lovely little church made out of seashells. We then headed off the paved roads for a bumpy, but exciting ride to El Valle beach, where a local woman made us a delicious buffet lunch (grilled chicken, mahi-mahi, fried rice, plantain chips, Dominican potato salad and cabbage salad) and Tom handed out cold beer, sodas, and bottled water. I loved seeing the looks on the other people’s faces when Tom told them the meat we were about to eat had been running around and swimming just that morning. Although you can’t swim at the El Valle beach because of the rip tides, it was beautiful and we took a lot of pictures. Tom timed our lunch perfectly, so that as we were leaving, one of Terry’s next tours was arriving, ensuring it never got too crowded.

After lunch we headed to a waterfall. It was about a ten minute hike to the waterfall. Terry has helped organize the local youth to work as guides. The young lady who walked beside me stopped often to show me local flora, such as the blossoms from a coffee plant and aromatic leaves of a lemon tree. There is a point just before the waterfall where you have to cross a 2-3 foot deep stream via sandbag stepping stones. My local guide walked through the water, holding my hand so I could steady myself across the sand bags. I have no doubt I probably would have fallen in without her assistance, as I have horrible balance and the sand bags were spaced widely. It is customary to tip your waterfall guide a dollar or two for their help. The waterfall is very pretty, though not very large, but it does have a calm, deep pool for swimming.

Our final stop was at an open air pavilion for a cultural presentation of local food and drink. Tom split open a cocoa pod for us to sample the raw seeds, which taste like slimy sweet tarts instead of chocolate. We tried some local fruit, including plantains and coconut. Our favorite was the shredded coconut mixed with honey and cocoa. Samples of the local sangria (very strong) and hot chocolate were also handed out. At the end, you could purchase some containers of what you just tasted to take home. Our tour made Samana our favorite port on the entire cruise, and if we ever find ourselves in Samana again, we will definitely do another of Terry’s tours.

1 Thank Celeste S

Belleville, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Get off the ship and see Samana with Terry!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Samana was one of our stops on a Royal Carribean Cruise from Baltimore Feb/2013. Don't be affraid to get off the cruise ship like some other people will do. Yes you will run into people trying to sell you something....just keep saying No Thank You and move on (They are only trying to make a living). We booked tour #11 with Terry and loved it, especially the educational part, the delicious lunch on the gorgeous beach and seeing how the locals really live. Book this excursion with Terry and you will be safe and have an amazing Samana experience. Mario was our guide and he was great! Go to Terry's web site to see the video for finding Terry's tours when you get off the ship, very simple. Bring a few 1 dollar bills for the locals that help during the tour.

1 Thank Roger S
Syracuse, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Zip Line Tour #11”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was the most well-rounded excursions one could take while visiting Samana or any port for that matter. Tour Samana with Terry has their business clicking on all cylinders and delivers!

The ZipLine itself was awesome! Our group of 13 moved steadily through the lines with no real delay. Terry's team was quick to keep the group moving and having fun. Terry himself was leading our tour and was quick with a fact on local culture and their daily life on the island. We never felt in harm’s way with his system and rode every zip line with confidence knowing we would be safe.

Included in the day were cold drinks of all sorts. Water, sodas, beer, and a bottle of rum is someone wanted. After the zip line was finished, we walked to the water falls at the bottom and had a chance to swim while looking at local wares being sold. The people there were not pushy, just forward on the fact they wanted you to look at their table of stuff. We were in the last group of the day, so our time at the falls was about 15 minutes, but enough to look and buy some items.

Once finished at the falls, we loaded up in the truck and took about a 10 minute ride to where lunch was being served. As we pulled in, the ATV tour was just leaving. Talking with others on our cruise, Terry’s group has it planned very well. The Culture Tour was leaving as the ATV's showed up and the ATV's were leaving as our ZipLine tour arrived. No two groups were on top of each other trying to eat. There were plenty of tables for our group when we arrived. Lunch was good. Local fish, seasoned chicken, rice, local root veggies, coconut, and pineapple.

After lunch we were able to walk the beach that was about 30 yards from where we were sitting. The tide was up and the waves were fairly big, so no one was able to swim. It did make for some great pictures. The group hung out for about an hour total and then loaded up to head back to the ship. A few stops on the way for some pictures. On our way back to the ships dock, we stopped for about 45 minutes for a mini-culture demonstration by Terry. It featured everything from sampling fresh Cocoa beans to a local liquor that is made by soaking the roots of a plant in wine and honey. We also got to sample fresh coconut, papaya, and pineapple.

The tour ended with plenty of time to catch the tender back to the ship.

Thank you Tour Samana with Terry for an enjoyable and unforgettable excursion that blows any ship guided tour out of the water!

2 Thank sfelber9
youngstown
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best day ever!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Our family and friends took tour #11 "Walk the Plank Zipline" tour with Terry. We absolutely loved every minute of our day in Samana, thanks to Terry! From the reservation process, to letting us off at the pier, Terry was a wonderful host. We were lucky enough to have Terry join us on our tour, and words cannot describe how much Terry loves his job and his island. The zipline was absolutely incredible, top notch facility and workers. Lunch was delicious, with gorgeous scenery! The culture talk was really interesting, the kids loved trying all the fruits of the island....especially the chocolate! I would definintely do this tour again if ever in Samana. Yes Samana is a very poor part of our world, but remember your tourism dollars help these wonderful people! Thanks again Terry for making our visit memorable!

2 Thank jakenashleysmom
Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“"Thumbs Up" to Tour Samana With Terry”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Before leaving for our vacation at Bahia Principe El Portillo I pre-booked two tours with Tour Samana with Terry. I can't say enough good things about Terry and his guides and their treatment of us. The waterfall tour was awesome, I was a little scared at first being only my second time on a horse, first experience in Puerto Plata was not an enjoyable one, but I worried about it for nothing. Having a personal guide for each rider is a great idea, and now I see why, can get a little treacherous in some areas. Might not be the ideal tour for someone who is frail or suffers from arthritis or for younger children. My guide Nancy was just a sweetheart, she never left my side the whole trip and even held my hand on the stairs going down to the falls and back up again. I had to stop twice to catch my breath on the way up, she stayed with me until I was ready to continue. Once we got to the falls she sat with our things while we swam and kept an eye on them for us. Lunch was delicious, I especially enjoyed the breaded deep fried yucca, my first time eating it and couldn't get enough of it. We had Elijah as our tour guide and we had so much fun with him (and a very interesting lesson in Samana and Las Terrenas history) that we asked if he could join us again on the whale watching tour and we were happy to see him when we were picked up for that tour. Saw quite a few adult whales and one that flipped it's fin on the water sixteen times, the driver of the boat was so excited when he was counting them, I thought he was going to fall overboard, lol !! The highlight of that trip was the mother whale that would surface and as she went back underwater her baby would jump up out of the water and dive down, this went on for quite a while, the baby was performing for us I think. They weren't too far away from our boat so we got to see a great show and got lots of good photos. Good time on Leventano Island too, it was a beautiful day so that made it even more enjoyable. I opted to skip lunch and watch all our things, Elijah came looking for me, wanted to make sure I got something to eat. We found the vendors on the island a little overbearing when we did some shopping but having Lobo and Elijah (our guides) with us made us feel very comfortable. They translated and made sure we weren't getting ripped off. What a nice touch! I've been on a lot of tours on my trips over the years, but have never had our guides look after us the way they did. His staff goes out of their way to make everyone feel comfortable, safe and to make sure we all had a great time. All in all, Terry's tours were one of the best times of our vacation and we'll remember them for years to come. One of our group did the ziplining tour, it was her first time, and she said not once did she feel nervous, Terry's equipment is topnotch and very safe. We hope to be back to this area some day and will book some of Terry's other tours. I highly recommend booking with "Tour Samana With Terry", you won't be sorry and you'll have a great time.

1 Thank Loreez